| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Montreal This summer!
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:07 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

So I got a job with the trains and I'll be hitting Montreal on and off all summer! My first trip is this Friday with a short layover, but the second trip will give me a whole free day.

So if any Montreal PPKers want to meet up shoot me a message or tell me what cool things I have to see.

Post subject: Re: Montreal This summer!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:15 am 

Next Trip has me arriving in Montreal on the Monday June 13th and leaving on the 15th. If anyone is around or has suggestions on things to do.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:16 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I live in Quebec, but my favorite restaurants in Montreal are Yuan (vegetarian, mostly vegan quality Asian all-you-can-eat), Aux Vivres (vegan, I like the weekend brunch most, they also have bowls, sandwiches, chili, etc.), Su Shian Yuang (I love the dim sum and the weird sweet squash tea), Vegan Rapide (pizza, fries, soft-serve ice cream) and La Banquise (omni restaurant, for fatty poutine with Daiya). I like bakeries Sophie sucrée (the ice cream sandwiches are the best!) and Petit Lapin. I like Panthère verte (falafel, pitas, desserts) and Copper Branch (burgers, chili, breakfasts, etc.), but not overmuch.

I enjoyed visiting the botanical garden very much, but I don't like that it is also an insectarium. I also liked the small Chinatown and the open-air market marché Jean-Talon. And I like visiting big natural-food or ethnic-food stores. Being a used-book addict, I enjoy browsing in the many bookstores on avenue du Mont-Royal (Colisée du livre, etc.). I also like Dix Mille Villages, a fair-trade chain of stores selling ceramic, bags, jewelry, decoration, gifts, food, etc. from around the world. The Parc du Mont-Royal is nice for taking walks.

My favorite attraction is the vegan festival, but it takes place in November.

I have pictures here from the botanical garden and Aux Vivres: http://chateauimaginaire.e-monsite.com/ ... our-2.html

Pictures from Su Shian Yuang, Sophie Sucrée, Banquise and Yuan: http://chateauimaginaire.e-monsite.com/ ... enade.html

Pictures from Aux Vivres, Yuan and Sophie Sucrée: http://chateauimaginaire.e-monsite.com/ ... mande.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:54 am 

I actually came across the Aux Vivre booth at the Francaphone festival and was super excited. I loved Panthère verte tiramisu and desserts, I had secretly hopped their bbq tofu and tempeh sandwiches where hot so I was sullenly disappointed each time (even though they were tasty!).

I wondered around so much and checked out a few sites, it is a bit hard with shorter layovers but over the years they will add up! Sadly I don't know my schedule that far in advance but I am always up for ppk meet ups or suggestions!

I think Aux Vivre and Sushi momo are my must sees for next time. I lived off cooper branch on my first trip and somehow always got called away on my walks to go back this run.

We are staying at the Candlewood now so I visted a bunch of sex shops and army surplus stores (seriously there are 4+ of each in this area).

Is Vego a vegan fast food chain? I saw a few of them but didn't get a chance to go in.

Oh and Chez Geek is great shop for boardgames etc, it was neat to see what they did differently then us.

ETA: Those photos are great! I am going to have to try and hit up those places next time, especially for the steamed buns!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:07 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

B_A_D wrote:
Is Vego a vegan fast food chain?

It's a vegetarian buffet where you pay by weight, owned by a big omni chain. I'm not a big fan (there used to be one in Quebec City). It's the kind of place where what looks tastiest is not vegan and/or weighs a ton. They also had meat at some time, which turned their veg/vegan clientele off for a while and caused the business to change its name.

There's also Petit Vego (next to Vego I think), a kind of bistro with sandwiches, salads, etc. I haven't tried it, but I know a few vegans who like it.

I've heard great things about Sushi Momo, I really want to try it next time I'm in Montreal.

When I went to Panthère Verte, I was too full for dessert, I should go there just for dessert some time!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:40 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

You may already know, but a reservation is necessary for Sushi Momo since it is small and very popular.