| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vancouver restaurant recs?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:26 pm 
Dead by dawn

Hey Vancouver, I will be in the Mother Land briefly this weekend to run the half marathon. I had to pay through the nose for a hotel room so I'm only here mid-day Saturday until late morning Sunday. I need somewhere I can meet my aunt for lunch Saturday (any part of town is OK) and somewhere I can get dinner (close to the Convention Center would be best so I can walk.) My aunt's cool with going to a vegan place, but an omni place with vegan options is fine, too. Not sure what I'll want to eat so I can't really narrow it down more than that... So, whatcha got?

Post subject: Re: Vancouver restaurant recs?
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:55 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Hi monkeytoes! I know not of the fine dining side of Edmonton, but delicious and inexpensive, I can tell about! Try Hoshi Sushi for awesome vegan sushi, they will do brown rice in the sushi as an option also. It's at 2825 West Broadway. Another good place with a "street food" vibe is JapaDog, aannnddd somebody else will have to help figure out where it is located! Last year, there was a cart that roved, and a small storefront shop for them, can't remember where but i think near the Waterfront/Canada Place skytrain station?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:13 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Sadly there's nothing awesome downtown for eating. You can walk to Hon's on Robson at Jervis for really greasy Chinese food - they have a completely separate kitchen for their vegetarian dishes. Your best bet and it's not that far is Wild Rice on Pender at Abbott. Half the menu is vegan. The one thing you must must do is have sorbetto or soy gelato at Bella Gellatria, which is at the corner of Burrard and Cordova across the street from the convention center. Try the chocolate sorbetto.

For lunch consider going to Veggie Chau Express on Victoria near 34th for the curry noodle soup - arguably the best curry I've ever had.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

1strangegirlbygolly! wrote:
Hi monkeytoes! I know not of the fine dining side of Edmonton, but delicious and inexpensive, I can tell about! Try Hoshi Sushi for awesome vegan sushi, they will do brown rice in the sushi as an option also. It's at 2825 West Broadway. Another good place with a "street food" vibe is JapaDog, aannnddd somebody else will have to help figure out where it is located! Last year, there was a cart that roved, and a small storefront shop for them, can't remember where but i think near the Waterfront/Canada Place skytrain station?

Japadog has a few food carts around town (Burrard and Smithe and in front of the Waterfront station) and also a brick and mortar place on Robson and Seymour. I think they butter their buns though, so you have to be careful when ordering.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:05 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Downtown: Wild Rice, Nuba, Panz Veggie, La Taqueria. All awesome! Wild Rice is my favourite. If I were you I'd get tacos for lunch and Wild Rice for dinner.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:06 am 

PS...next time you need a hotel in Vancouver, let me know. I have a hook-up through my uncle at a really nice place!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:46 am 
Dead by dawn

Thanks guys, I will drop all this in my aunt's lap and see what she's up for.

vijita wrote:
PS...next time you need a hotel in Vancouver, let me know. I have a hook-up through my uncle at a really nice place!

I just may take you up on that. I brought the hotel issue on myself by not booking at one of the partner hotels before they filled up. My aunt used to live in town, but she's clear out in Delta now which is fine if I'm just up to poke around for the weekend, but not if I have to get up at the crack of dawn to be at a start line at 6:30am!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:55 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Go to Loving Hut Food Truck!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:05 am 

monkeytoes wrote:
Thanks guys, I will drop all this in my aunt's lap and see what she's up for.

vijita wrote:

I just may take you up on that. I brought the hotel issue on myself by not booking at one of the partner hotels before they filled up. My aunt used to live in town, but she's clear out in Delta now which is fine if I'm just up to poke around for the weekend, but not if I have to get up at the crack of dawn to be at a start line at 6:30am!

Do! It's a really nice place next to Stanley Park, a block from Whole Foods in the West end. And there is good sushi, Vietnamese, and vegan pizza to be had in the West End. :)

Good luck with your race! I have a few friends running it too.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:50 pm 
Dead by dawn

My aunt and I ended up doing lunch out her way because she wanted me to see her new place. But I just finished Wild Rice for dinner and I'm going to get tacos tomorrow before I hit the road. Nom. :)