| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: EDMONTON: the thread
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:52 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Thanks, Robynn. I really like their coconut milk and will try their yogurt. I really like Earth's General Store and I"m curious when Roots will reopen. Anyone heard any news on that front?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:44 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

kecapcrazy wrote:
Thanks, Robynn. I really like their coconut milk and will try their yogurt. I really like Earth's General Store and I"m curious when Roots will reopen. Anyone heard any news on that front?

I think it opens back up in January, but the cafe part won't be re-opening.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:42 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Who's been to Noorish? I love it!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:15 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Me! Loved it and will be going back later on this week. Had the root veggies with some yummy tahini sauce and fatoushe salad, and some bites of (someone else's) veggie burger. It was all great.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:13 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I had brunch there just after it opened, and it was fantastic! I'm hoping to go back for supper soon so I can try other delicious things :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:05 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I volunteer there on Thursday evenings in exchange for food and yoga. So, if you're there on Thursdays find the person who is looking confused and say hi (it will be me!).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:57 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I had supper at the Veggie Garden Restaurant on Saturday night. For anyone who hasn't been there, I would definitely recommend it. It's in Chinatown, next door to where the Oriental Veggie House used to be. The menu is Chinese and Vietnamese, the food is good and super cheap compared to most restaurants. It's vegetarian (so watch out for the egg noodles) but mostly vegan. I can hardly wait to eat there again!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:35 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Howdy,

I'm coming (back) to Edmonton at the end of the month to show my shiny new fiance around town. I haven't been back in abut two years, what's changed? What should I do? Any (food specifically) suggestions?

And can I say, I'm a little heartbroken to hear that OVH is closed? :(
Does Remedy still have vegan cheesecake?
Are Daiya wedges at Earths General Store?
Does Habesha still have vegan friendly buffets on Wednesday?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:19 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Hi! Congrats on your fiance! I can't answer all your questions, but yes, Earth's general store does have the daiya wedges. And, apparantly, the Vegg! As far as food recs., i had a gift certificate to Loma House restaurant, and we all thought it was amaaazing. The owner (?) was so friendly, too! I think it's all vegan in there-it may be new from two years ago since you have last been here? They also have an in-store selection of tea and tea items for sale, and they sell a lot of fake meats in the restaurant too. It is a zen atmosphere in there, and was quiet when we went for lunch!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:17 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Excellent! the Vegg is awesome, and I'm totally going to stock up while I'm in town.

Never heard of Loma House, so that's exciting! Thanks! (also, I just noticed that there is one in the Greater Toronto Area too... it's a small world after all!)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:28 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I've never heard of Loma house either!! And I didn't know Earth's General had the wedges! thanks. If you like Indian, then check out Narayanni's. All their veg items are vegan and the first Tuesday (or Monday?) it's an all vegan buffet. Lovely spot, lovely owners/chefs.

The Clever Rabbit on 124th street is new and all vegan with vegan baking (cinnamon rolls, donuts, cookies, carrot cake). I've had some baked goods and they were tasty. I haven't had a meal there and reviews are rather mixed. I think Cafe Tiramisu on 124th street has some vegan stuff but not sure (like quinoa salad, maybe flatbread pizza w/out cheese). Oh, Noorish!!! You have to go to Noorish absolutely. It's on 109th street and about 85th ave. All vegan, juices, some raw stuff. Very yum.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:08 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

and yes, Remedy still has vegan cheesecake. They had a vegan cherry pie the other day that looked incredible.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:56 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Hi all! I'm helping plan VVOA's Vegtoberfest and I had an idea to do a sort of run-a-thon (24 hours on a treadmill in the U of A SUB), where people would pledge to eat vegan, e.g. for every 10km the group ran, they would eat vegan for a day. Would anyone be interested in running an hour or two? I'm just getting a sense of interest to see if this is even feasible. I'm not looking for any firm commitments. (It would most likely be in late October).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:36 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

They have Daiya wedges at the Safeway at Bonnie Doon!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:03 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Man, the times have certainly changed!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:15 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I noticed the daiya shreds at safeway on 109th/whyte. I've been lovin' the vegg, too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:43 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Hey all, I am needing to practice an assessment of gross motor skills in children for my class (I am studying occupational therapy at the U of A). Anyone have a child aged 6-12, or know of a child aged 6-12, whose guardians would allow me and a partner to do an assessment?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:32 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Hey Almira, I have a ten year old! It's an hour's drive for us to Edmonton, and though we do come quite often, right now I am pregnant and often queasy so sometimes not reliably able to travel. However, I could try and make it unless you find someone else-i would love to meet you,even briefly! (I don't think we've met, unless you were @ the Willamette, Oregon ppkcamp several years ago now?).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:49 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks 1strangegirlbygolly!. I'll get back to you on the details when we know more. If it all works out we could probably come to you instead of you have to make the commute.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:03 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

No worries, it's totally fine either way. I had PM'd you, this answers some of my questions but PM me if you like.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:20 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Edmonton! I'm going to be in you for 2 weeks from Jan 1 to the 15th. I'm planning to check out the vegan bakery place on 124th, and finally get to the new Padmanadi's (which I guess isn't new anymore...). Any other suggestions for new stuff?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:20 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Noorish is new-ish. Famoso has Daiya, as does La Poutine. Bloom does amazing vegan cookies at the downtown market. I'm not sure if there's other new stuff - I've only been here for a year and a bit, so everything is pretty new. My two favourites are Pad's and Remedy. If you like Pad's, check out Veggie Garden. It's like three blocks away and pretty similar, but about half the price.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:17 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

You def need to go to vegan night at Narayannis. It's a delicious Indian buffet and everything is vegan. They do this 2 Tuesdays a month. Even if you can get during their regular nights, all their veggie stuff is vegan. It's the family that used to own Block 1912. Lovely.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:48 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Yup! Narayanni's is super good. Quite pricey (after tip and tax it comes to about $30), but worth it if you want a nice night out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:18 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Hello again, some of you might remember a while back I was asking if I could practice an assessment on your child/a child you know, well I'm asking again, but this time for an older adult (>65). If you are 65 or older or know someone who is (in the Edmonton area, I have no car) who would be willing to have me and a classmate do a short interview with them and then a few standardized assessments, please PM me. There are two short cognitive assessments and one on home safety. There is an informed consent form and your confidentiality would be protected. I would not be able to discuss the scores of the assessment with the person, however, because it's just a school assignment. (Background: I am in my final year at the U of A in the occupational therapy program). THANKS!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next