| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Toronto
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:36 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I thought the vegan Sunday brunch at Windsor Arms was done, but it looks like it's still on! Still in, Terri? Anyone else?

Also: I have had crazy cravings for croissants. Does anyone know if they're available in T.O.? Fresh or frozen?

My new online dating blog: http://oklavafish.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:57 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'm going to Toronto for the first time in a decade and am looking for food to eat!

Right now it seems like Windsor Arms and Soma Chocolate are on my need to go to lists. Any restos (vegan or with super good vegan options) worth checking out? Also is there any specific products that I should bring back with me to DC that you can only find in Canada/Toronto?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:41 pm 
Huffs Nooch

heathergalaxy wrote:
I'm going to Toronto for the first time in a decade and am looking for food to eat!

Right now it seems like Windsor Arms and Soma Chocolate are on my need to go to lists. Any restos (vegan or with super good vegan options) worth checking out? Also is there any specific products that I should bring back with me to DC that you can only find in Canada/Toronto?

Hogtown Vegan has been mentioned a few times in this thread. I recommend it too. http://www.facebook.com/TheHogtownVegan

I also really like Vegetarian Haven (which is fully vegan according to their website). http://www.vegetarianhaven.com/site/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:05 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Here's a list of all the Vegan restaurants in Toronto!
http://www.happycow.net/north_america/c ... o/toronto/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:46 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

heathergalaxy wrote:

I like Greens Vegetarian (Asian) and any Ethiopian place since they all have veggie options! M&B Yummy is a vegan Ethiopian restaurant..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:02 pm 

Thanks for the specific suggestions! I already know about Happy Cow... it doesn't help all that much with what a food snob like me would actually consider good sadly. Hence the asking. :)

Also, I'm wanting to take a large group out (~15-20) for dinner at a nearby resto... public transit without switching lines or walking is what I'm looking for. We'll be near City Hall on University. I'd love any suggestions!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:41 pm 

broseph wrote:
heathergalaxy wrote:

I also really like Vegetarian Haven (which is fully vegan according to their website). http://www.vegetarianhaven.com/site/

Would Vegetarian Haven work for the large group? Looks like we're by the Osgoode Station and Queen Street West buses and such.

Besides Greens Vegetarian, Windsor Arms, Hogtown Vegan... maybe Urban Herbivore and Fresh?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:18 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Don't forget Fressen - it's amazing!

Veg Haven is walking distance from Osgoode, and they're good about accommodating large groups. Be sure to call in advance though!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:55 pm 
Huffs Nooch

heathergalaxy wrote:
Would Vegetarian Haven work for the large group?

I haven't had any experience being there with a large group, myself, but the comments on Yelp suggest that Vegetarian Haven can easily accommodate larger groups. (They also say that groups larger than 6 are subject to an automatic 16% gratuity). As Annamal commented, though, you should still probably call in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:22 pm 
Saggy Butt

Yeah, definitely call in advance -- they get busy. And here I am! I'd love to meet up when you're in town.

Rancho Relaxo is not all vegan but they can make most of the menu items vegan, and they are great for large groups.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:05 am 

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I have to say I am also very interested in M&B yummy! Damn that looks good!

I'd love a meetup when I'm in town. I'm there for a conference but will be staying a few days later to see friends and enjoy the city. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:40 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Toronto's only vegan grocery store, Panacea, is having a 40-50% off of everything sale. Details here.

It sounds like their sales have been down and there are doubts about the future of the shop. Anyway, if you see me in there say hi. I'll be the one clearing them out of Clif Bars.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:26 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I'll be in TO this Friday, leaving Saturday. Where can I get the most amazing cheesecake ever? I haven't a clue where we'll eat, but I'll be with a bunch of vegetarians, so they're very conscious of food issues and I've never had a problem eating out with them. I'm dying for cheesecake though. Any suggestions?

Also, I live about 2hrs from TO and am very interested in this Dinner Club I saw mentioned in the first few pages. Is it still happening? If so, I want in!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:19 am 
Huffs Nooch

Garnett wrote:
I'm dying for cheesecake though. Any suggestions?

A lot of vegetarian restaurants here serve cheesecake made by Sweets from the Earth, a local vegan bakery. Honestly, I don't know how they stack up against other vegan cheesecakes, but I like them. If you do a search for "Toronto" on this page (and set the number of locations to 25), you'll see some the restaurants and grocery stores that offer it. It is by no means a complete list, though, so you'll have to search by more exact locations to see more options.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:04 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I have a Hogtown Vegan question? How busy is it on weekends for lunch and dinner? Do you have to make reservations? Are there usually lineups?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:25 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Holy shiitake I just saw the comment about panacea!!!! Is that sale still happening? I'm soo all about vegan baked stuff and junk. It's smt that we never get so it's just thrilling when I find it. I didn't even know hey existed, how awful.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:27 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

ps thanks for the cheesecake suggestions!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:58 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Garnett wrote:
Holy shiitake I just saw the comment about panacea!!!! Is that sale still happening? I'm soo all about vegan baked stuff and junk. It's smt that we never get so it's just thrilling when I find it. I didn't even know hey existed, how awful.

I just went yesterday and the sale was on, but the selection is fairly limited at this point and the sale doesn't apply to frozen/refrigerated foods. I still walked away with a bunch of stuff, though. Unfortunately the treats/baked goods were pretty much cleared out already.

von m wrote:
Hogtown Vegan question? How busy is it on weekends for lunch and dinner? Do you have to make reservations? Are there usually lineups?

I read on Yelp that they don't take reservations. I live pretty close to it, so I end up walking by it a lot and it does seem busy on the weekends, but I've never seen a lineup that went out of the restaurant.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:31 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

VSA (Vegan Service Announcement):

Some Sweets from the Earth products are being recalled due to cross-contamination with milk.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/112 ... s-of-dairy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:58 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Hi there Torontonians!

I'm a Canadian living in the US right now, applying on jobs looking to move back to Canada. There's a position I'm really interested in that's located in Newmarket. I know nothing of Toronto or the GTA (other than being in Pearson airport a gajillion times, I've never been to the city). I've done a bit of Googling, but is Newmarket a boring suburb? It sounds like living in TO and commuting to Newmarket would be a bit long. I'm a bit worried that Newmarket is a tiny sleepy suburb and I won't be happy there and I should be closer to the city.

Any opinions on Newmarket at all?

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:09 pm 

First of all I apologize for being a ppk deadbeat and only posting when I'm about to travel for work and am desperate for restaurant recommendations. Shame.

More to the point though, I'm leaving for Toronto this weekend for a 4-day trip and haven't been there since 2009, so I have no idea what my options are near where I'll be staying/working. My hotel is near the intersection of Dundas and Yonge, and my work conference is at the Convention Centre on Front St. W. I'm going to have to attend a lot of steak-centric receptions and dinners, so primarily I need quick-ish takeout that I can scarf down beforehand. I'm currently baking Baby Equus 2.0, so my usual "fork it I'll just pack Luna bars and hope for the best" tactic isn't gonna cut it. The resulting hungry hormonal rage would probably make the news.

Did Urban Herbivore open up for sure at Eaton Centre? Does Hot Beans deliver or did I just hallucinate that? Anyone have a favorite pizza place in the general area? Hit me with any and all advice/recommendations and please feel free to point out if I have been a dumb asparagus and missed relevant info elsewhere in this thread!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:30 pm 
Huffs Nooch

lobsteriffic wrote:
Hi there Torontonians!

I'm a Canadian living in the US right now, applying on jobs looking to move back to Canada. There's a position I'm really interested in that's located in Newmarket. I know nothing of Toronto or the GTA (other than being in Pearson airport a gajillion times, I've never been to the city). I've done a bit of Googling, but is Newmarket a boring suburb? It sounds like living in TO and commuting to Newmarket would be a bit long. I'm a bit worried that Newmarket is a tiny sleepy suburb and I won't be happy there and I should be closer to the city.

Hey Lobsteriffic! I wish I could help, but I had to use Google to actually find out where Newmarket is too. The only thing I can contribute is that depending on where you might live and work within Newmarket and Toronto respectively, the GO Train could be very useful to you. Sure, the commute would still take a decent chunk of time, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about driving or sitting in traffic.

equus wrote:
Did Urban Herbivore open up for sure at Eaton Centre?
Yes, definitely. Unfortunately, I don't have answers for your Hot Beans or pizza questions.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:41 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

equus wrote:
Did Urban Herbivore open up for sure at Eaton Centre? Does Hot Beans deliver or did I just hallucinate that? Anyone have a favorite pizza place in the general area? Hit me with any and all advice/recommendations and please feel free to point out if I have been a dumb asparagus and missed relevant info elsewhere in this thread!

Urban Herbivore at the Eaton Centre is amazing and wonderful and delicious (and busy!) Hot Beans doesn't deliver as far as I know. Magic Oven delivers pizza, and they serve daiya (they also have toppings like edamame and green tea tofu) - it's super yummy. They also have a BBQ tofu sandwich that rules.

The rest of the food court at Eaton Centre is good too, if you even want to pry yourself away from Urban Herbivore. You can get veggie burgers, stir-fries, tofu curries, etc.

And Le Commensal is pretty close to Yonge and Dundas as well.

Oh, and Chipotle is right at Yonge and Dundas and I often get their vegetarian burrito minus dairy, which is awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:44 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

lobsteriffic wrote:
Hi there Torontonians!

Newmarket definitely ain't close to anything I'd call Toronto proper. It's a suburb; a distant one from what I understand. To tell you the truth, I lived in Toronto for a few years but never knew anyone from Newmarket and have never been there. But I get the idea that it's pretty boring. Sorry, probably not the answer you wanted!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:57 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Here's a question for you Torontonians. I'll be flying into Toronto on a Sunday night to catch a flight in the morning. I'm going to do my best to make it to Hogtown before it closes at 10PM but if my flight is late and I can't make it does anyone know of anywhere that is open until 11PM or midnight? I scanned happycow and didn't see anything.

Thanks.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 28  Next