| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Brunswick/PEI
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:07 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Hi guys,

My partner and I might actually get a week off before the winter and we want to explore NB and/or PEI. I'm pretty well taken care of on PEI because I'll be doing business and have some helpful contacts there, but New Brunswick is uncharted territory! What are some must-see places, must-dos, must-eats, beautiful nature spots, interesting locations, historical areas, etc?

Personally I'd like to keep our actually driving time to a minimum since we drive so much already every day, but if there's a place I cannot miss I'm interested. Should we take the Digby ferry over to Saint John or drive around to Moncton? That's pretty much all I know about going to NB right now. Where are the most francophone parts of the province (I want to practice my french so I can understand my Quebecois bosses). We'll only have about three nights at most.

Post subject: Re: New Brunswick/PEI
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:59 pm 

Okay we didn't go anywhere in the summer but we are going to PEI this weekend--two nights in Charlottetown. The only time I went I was with my boss and it was early March (of death winter last year) and we got drunk at some pubs which was kind of fun but not really the cultural or culinary experience I'm looking for this time. Come on, I know people go to PEI! Green Gables!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:35 am 

Since no one answered (haha) I thought I would share my vegan PEI finds. I went to Cedar's Eatery (really, REALLY good Lebanese food), Splendid Essence (all vegetarian pretty damn taste Chinese food, and cheap!), and Gahan (they have this bean sandwich thing that's okay, I went there on business.)

I love Charlottetown so much. I want to move there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:32 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Hi there :)

In NB there's a good Café in Edmunston that's called Le Lotus Bleu, vegan! Pretty good food and easy going place, people were nice :) In Moncton you have the Calactus Café, it's mostly vegetarian but i'm pretty sure they'll make change to their menu for you if you ask. That's pretty much what I found in NB and haven't got a chance to visit PEI, yet.

In NB most francophones are located in the Péninsule Acadienne, Caraquet, Tracadie, Shippagan and in that general area. You'll also find some francos around Moncton, in Dieppe, for exemple. Though Acadians and Québécois don't have exactly the same accent and expressions. Hope it went well with your bosses :)

From a Québécoise with an Acadian boyfriend :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:10 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Anyone have leads for Fredericton, NB? Mr Moon and I might be spending threeish days in July and driving both ways. Mr Moon is omni so veg friendly places are great, as are grocery shopping opportunities since I might look for a place with a kitchenette.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:07 am 

Um YES. Red Rover brewing is cidery (they are my buddies!) and they share a space with a vegan cafe. It just opened and it looks like the best place in the world! It's the first cider-only taproom in Canada and everything is vegan. https://www.facebook.com/abbeycafegallery/?fref=ts

My husband has a trip planned there next week and I MIGHT come with him only because of that place.

Anything else? I dunno, sorry. Never been to Freddy but I hear great things from non-Nova Scotians. A lot of Nova Scotians seem to hate NB.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:09 am 
Tofu Pup

Moon wrote:
Anyone have leads for Fredericton, NB? Mr Moon and I might be spending threeish days in July and driving both ways. Mr Moon is omni so veg friendly places are great, as are grocery shopping opportunities since I might look for a place with a kitchenette.

I haven't been but the http://www.cinnamoncafe.org/ looks great. It's Persian food.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:35 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

That's sounds great, vijita, I'd have to sample them all.

Unfortunately our conference in April is in Saint John - anyone have ideas? We'll be staying at the Marriott. I haven't been to Saint John in 20 years.

We didn't get to go to Charlottetown last year because the ice caused so many school roof leaks nothing was being funded. I did get to go to Summerside in January for a hockey tournament and I would not recommend that, but only because it was January and a hockey tournament. In summer, absolutely. We dined on Subway and pizza.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:37 am 

The Chinese vegetarian restaurant in Charlottetown is awesome!

Sorry arisaig, I've never been to Saint John! It's on my partner's itinerary for next week though so I'll let you know if he finds anything. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:51 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Whoa, 2 new veg friendly places in Freddy! Awesome!

Moon wrote:

There are a couple of Atlantic Superstores and Sobeys where you can get most everything you need. There are also a couple of health food stores, and a local produce store. If you are visiting over a weekend, make sure you go to the Boyce farmers market, where you can get vegan cookies!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:02 pm 

FYI my partner went to the cider taproom/vegan restaurant and said it's AWESOME.