| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2014 VegFests or similar events in Western Canada?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:27 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Hello All,

I'm curious if there are any VegFest type events (aka not just the monthly meet-up, potluck, etc) planned for anywhere in Western Canada, say from Winnipeg west. Whatcha got?

Post subject: Re: 2014 VegFests or similar events in Western Canada?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:48 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think Vancouver has one. I've never been though!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:02 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Thanks for the reply. Vancouver, Victoria & Calgary had these fests in 2012 & 2013 but so far I haven't seen anything definite for 2014... Blah.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:16 pm 
Chard Martyr

I'm not in the Vancouver loop anymore but let me investigate Victoria. FoA and Sarah Kramer spearheaded the first few but I know Sarah has a lot going on. I feel really bad that I wasn't available to volunteer last year but my job gets crazy busy in the summer. I feel like there are a decent amount of vegans (even some awesome ppkers!) in Calgary doing cool shiitake which always kind of shocks me because I grew up in Southern Alberta and it was vegan hell.

There are two of us handling marketing at my workplace and my colleague organizes cycling/ironman/running events, so now I am sitting here wondering why I am not spearheading a veg event! I do know we'd need to come up with a couple thousand dollars though...:(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:11 am 
Saggy Butt

Calgary has never done anything big like a Veg fest (although I'm hoping maybe in the future..), we just have a big bake sale every year.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:14 am 
Chard Martyr

Calgary should do a vegfest during the Stampede! I would move back to Alberta to help organize that shiitake!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:15 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Alberta V.V.O.A. ( vegans and vegetarians of Alberta) do Vegtoberfest now, many public events and activities throughout October to promote vegetarian eating and life. It's in Edmonton. I believe this will be about the third year? Its not huge yet, but its really cool and the events all culminate with a quite large finale event with draws for prizes (I won a tattoing cert. the year I went) and a fun group partt feel. Theee had been a preowned vegan cookbook sale when I was, too. I think it should be getting better advertising now in the future, hopefully. I will have to mention to some of the organizers, in a nice way, that I went to some of the events when I did one october only because I had heard about them word-of-mouth from sarah kramer when I was in vi toria over the summer, lol! What are the chances? To be fair, i did not live within Edmonton then. But hey, it worked. I'll post whatevrer deatails for vegtober fest when it gets closer and becomes available. I'll be there! Its fun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:01 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Maggie Muggins wrote:
Calgary has never done anything big like a Veg fest (although I'm hoping maybe in the future..), we just have a big bake sale every year.

I saw this: https://www.facebook.com/CalgaryVegFest and just skimmed the page. Looks like it was more of a buffet dinner than anything...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:03 pm 
Huffs Nooch

The VVOA Vegtoberfest definitely sounds cool! Hopefully I'll make it up there to Alberta sometime soon & maybe for the fest.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:44 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

1strangegirlbygolly! wrote:
Alberta V.V.O.A. ( vegans and vegetarians of Alberta) do Vegtoberfest now, many public events and activities throughout October to promote vegetarian eating and life. It's in Edmonton. I believe this will be about the third year? Its not huge yet, but its really cool and the events all culminate with a quite large finale event with draws for prizes (I won a tattoing cert. the year I went) and a fun group partt feel. Theee had been a preowned vegan cookbook sale when I was, too. I think it should be getting better advertising now in the future, hopefully. I will have to mention to some of the organizers, in a nice way, that I went to some of the events when I did one october only because I had heard about them word-of-mouth from sarah kramer when I was in vi toria over the summer, lol! What are the chances? To be fair, i did not live within Edmonton then. But hey, it worked. I'll post whatevrer deatails for vegtober fest when it gets closer and becomes available. I'll be there! Its fun

I went to this event when I was living in Edmonton. It was really great! The calendar of events for the month is made available in advance, so you can choose what you wish to participate in. Earth's General Store is a big supporter and are usually quite involved :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:08 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I just posted info on this years Victoria Vegan Fest and VegFest Vancouver!

There are also 2 other new for 2014 VegFest's happening south of the border in Spokane, Washington: http://www.inveg.org/vegfest.html and even further south in Bend, Oregon: http://vegnetbend.org/vegfest/

Heck, even Portland has a wee lil' shindig: http://nwveg.org/vegfest

It would be lovely to have folks from BC & beyond come down to join in the fun!

Also, has anyone heard of other such events coming up out here in Cascadia (= SW CA + NW US)?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:51 pm 
Chard Martyr

cascadianvegan wrote:
I just posted info on this years Victoria Vegan Fest and VegFest Vancouver!

Cool! Where did you post it?

ETA I found it, sorry!

Man, I've never been able to attend Victoria's event because I always work Canada Day. I hope it's awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:29 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Looks like I forgot to post the Van VegFest in this forum - sorry. I just added it!