| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ottawa v Toronto
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:32 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I have an opportunity to spend a few days in either Ottawa or Toronto. I have not been to either city before and am looking for feedback/suggestions on which might be a better option for me.
I will not have a car when I am there so want to choose the place that is more walkable to good food and major attractions. I like museums, churches, architecture, history, pubs. Do you think Toronto or Ottawa is more walkable and which has a concentration of activities within the downtown area that make moving around very easy?
Will likely have about 5 or 6 days, if I can extend that, should I try to do both places?

What say you, PPK?

Post subject: Re: Ottawa v Toronto
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:53 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Oh, this is a tough one! I love both Ottawa and Toronto.

Ottawa has the National Gallery which has a great, impressive collection and is awesome to walk around. Also Parliament Hill and all the historic buildings around there. And lots of greenspace! And pubs! The Byward Market is also a cool spot with lots of pubs, restaurants and shops.

Toronto has the Royal Ontario Museum and the Art Gallery of Ontario, both of which I lovelovelove. Also TONS of vegan food. Like, Toronto is a mecca of food. And Kensington Market which is this cool area that I don't think anyone should miss seeing.

I think Toronto is more walkable than Ottawa, so if it were me and that were an important factor, I'd go with Toronto just based on walkability.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:10 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Ottawa is a beautiful city but I feel like no car access will really limit you. It's been a while since I've been to Ottawa but I feel like the attractions are more spread out. Toronto is easy to move around in and the subway system is totally decent. Most things worth seeing are very close to the subway line. I also am totally in love with the ROM and feel like everyone needs to go.

If you're able to do both, though, that would be awesome. You probably only need a couple if days to do the walkable parts of Ottawa.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:55 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I also love both Ottawa and Toronto! The buses are pretty easy to figure out in Ottawa, but the attractions are definitely more spread out. Like others said, Toronto is super walkable and there is a subway. And if yummy vegan eats are a main attraction for you, I'd definitely pick Toronto over Ottawa (Ottawa has decent options, but it's nowhere near the level of Toronto).

Both cities have amazing museums and what-not. One PPPP and Moon have given good tips, another I would add for Ottawa is the Museum of Civilization (across the river in Gatineau).

All this being said, I agree with Moon and that if you had 2 days or so in Ottawa you could always take the train down or something and then spend 3-4 days or so in Toronto. They're both such different cities and completely wonderful in their own ways!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:16 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Toronto it is! and hopefully I can sneak in two days in Ottawa.

Thanks so much all for your suggestions and advice.