| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Restaurants in Vancouver
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:57 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Hello,

I remember that in the old forum there were a bunch of restaurant recommendations buried deep within the thread. I was hoping we could resurrect this now that we have a shiny new place to do it that will allow us to easily find information. I know most of these are well known here, but I thought it would be nice to corral everything for those that may be new or just visiting.

I figured that I would begin by adding a few restaurants. It is pretty evident that I am easy to please. I know there are a lot more, but
I am only going to write the ones that I have eaten at thus far:

Bandidas Taqueria: Vegan/Vegetarian Mexican restaurant on Commercial drive. I personally find it delicious and generally pleasing to omnivores.

The Perch: I have only been once. but I enjoyed it. Found the eating area a little too grungy, but I have become pickier as time goes on and I don't
know if anyone else would feel that way. I know you can veganize a lot of their menu including pizza.

Afghan Horseman: I like their vegan platter. A lot. It is a little more expensive than the rest of the places I have mentioned and there is a lot of
meat on the menu.

Cafe Kathmandu: Nepali food on the drive. There are several vegan options and I really like that they mention how they use seperate cutlery on their menu.
I have been a couple of times and I enjoyed it

Edible Flours: Vegan bakery full of deliciousness.

Loving Vegan Pizza: Greasy pizza with heaps of daiya. I am in love.

Gorilla Foods: Raw food downtown. It has been a while, but I remember finding it enjoyable.

Organic Lives: Raw food off of main street. Same as above.

Nuba: Middle Eastern cuisine that I finally tried and regret that I hadn't done so a long time ago.

Addis cafe, Harambe, Gojo little Africa cafe: They all deserve their own entry, but I have to run. They are all on Commercial and I
prefer Harambe. Addis is the cheapest.

Nyala: Ethiopian food on Main st. that is more expensive than the ones on the drive. Tasty and less casual than the others.

Additions, anyone? I haven't eaten at Wild Rice, the Loving Hut food cart, or the Noodle Box. And Karmavore has all
those delicious sounding things in their deli (a sundae!). I am sure there are a ton I am either forgetting or
know nothing about.

Post subject: Re: Restaurants in Vancouver
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:41 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Japadog is delicious! And has an actual storefront location, which I was surprised about.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:32 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I've only been to two vegan friendly restaurants in Van and was very pleased with them both :)
Foundation 2301 Main St
The Naam 2724 West 4th Avenue http://www.thenaam.com/

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:50 pm 
Chard Martyr

I forking love Wild Rice, but wet-blanket Vancouver ppkers don't agree with me. :P The chef is so nice, loves vegans, and aims to please. I love that they switch their menu up a lot. It's expensive, though, since the plates are small and you want to taste everything that is vegan.

I didn't like Nyala, but I should try it again. Everyone seems to favour Red Sea for Ethiopian, but I prefer Harambe.

RIP Radha.

I was really surprised by how much I loved Panz Veggie. 3G is yummy too.

Kathmandu is my fave, I think. Love the place, the food, and the owner.

For sushi, I like Eatery for completely non- traditional rolls, and for some reason I really love Taiko on Denman.

Man, Organic Lives just peas me off because it's so insanely expensive, not as friendly (or tasty!) as Gorilla and that weird white warehouse room does not make me happy to throw down tons of cash for a meal.

canuck_in_scotland recently recommended Calabash Bistro, and I'm dying to try the vegetarian platter.

Is it dumb that I feel the need to recommend Solly's bagels? fork, I miss those things so much.

Edible Flours is adorable and Karmavore is heaven!

I'll think on more. I'm kind of a brat and not really that easy to please, but I love Vancouver foodz. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:44 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Here's my quick list, sorry for the brevity, I'm off to go hiking! Most of my favourites have bee listed, but here's a few more.

Sejuiced on 4th
Dharma Kitchen on Broadway
Planet Veg on Cornwall
Loving Pizza place on Broadway
The Wallflower on Main
Rhizhome Cafe on Broadway
Cafe du Soleil AND Cafe Deux Soleil on Commercial
My Local Cafe - 10th and Alma-ish
Paul's Stir Fry - Nelson St.
Budgie's Burritos - Kingsway
The Templeton on Granville
Buddha-Full - off of Lonsdale in NV

Clearly not all totally vegan but they are worthwhile hitting up!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:43 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I just have one to add:

The Pizza Jerk - Commercial, it doesn't have a sign, just a Jamaican flag on the overhang. It is omni, but they only use soy cheese and homemade crusts, and they have forking amazing pizzas and "irie bowls", including one with Jerk Tofu.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:34 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Wild Rice is hands down one of the best restaurants in the city and it shocks me that there are people who don't love being able to order almost anything on the menu including some of the best desserts in the city.

Calabash Bistro is pretty exciting, the people there are up on what a vegan can eat and have multiple options including rotating specials. Great cocktails too.

Veggie Chau Express is one of my favourite places these days. Hearty and fresh bowls with different options for broths. Wish it was closer to me but well worth the trip.

Po Kong is better than Whole Vegetarian but there's still good stuff at Whole Veg.

I love the muffins at My Local Cafe.

Anyone been to Rumpus Room?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:28 pm 
Chard Martyr

theque wrote:
Wild Rice is hands down one of the best restaurants in the city and it shocks me that there are people who don't love being able to order almost anything on the menu including some of the best desserts in the city.

Calabash Bistro is pretty exciting, the people there are up on what a vegan can eat and have multiple options including rotating specials. Great cocktails too.

Veggie Chau Express is one of my favourite places these days. Hearty and fresh bowls with different options for broths. Wish it was closer to me but well worth the trip.

Po Kong is better than Whole Vegetarian but there's still good stuff at Whole Veg.

I love the muffins at My Local Cafe.

Anyone been to Rumpus Room?

Yay! Team Wild Rice!

My Local Cafe was half a block from my last suite in Vancouver and I loved them. They made me the best vegan sandwiches.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:27 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Went to Grub for the first time last night! The vegan special was wicked, too bad I didn't have room for the dessert, but my wallet was thankful :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:31 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

mel b wrote:
Went to Grub for the first time last night! The vegan special was wicked, too bad I didn't have room for the dessert, but my wallet was thankful :)

GRUB!!! Everytime I go it's the best food I've ever eaten. Oh man.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:40 pm 

Lots of vegan friendly coffe shops too:
-All JJ beans have vegan muffins and cookies.
-Our town on broadway and kingsway has lots o veegs muffins as well as a sandwich and roti.
-Gene on the little kingsway/main street wedge has vegan baked goods.
-Nelson the seagull on carral and Cordova-ish has amazing fresh baked bread and homemade almond milk. They also usually have vegan soup and a vegan sandwich.
-Bean around the world has shiitake coffee, but lots of vegan fare. At least the one on main and 10th does
-Prado on commersh has at least one (very tasty) vegan cookie
-No vegan eats, but AMAZING coffee (soy milk avail, obvs) at Kafka's on main near broadway, Elysian room on broadway near cambie, and a new place called revolver on cambie near Hastings. fork I love coffee.
-oh! La taqueria has the bestest most authentic tacos anywhere! Two locations: cambie near broadway and Hastings near cambie.

Last edited by fishelle on Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:42 pm 

Now I've really gotten going....
Commercial drive is basically One big vegan friendly food court. I will always love sweet cherubim and deserts for they're yummy and cheap curries and treats.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:46 pm 

Chutney villa on broadway and main! Dosas! Also that dosa Place on west broadway. What's it called? And house of dosas on kingsway. Now I want a dosa.

Aaaaand I'm done!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:48 pm 
Chard Martyr

I will always love Sweet Cherubim samosas and the cilantro chutney.

I'm dying to go to Grub, already!

Are you thinking of Saravanaa Bhavan, fishelle? I like that place! It's at Oak/Broadway-ish.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:04 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

House of Dosa is my favourite place ever. 24 hour dosa! 6 blocks from my bf's house! We eat a lot of dosa.

Bump and Grind on Commercial has a bunch of vegan stuff, nice ambiance, good coffee, wireless. Continental Coffee at Commercial and 2nd has SO MUCH vegan food. I was there the other day and they had at least 8 treats, many of which (if not all) were also gluten free.

As ever I'm in love with the Wallflower's mac and cheese.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:40 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

j-dub wrote:
House of Dosa is my favourite place ever. 24 hour dosa! 6 blocks from my bf's house! We eat a lot of dosa.

I forgot about House of Dosa! I always take out of towners there. It is so freaking good!

I need to go to the wallflower sometime.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:09 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I have always wondered about House of Dosa's. I wasn't sure how vegan friendly they were. Do I need any menu advice? And does anyone know if they have separate fryers?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:42 pm 
Chard Martyr

La Taqueria. shiitake you guys. Those tacos are gooooood. The mushroom ones are amazing and both the tomatillo and habanero salsa are insanely delicious. The tofu ones are good too. I want 87 tacos (at least) right now. I know if anyone I know from SF reads this they'll freak, but I haven't had better tacos in California.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:07 am 

What about Deserts on the drive? I recently discovered their samosa's - 4 for $5.50 and SO good!!

I just moved really close to The Perch but have only eaten there once but I definitely want to go back soon.

To anyone who works downtown - There is a coffee shop called "My Honey's Buns" in Cathedral place that makes a mean cup of coffee and has some vegan cookies and bar-type things. My favourite is the chocolate peanut butter cookie.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:11 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

[quote="erindisaster"]What about Deserts on the drive? I recently discovered their samosa's - 4 for $5.50 and SO good!!

Went to Deserts for my first time (I'm subletting on the Drive til January) and it was AWESOME! Didn't have the samosas but the Chef's special (naan, two kinds of curry, rice and... weirdly... salsa). It was great. We also got a tabbouleh salad and baklava and shared the whole thing. It's really cheap but I gotta say, I think the indian stuff is better than the middle eastern stuff. Just sayin'. When we were in chick behind the counter was running the show, making dinner for about 10 people and running everything through the till. Put money in her tip jar!

First place I went to that was specifically vegan friendly since I've been back was the Naam. I know it gets a bad rap for 'custy' service but nothing to terrible has ever happened to me while I've been there (although my meal did come with unmelted daiya on it last time I was there and I had to be all, 'um... melt that?') and he portions are so HUGE and DELCICIOUS for what you get. MISO GRAVY on EVERYTHING!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:10 am 
Chard Martyr

Last time I went to the Naam it was with mishka and epicurvegan and we were like, "why are we all such bisques about the Naam?". It's always fine. The veganized gado gado (no egg) is my fave! Don't be deterred by the word "salad", it's really a bowl of potatoes with a bunch of veggies, tofu, and warm tamarind gravy. I like Naam a lot more than Dharma Kitchen, despite the non-veganness. I don't think I've ever had a bad service experience there, though the breakfasts leave much to be desired and I really hate waiting for a table when I'm starving.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:36 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Anyone been to Indigo Cafe? Today's Ethical Deal is for a fancy tea service there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:13 pm 
Chard Martyr

I was wondering about that place! It looks interesting. I don't know if I'd even be willing to pay $20 for a bunch of raw stuff, though, since it sounds like it is mainly desserts and I don't really love those really heavy raw sweets. The regular menu looks pretty tasty, though!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:58 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

acadaca wrote:
Nyala: Ethiopian food on Main st. that is more expensive than the ones on the drive. Tasty and less casual than the others.

Nyala is closing or has already closed. I'm sad that an independent restaurant serving vegan food has closed, but I was never too fond of their food.

There's also now that Vegan Pizza House place at Victoria and Kingsway (they also deliver!), and the new Loving Hut food cart at Nelson and Pacific.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mishka wrote:
There's also now that Vegan Pizza House place at Victoria and Kingsway (they also deliver!), and the new Loving Hut food cart at Nelson and Pacific.

It's actually on Davie and Pacific! I've gone a few times already and the sandwiches are quite tasty (granted, I've only tried the crispy chicken burger, but it's so delicious I can't imagine the others aren't as well).