| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: EDMONTON: the thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:47 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Hello, Edmonton! I'm coming for a week for a conference at UofA at the end of June (22-29). The conference days are too intense for visiting, buuuuuuut would anybody be interested in meeting up on the 22nd or 29th? (Only maybe the 29th; a conference friend and I are talking about going camping after the conference and haven't yet decided if that means leaving on the 29th or 30th).

Also, I was looking at AirBnB for places to stay, and saw a vegan couple advertising a room near one of the UofA campuses. I secretly suspect the hosts are PPKers.....Am I right? Otherwise, I'll probably stay on campus, either in the dorms at St. Joseph's or St. John's. Does anyone have opinions on either?

Thanks a bunch!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:46 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Hey lutin, I don't know either of those two places and I'm not the b'n'b-er aaand I probably will have moved back to Vancouver by then, but If not, I'd be down for meeting up on either of those two days.

Unrelated:

The stuffed french toast at The Clever Rabbit is so good. It's homemade bread, stuffed with bananas (and possibly other fruit), served with maple syrup, a berry sauce and cashew cream. They also have super good coffee. Highly recommended. (Only available on weekends)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:24 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

You guys know there's a vegan food truck coming to Edmonton, right?
https://www.facebook.com/sailinon780

My buddies Mike and Garrett are the geniuses behind this. They're solid dudes and make good food, so make sure to support the hell out them!

Post subject: Re: EDMONTON: the thread Vegan Menu at Creole Envie
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:25 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

***VEGAN MENU AT CREOLE ENVIE*** as of last week, Creole Envie have launched a vegan menu in addition to their regular menu. I can personally vouch for the Holy Trinity Hot Potato Cakes and the super awesome Chicken Fried Portabello Mushrooms (portabello mushrooms in beer batter topped with onion gravy). Vegan desert of the month is peanut butter pie. Friends I was with had the seitan sausage and roasted veggie Po' Boys which looked pretty fabulous too. Will definitely go back to try the vegan Jambalaya. Great job by vegan sous chef Laurel! They also plan to start offering a 10% discount to members of VVoA and will be included in the next VVoA diner's guide.

Last edited by Slightly Melishus on Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:30 pm 

jordanpattern wrote:

I haven't caught up with them myself, but friends who have say the food is great. Apparently the Ruebens are fantastic. I heard they are also doing vegan corn dogs?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:37 pm 

almiratanner wrote:
Yup! Narayanni's is super good. Quite pricey (after tip and tax it comes to about $30), but worth it if you want a nice night out.

As of May Naryanni's has their vegan buffet every Tuesday and have dropped the price to $15 per person. The menu is not quite the same, no more mock chicken, more beans and lentils, but still lots of variety.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:28 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Slightly Melishus wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

I haven't caught up with them myself, but friends who have say the food is great. Apparently the Ruebens are fantastic. I heard they are also doing vegan corn dogs?

Yup. The dudes doing the truck are both super awesome, solid guys. I believe they're at Wunderbar most evenings, and have been hitting up markets on 124st. and other spots around town during the day.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:45 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

What up Edmonton!? It's quiet in here! I'm planning a taco party slash outdoor movie night, and just as soon as I have details you're all invited!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:47 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yay an Edmonton activity, lol! What's up? Hope you've been keeping well. P.s. Announce what movie please (when you know) sounds like fun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:18 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Although the thread seems a bit inactive, I figured this is the best place for me to start my 'research'.
I got accepted into a PhD program at UofA, so myself and my SO will be moving to Edmonton in the fall. I will visit the city a couple times between now and the move, but I have a few questions and am looking for advice. My biggest concern is finding a place with a decent landlord, and decent rent. I have been fortunate enough to have friends as landlords for the past couple years, so that's why it's a source of anxiety for me.

Do any PPKers have any suggestions for pet friendly (2 cats) complexes? Or any general "Edmonton renting" advice? I don't necessarily need to be right in the city or near campus because I'm used to commutes, but I'd rather be closer than farther away. I'm shooting for 1 bedroom apartments or basement suites with a $700-$800 range (is this unrealistic)?

Grocery stores: any advice on best (cheapest, decent produce and tofu prices) grocery stores? Any farmer's markets?

Also we'll be looking for friends because I almost don't know anyone in Edmonton and would love to have PPKers over for dinner.

Thanks ahead of time!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:38 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'm heading to Edmonton for a few weeks, and it's been a while since I've been back home.

Things I want to eat: Frickin' Delights Donuts & Sailin' On food truck food.

I've been trying to keep tabs on what's up over there, but it's hard to do from Toronto. Any hot tips?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:55 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Frickin' Delights Donuts? I need to look into this!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:56 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Sailin' On has been killing it this year. The lineup at What The Truck blew my mind. Exposing delicious vegan food to omnivores is a wonderful thing to witness!

Has anyone eaten at Clever Rabbit recently? I remember hearing they wanted to expand the menu this year. So exciting :).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:53 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

How does Clever Rabbit stay in business? Their food is amazing but their customer service is garbage. I'm so torn. I want to support vegan businesses but I don't want to support them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:10 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Pretty impressed with Edmonton. Went there last weekend and had great meals at Creole Envie (wow!!), Clever Rabbit (got there first so no issues with service), Padmanadi and Cafe Mosaics. Sailin' On didn't seem to be operating this summer according to their website. Thanks for the advice on Creole Envie Slightly Melishus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:47 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Glad you had some great food, theque. I think sailin'on is around this summer.....I just had some of their coconut bacon on a salad tonight. sooooo goooood.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:37 pm 

Potato wrote:
Has anyone eaten at Clever Rabbit recently? I remember hearing they wanted to expand the menu this year. So exciting :).

Actually, I haven't eaten there in a while because I was bored with the menu. About the only thing I really liked was the tofu bowl and they weren't doing that with brown rice anymore so you had to have white rice. If they have expanded their menu then I will check it out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:39 pm 

theque wrote:
Pretty impressed with Edmonton. Went there last weekend and had great meals at Creole Envie (wow!!), Clever Rabbit (got there first so no issues with service), Padmanadi and Cafe Mosaics. Sailin' On didn't seem to be operating this summer according to their website. Thanks for the advice on Creole Envie Slightly Melishus

Glad you enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:17 pm 

foldered wrote:
Although the thread seems a bit inactive

You are not kidding, 7 months and no replies is certainly a bit inactive.
Hopefully you have found answers to at least some of your questions by now. I am not a renter so not the best person to reply to your apartment related questions.

I do however, enjoy eating so food questions I can answer! Edmonton has several farmer's markets although some of them are outdoor so they don't operate over the winter http://www.albertamarkets.com/markets/north-central. As for tofu etc, you can buy that at any supermarket but there is a place in Chinatown called Ying Fat Food Products that makes it fresh. We also have a small vegetarian organic supermarket called Earth's General Store. They just opened a second location but their largest store is on the southside a couple of miles from the UofA. They have pretty much anything you want in bulk and are pretty cutting edge about bringing in vegan products (they were the first to have Daiya and are still the only source for Go Max Go bars).

As for meeting people, I would suggest checking out Vegans and Vegetarians of Alberta (http://www.VofA.ca) There are potlucks and other activities to help you get familiar with Edmonton and make new friends.

I hope that helps!

Last edited by Slightly Melishus on Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: EDMONTON: the thread *Edmonton has a Vegan Doctor*
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:23 pm 

http://www.vofa.ca/news/vegan-doctor-op ... -edmonton/

Finally! A doctor who won't tell you that the human body needs meat to be healthy!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:28 pm 

Abbyssinian Restaurant is also doing a weekly vegan buffet, on Fridays. I haven't been yet but I've heard the food is good. I think it's $15 per person. http://www.abyssinianrestaurant.com/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:33 pm 

Any feedback on the vegan bake sale in July? Did anyone buy something they really loved (or really hated)?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:31 am 

The VVofA diner's guide has been re-vamped to include maps of the area. Check it out at http://www.vofa.ca/diners-guide/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5