| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Toronto
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:31 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I get my smoked cheddar Sheese at the Big Carrot on the Danforth. Speaking of which, I need some smoked cheddar Sheese!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:38 pm 
Dildo Queen

thanks!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:28 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thank you for all of the Hamilton recommendations! I do find myself in Hamilton pretty often so I will have to suggest some of these places the next time I get together with some friends. :)

von m wrote:
If you're out hamilton way, there is a coffee shop on Ottawa st called Sestres. They have vegan pastries. Their pastries are very eastern european, dense and sweet, and very delicious! http://www.sestrespastries.com/
There is also a new bakery on Dundurn St called Cake & Loaf http://cakeandloaf.ca/ . I haven't made it there yet, but it looks like they have some vegan sweets & savouries.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:36 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Hey Toronto peeps! I'm getting flown in for a job interview on May 22! I'll be in the country/city less than 24 hours though so not much time to do anything. I'll be staying right by Yonge & Eglinton, anything I simply MUST make time for right nearby?

But if I get the job you will have a new TO PPKer!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:03 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Head down to Kensington Market and get yourself a seitan burrito from Hot Beans! And then go next door to get a PB Chocolate shake from Sadie's. Take the subway and street car. It'll be sooo worth it.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:46 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

If I have time I definitely will! A PB Chocolate Shake! That's worth moving to TO for! Now I really hope I get the job. :)

How long approx does it take to get to Pearson from Kensington in a taxi cab around 5pm ish?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:48 am 

I'd say 30 minutes, but Toronto traffic is notoriously unpredictable and slow, especially at rush hour. But that's the way I drive into the city and it takes me about 25-30 minutes!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:20 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Cool, thanks! That's not too bad at all. I don't have the finalized schedule for interview-day yet but I'm hoping there is time to swing by the market!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:58 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

http://www.vegandanishbakery.com/products.html Just a quick FYI for those in T.O.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:52 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

lobsteriffic wrote:
Hey Toronto peeps! I'm getting flown in for a job interview on May 22! I'll be in the country/city less than 24 hours though so not much time to do anything. I'll be staying right by Yonge & Eglinton, anything I simply MUST make time for right nearby?

But if I get the job you will have a new TO PPKer!

It's not near Yonge and Eg, but my must-go-to place would be Hogtown Vegan. SO good. It happens to be on the subway, which you also are where you're staying!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:23 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Hey guys! Thanks for the recommendations. As it turned out, I was in TO for less than 24 hours and I didn't have time to check out anything between interview and plane-catching. Boo. But keep your fingers crossed for me that I got the job! :)

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:39 am 
WELFARIST!

Fingers crossed! <3

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:22 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Bummer about the short, deliciousnessless trip, but fingers crossed about the job!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:15 am 
Inflexitarian

Hot Beans is awesome! I checked it out for the first time relatively recently and suddenly I can't get enough burritos.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:17 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Tea wrote:
Hot Beans is awesome! I checked it out for the first time relatively recently and suddenly I can't get enough burritos.

TVP burrito with nacho cheeze and guac? YES PLEASE.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:24 am 

I've only ever had their seitan burrito because every time I go, I'm like WHY WOULD I GET ANYTHING OTHER THAN THAT? It's so good. The peanut-miso sauce in it is so yum.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:17 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I GOT A JOB OFFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, sorry, I'm excited. It sounds like the move might be happening pretty quickly.

Does anyone have an opinion on living in the Yonge & Eglinton area? That's where I'll be working. I don't know if I should live there close to work, or if I should live somewhere more "fun" and commute to work on the subway or whatever.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:17 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Hey Congrats lobsteriffic!!!! That's awesome! I lived at Yonge & Eg for many years and loved it. You are on the subway line so not far from anything. You are near some fantastic parkland, there is shopping, restaurants, pubs etc. I'm a huge fan of living close to work. That way you don't have to fight traffic, crowded subways & busses. There are so many great neighbourhoods in Toronto though, and as long as you are near the subway line, you can get most anywhere pretty quickly. I guess it comes down to what you are looking for.
This site gives you a rundown of toronto neighbourhoods http://www.blogto.com/neighbourhoods/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:49 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Hey thanks! That's super helpful!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:24 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Congrats lobsteriffic! Yonge and Eg is a neat neighbourhood, and a little cheaper as it's not right downtown. I would move there to start for sure. Congrats again! Now you can eat Hot Beans burritos all day!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:28 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

annamal wrote:
Congrats again! Now you can eat Hot Beans burritos all day!

Thanks! I'm excited to try out Hot Beans....and those pb milkshakes someone posted about! The more I Google, the more TO sounds pretty awesome for a vegan.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:01 pm 

Congratulations! What annamal said about rent being better there since it's not riiight downtown is true. I lived riiight downtown once and the rent was killer. TO is really awesome for vegans and is just awesome in general!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:09 pm 
Inflexitarian

Rent is awful downtown. I live in Chinatown, which is awesome because it's a 5 minute walk to Kensington Market and to school, but the rent for a shitty bachelor apartment is maybe 2-3x what I was paying at my previous place in New Brunswick.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:55 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

paprikapapaya wrote:
TO is really awesome for vegans and is just awesome in general!

+1. Being vegan in Toronto is a breeze, not only because vegan food is so plentiful, but because vegans are so plentiful! Sometimes I forget that people (most people) still eat animal products, and then I remember and feel jarred for a moment - "whoaaa, people do that?!"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:10 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yay I'm so excited! I think I'm going to get a place on airbnb.com or whatever for a week so I can check out neighbourhoods and see apartments live in person before signing a lease.

And I'm excited to be able to spell things like neighbourhoods with a 'u' again! And centre! It drives me nuts to spell center.

(I'm Canadian, I've just been living in the U.S. for two years)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 28  Next