| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NB/NS/QC Road Trip Food Ideas
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:36 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Our summer vacation this year is a 2 week Canada road trip. I've done some research and it looks like we won't starve to death, but I wanted to check if there are any restaurants (or stores) we should make a point to visit.

We will have a cooler, but no cooking/heating facilities. The plan is to do a mix of picnic and restaurant meals, mainly because my son doesn't like to sit still in restaurants.

Our route is:

Portland, ME (1 night)
Bar Habor, ME (2 nights)
St. John, NB (1 night)
Digby, NS (2 night)
Lunenburg, NS (2 night)
Alma, NB (1 night)
Grand Falls, NB (1 night)
Tadoussac, QC (1 night)
Quebec City, QC (2 nights)
Montreal, QC (2 nights)

Post subject: Re: NB/NS/QC Road Trip Food Ideas
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:03 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Aux vivres in Montreal!!

Other than that I have no suggestions.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:54 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Atlantic Canada has Superstore and Bulk Barn and between the two you are covered for groceries.

Lunenburg is one of my favourite places in NS! Lincoln Street Food will have you covered. And check out Ironworks Distillery if you are interested in distilleries.

When you are in Digby go to Annapolis Royal because it IS my favourite place in NS, and maybe the country. A trip up to the valley will get you some vegan stuff too (and me). :)

NS is pretty easy for groceries and stuff because there are farmers markets absolutely everywhere in the summer, and lots of fun events. Let me know closer to when you are coming and I can make some specific suggestions. The maritimes are beautiful in the summer--you are going to have a great time. I am so envious of that itinerary.

If you get to Fredericton--it is a really fun town. And very vegan-friendly. Halifax is awesome too.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:06 pm 
Inflexitarian

In Quebec, my favorite is Les Délices d'Ariana (Afghan food). Many vegan options, but the restaurant is omni unfortunately. There are various legume or vegetable dishes to choose from, also naan bread.

My second choice, if you are ready to take the 15-minute ferry to Lévis, would be Le Soixante Cinq (vegetarian, mostly vegan, unfortunately not strong on legumes/tofu). They have brunch on the weekends.

I don't like raw food myself, but if you do, there are Crudessence, Ôm Prana and Qui Lu Cru. Some of their dishes have honey.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:06 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

In Halifax we also have a few health stores and tasty places to eat.

PM me if your going to be in Halifax!

Sadly SJ is terrible for most things, sense of tokyo downtown has some vegan food stuff tho! If you stop in Moncton on your drive GO TO CALCTUS! its amazing.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:00 pm 
Inflexitarian

In Montreal, my favorite is Yuan (a quality Asian all-you-can-eat, vegetarian with most choices vegan). I also like the dim sum at Su Shian Yuang.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:04 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks for all the suggestions.

We're actually leaving June 4, so very soon. I'm getting excited and hoping for good weather. The only change from the itinerary I posted is that I cut Tadoussac and we're going to take a whale watching trip from the other side of the St. Lawrence instead. It saved us 4 hours driving time total, which is a big deal since my son does not enjoy the car.

We are definitely planning to visit Annapolis Royal and Fredericton. We are passing through Moncton too, so maybe I can time it so that we stop for lunch. Because my husband wanted to squeeze Quebec into this trip, I don't think we'll have time to stop in Halifax. We had to cut a ton of stuff I wanted to see in NS, so hopefully we'll have a chance to come back in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:03 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

How was the trip?!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:34 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

We just got back yesterday. It was a great trip minus some meltdowns by my 3 year old and one disappointingly wet day that caused us to miss out on most of New Brunswick. We wound up not really stopping at all between Fundy NP and Grand Falls because of the downpour.

In Lunenburg, we did get to try Lincoln Street Food and it was wonderful. I had a curry tofu dish that was amazing and the lime tart, which was good. We did not wind up stopping at any of the other recommended places to eat.

In Montreal, we had planned to try Aux Vivres, but I decided a sit down meal wasn't a good idea that day given my son's exhaustion. Instead, we went to Cafe Chat L'Heureux, which is a vegetarian cat cafe with a few vegan options. My son was so happy petting all the cats. I actually enjoyed all of my food, especially the espresso. I hope they will consider expanding their vegan options.

I was pleasantly surprised with the number of food options everywhere we went. In most places, we just walked around and read menus and went into whichever place had something that sounded worth eating. I ate more salad than I otherwise would have, but we also found lots of more interesting options.

Since we covered so much distance in our trip, we didn't get to see even a fraction of what there was to see. I would love to come back to the Maritimes in particular to cover all of the ground that we sped past.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:13 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Come back! :) I am glad you went to Lincoln Street Food! They now have vegan fish and chips on the menu. Isn't Lunenburg lovely?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:42 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yes. We loved Lunenburg. It was a great place to walk around and everyone was incredibly friendly. (Really that was true wherever we went. I would stop to ask directions or a question and 20 minutes later I would still be chatting with the person who was helping me. I'm a naturally shy person, so that's a pretty clear indication of how warm and helpful people other than myself were).

My son passed out in his stroller while we were there, so my husband and I were even able to drop into Ironworks for tasting. We have a bottle of the blueberry liqueur to make cocktails with at home.