| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Toronto
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:44 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Thanks! My friend suggested Vegetarian Haven over Fressen too. I don't really care about the no-booze as long as the food is awesome. Any other suggestions for the two short days I'm in town?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:52 pm 
Dildo Queen

paprikapapaya wrote:
yay semi! mmm...that burrito....I almost finished a whole one in one sitting :O

it was difficult to put down. sooo good

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:12 pm 
Saggy Butt

hey guys!
if any of you are out and about tomorrow looking for a snack... my muffins are going to be selling at live! we're trying them out this weekend, specifically with the brunch menu. there will be gluten and sugar-free carrot spice muffins with maple candied walnuts!
i'm trying to get into more retailers/restaurants so i hope this weekend goes well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:58 am 
Dildo Queen

vijita wrote:
Thanks! My friend suggested Vegetarian Haven over Fressen too. I don't really care about the no-booze as long as the food is awesome. Any other suggestions for the two short days I'm in town?

veg haven has a full dessert menu, crazy milkshakes and wonderful service. i recommend the "bird's nest."

you must hang out in kensington market for the day, and you must go to panacea (all vegan store with food, lots of special vegan treats, clothing from herbivore, toiletries, essential oils, etc etc). queen street west is a lot of fun - at least, a few of the places along it are, including bang-on, fashion crimes, and black market, plus some other little treasures you'll find along the way. there are some nice parks in the area you can hang out in, too, if you get take-out and want to go eat in the park.

as for food recommendations, i highly highly recommend urban herbivore (also in kensington), i've heard Live is really good but never been there (raw place). i also really enjoyed a meal at rancho relaxo once, it's mexican omni food with a fair-size veg*n menu (you can specify vegan when you order and they''ll give you vegan sour cream etc though it might be like 50 cents extra or something).

have fun!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:16 am 

semiautomatic wrote:
vijita wrote:

veg haven has a full dessert menu, crazy milkshakes and wonderful service. i recommend the "bird's nest."

you must hang out in kensington market for the day, and you must go to panacea (all vegan store with food, lots of special vegan treats, clothing from herbivore, toiletries, essential oils, etc etc). queen street west is a lot of fun - at least, a few of the places along it are, including bang-on, fashion crimes, and black market, plus some other little treasures you'll find along the way. there are some nice parks in the area you can hang out in, too, if you get take-out and want to go eat in the park.

as for food recommendations, i highly highly recommend urban herbivore (also in kensington), i've heard Live is really good but never been there (raw place). i also really enjoyed a meal at rancho relaxo once, it's mexican omni food with a fair-size veg*n menu (you can specify vegan when you order and they''ll give you vegan sour cream etc though it might be like 50 cents extra or something).

have fun!!

Thank you so much! And what about Fresh? Is it worth it? I like the cookbook.

Is Panacea in Kensington too? I might skip it because I am going to go to Viva Granola in Montreal and we have Karmavore here...but I do want to check out the Kensington market too, so if it's close I'll be there!

Thanks so much for the awesome recommendations!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:04 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I want to chime in and also suggest Vegetarian Heaven over Fressen as well. I just plain like the food better at VH and have always had great service there. I find Fressen kinda hit and miss and expensive. Yes they serve alcohol at Fressen, but drinks start at $9 a pop. Plus, my Boyfriend is straight edge so no alcohol at VH isn't really an issue. VH also has better desert selection... which is important as we both have major sweet tooths. OMG, they do an ice cream cookie sandwich at VH, so good!

Make sure to swing by Hot Beans in Kensington and try to get there early so that you can sample the doughnuts. Yes, Urban Herbivore is pretty solid. I feel like I've kinda burnt out on them personally, but I would still suggest you check them out. They do a great job a providing a fast and healthy meal that taste great.

http://www.blogto.com/cafes/hibiscus

Oh and treat yourself to Hibiscus when in the market. I totally feel like I need to go here more often, but they always seem to be closed when I'm there (most likely because I'm in the market later in the day and on Sundays). This place is lovely and they ofter a vegan cheese (which is rice based I believe?) I highly recommend the Vegan cheese, pear, pecans combo crepe... so nice! They also make their own coconut ice cream which I haven't tried myself but has got great reviews from other Vegan friends. They also do a great job with their coffee, if you like coffee. Love this place, my only complaint is that I wish they were open later!

Finally, Fresh is good. I remember on the old boards that we had pretty much come to an agreement that everyone enjoyed Fresh, we just felt it was ever so slightly over priced for what you get. You can't beat the convenience, as they have a few locations, though and are open late. I actually eat there yesterday as the crawford location (the best one) was close to the gallery my boyfriend was sitting. We took our friends, a Vegan couple from Seattle, here last summer and they loved it.

And you really should try to make it out to Panacea, it's not in kensignton, but you could walk there within about 20 mins (and it's a nice walk). They have a lot of great stuff and are super friendly. There is some locally made stuff like Boardwalk chocolates (made by a PPker!) so it's worth it for that stuff. Also right across the street from a Toronto landmark... Honest Ed's! What a weird place, take some photos but if you go inside you will be stuck there lost for like half an hour before you can find your way out!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:10 pm 
Dildo Queen

when i ate at fresh i liked it enough but i wasn't blown away - i got a burger and sweet potato fries. i probably won't ever go back there unless i have no other options, you know? and yeah it's tres overpriced. but it's totes convenient with the numerous locations, i agree. :>

YES GO TO PANACEA. just to check it out. they also have some really nice toothpastes i haven't seen anywhere else, and handmade soaps and shiitake. the walk is so very beautiful - i walk along college and bathurst to bloor, and there are some really pretty churches and this one amazing high school. panacea has clothes and buttons from herbivore!!

basically i am repeating everything courtney said, but her advice is spot-on. i hope you have so much fun!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:18 am 

You guys are the best.

Thanks for the amazing tips Courtney! I wish I had longer in TO!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:21 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Also, did anyone get themselves a Bunner's cream egg? I totally missed that boat and am sad about it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:16 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

This Saturday, in honour of worldwide vegan bakesale:
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=123551774389321

Saturday April 30th, 11:30 am-4pm.. Kensington Market. (next to) Aspetta Cafe -207 Augusta Ave
Cinnamon rolls with regular and tofutti cream cheese icing, banana bread (plain, with walnuts or with choco chips), cupcakes (at least 3 flavours), 2 types of muffins, raw and gluten-free goodies, cookies.. Join us this Saturday from 11:30 am-4 pm in Kensington Market. Want to pre-order something (whatever it may be), just let us know by Friday at 5 p.m. ...

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:00 am 

Thanks for the support on Saturday. I know someone showed up from the PPK and bought a tupperware full of things (I'd gone to buy a bottle of water).. Sorry I missed you! And sorry if someone bought someone cinnamon rolls that may have inadvertantly being cooked in that HOT sun on saturday (that also gave me a slight sunburn!!)..

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:14 am 
WELFARIST!

vijita wrote:
Woohoo! I'm coming to Toronto soon! I'm so geekishly excited.

I don't know how long you'll be in Toronto but maybe we could have a meetup while you're here if it can be swung...

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:51 pm 

seitanicverses wrote:
vijita wrote:

I don't know how long you'll be in Toronto but maybe we could have a meetup while you're here if it can be swung...

Yeah! I think I am going to Hot Beans with MeShell for lunch on the 23rd? Does that work? It's a work day, though. I'm only in Toronto for two nights and staying with a friend so it's kind of tricky, but I'd love to make it happen!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:59 am 
WELFARIST!

vijita wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
vijita wrote:

Yeah! I think I am going to Hot Beans with MeShell for lunch on the 23rd? Does that work? It's a work day, though. I'm only in Toronto for two nights and staying with a friend so it's kind of tricky, but I'd love to make it happen!

I should be able to make it. May 23 is Victoria Day so while I'll probably be doing some work, I should be able to get away for a few hours for lunch. I hope everything will be open since it's the Monday of a long weekend.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:07 am 

Oh, I didn't realize it was a holiday! It would be so great to meet you, though! My bus leaves at 5pm that day so I'm pretty flexible.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:42 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Hey , if any of you are looking for something to do in Toronto this weekend (May14-15th), I'm going to be performing in The Vagina Monologues at Workman Arts THeatre (used to be equity showcase, it's on dufferin, just north of dundas). Here's a link to the facebook event if anyone wants to check it out:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/eve ... 2534015344

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:59 pm 
Saggy Butt

kp pickles, that's awesome! i've seen the vagina monologues a few times and love it. i am going to try and come!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:01 am 
WELFARIST!

vijita wrote:
Oh, I didn't realize it was a holiday! It would be so great to meet you, though! My bus leaves at 5pm that day so I'm pretty flexible.

Do you want me to join you and MeShell for lunch? (if I'm not crashing the party) I can meet you guys (around lunchtime?). Let me know if that's okay and what time you guys are planning to go and I should be able to meet you there if that's all right.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:01 am 
WELFARIST!

kp pickles wrote:
Hey , if any of you are looking for something to do in Toronto this weekend (May14-15th), I'm going to be performing in The Vagina Monologues at Workman Arts THeatre (used to be equity showcase, it's on dufferin, just north of dundas). Here's a link to the facebook event if anyone wants to check it out:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/eve ... 2534015344

This sounds awesome! I already have stuffs to do but I hope everything goes great! <3

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:05 pm 

seitanicverses wrote:
vijita wrote:

Do you want me to join you and MeShell for lunch? (if I'm not crashing the party) I can meet you guys (around lunchtime?). Let me know if that's okay and what time you guys are planning to go and I should be able to meet you there if that's all right.

Sure! I'll check with MeShell (I don't think she PPKs a lot these days) and report back with a time.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:25 am 

Another vegan bake sale? YES!!
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/ev ... 1585740838

when? Sunday May 15th (or possible wednesday May 18th as a rain date) 12-4 pm
where? Kensington Market (trying to secure a location depending on date)
why? fundraising to open up a vegan cafe in Toronto as well as a non-profit that will encourage budget-friendly healthy (vegetarian) cooking for children, youth, and adults in Toronto.
what? raw, gluten-free, and other goodies (cinnamon rolls, lemon bars, cupcakes, muffins, cookies, foccaccia etc.).
We also accept non-perishable food items for the Vegetarian Food Bank..

Also, look up Omega Creations on facebook
Thanks!!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:35 pm 

vijita wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
vijita wrote:

Sure! I'll check with MeShell (I don't think she PPKs a lot these days) and report back with a time.

2pm at Hot Beans, May 23. Does that work?

Anyone is welcome! <3

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:44 pm 
WELFARIST!

vijita wrote:
2pm at Hot Beans, May 23. Does that work?

Anyone is welcome! <3

Yay, perfect!

Yes, everyone, come!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:59 pm 
Tofu Pup

I bumped into this forum by searching alternative yogurt. I am new here AND I am new to Vegan. I don't want to make this awkward...but I would love to go to meet some of you guys this Monday coming up and to try out some food at Hot Beans (the only vegan restaurant I've tried is Fressen...). Can I come too if the restaurant is even open on Victoria Day? Hope someone will see this in time :)

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:40 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

guys, will hot beans even be open on monday?
and urban herbivore? (i need to stock up on muffins).

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 28  Next