| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Edmonton bikers
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:17 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I've wanted to buy a bicycle for a couple years but I have no idea what to buy or where to buy it. I'm clueless!

I want to commute to and from work everyday. I'm conventiely living near Rundle Park so I'd like to utilize the trails to reach work near the Legislature Building. I'd also love to take it out for rides on the weekends.

I know absolutely nothing about the subject. Would anyone be willing to help a guy out? Money is a concern too. I'll absolutely spend enough to get a decent bike but can't afford too much. I'd hope to stay in the $500 - $1000 range.

Any help would be super swell!

Post subject: Re: Edmonton bikers
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:41 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Do you know what type of trails you want to ride on and what kind of rides you want to do on the weekends? Do you plan on doing any riding in the winter?

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:05 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

The trails I'd take to and from work are moslty paved trails. On the weekends I'd be on paved and dirt trails. The dirt trails are nothing serious. I'd like to do winter riding when the time comes. Winter would be on the same trails.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:11 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I would probably try and find a cyclocross bike. It's a bit above your budget, but I used to have a Cannondale CaadX, and it was a really versatile, fun bike. I see that the 2014 model with the entry level components (Shimano Tiagra) is currently retailing for about $1,250. They're a pretty popular bike, so you could probably find a used one around someplace. You could also try something like the Surly Cross Check.

Western Cycles is a great shop (I don't live in Edmonton now, but I spent my first 27-odd years there - I bought my very first bike at Western), and I've heard good things about Revolution Cycle as well. Redbike is also great, but might be a bit more high end... though I could be remembering wrong.

I would go and talk to some shops. You can ask about the Caadx and see if they maybe have last year's models. Hopefully that helps!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:51 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Thank you so much for taking your time to help me out! Lots for me to look into. I hope I can figure it all out from here. On my own.

Wooo! I haven't been this excited in a while haha.

Thanks again jordanpattern. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:26 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I ended up purchasing a bicycle on Thursday. It is nothing fancy but I needed one and it was in my price point. Thank you again jordanpattern. I wasn't able to follow your suggestion but your input gave me the confidence boost I needed to go in and buy one.