| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vegas!!
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:52 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

we're going to las vegas for the first time in a few weeks... we're actually going to the grand canyon for a wedding, but will stay in vegas the first night. we're thinking about staying at the wynn, if it's worth it...? just saw the thing about the dress code, though, which made me a little nervous. also very excited to finally check out ronald's!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:26 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

bluedawg wrote:
we're going to las vegas for the first time in a few weeks... we're actually going to the grand canyon for a wedding, but will stay in vegas the first night. we're thinking about staying at the wynn, if it's worth it...? just saw the thing about the dress code, though, which made me a little nervous. also very excited to finally check out ronald's!

If you want to splurge on a fancy hotel in Vegas, I think the Wynn or Encore is the way to go.

I have stayed at a lot of the fancy ones for work: Venetian, Palazzo, Ceasars etc.

I have to say the Encore (sister of the Wynn) is the nicest hotel I have ever, EVER stayed in!

And of course vegan food galore!

Don't worry too much about the dress code. Women are fine in jeans and a nice top, or a sundress. Guys just slacks and a decent shirt. Think...offices on a Friday, and you will be fine (but no jeans for guys). You can swing that right? Besides...sometimes it's fun to dress up for one night :)

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:50 pm 
Chard Martyr

The dress code issue was due to not having a "collared shirt" and "athletic shoes or sandals" are not allowed. Jeans are okay if you have a collared shirt and the appropriate shoes. I would have been fine in a dress and sandals. This dress code is apparently for all (not just "fine" dining, but "casual" also) Wynn/Encore restaurants with the exception of 2 (I think Allegro and Wazuzu) but all need reservations, I think?
It'll be okay!! Now you know. If we had known, we would've packed accordingly!

And you'll be so freaked out at Ronalds. More vegan than not vegan donuts, and all delicious. Totally get the apple turnover filling filled crepe rolled in cinnamon and sugar. It's amazing.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:01 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

thanks guys! that is a huge help. <3

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:34 pm 
Tofu Pup

Meggs wrote:
The dress code issue was due to not having a "collared shirt" and "athletic shoes or sandals" are not allowed. Jeans are okay if you have a collared shirt and the appropriate shoes. I would have been fine in a dress and sandals. This dress code is apparently for all (not just "fine" dining, but "casual" also) Wynn/Encore restaurants with the exception of 2 (I think Allegro and Wazuzu) but all need reservations, I think?
It'll be okay!! Now you know. If we had known, we would've packed accordingly!

And you'll be so freaked out at Ronalds. More vegan than not vegan donuts, and all delicious. Totally get the apple turnover filling filled crepe rolled in cinnamon and sugar. It's amazing.

I've gone to the Wynn buffet before in shorts and a t-shirt, so this is surely not the case.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:31 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I hope this thread is alive, or at least the Vegas-area PPKers! I NEED HELP!

I will be in Vegas for a full week! I have the following planned out but need help filling in the gaps:

Saturday dinner: ??? Going to see O at the Bellagio that night. I heard Prime Steakhouse has nice vegan options. True/False? We're willing to travel because the show isn't until 10pm!

Sunday: AM- Ronald's Doughnuts stop. Question: Will I be able to get a cab back to our hotel from Ronald's?
Brunch: Tarrace Pt. Cafe for those chicken and waffles
Dinner: Society Cafe for the double down burgers!

Monday: Dinner at Slice Pizza at the Mandalay most likely.

Tuesday: Hussong's Cantina at the Mandalay

Wednesday: Reservation at Sinatra which my boss might scoff at, so I have backup plans to either Bartolotta or Zaffrino at the Venetian. Thoughts on any of the fine dining places?

Thursday: Kumi at the Mandalay

Then a quick Ronald's run in the early Friday AM before heading to the airport.

Does this sound solid? Any recommendations for a Saturday dinner before the show??

Thank you all in advance!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:01 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Hi xstartxtodayx, I live in Las Vegas, which pretty much means I never go to the Strip :) However, I'll try and help! For your easiest vegan bets, the Wynn is where its at (and I see you have a few on there already). Every restaurant, even the seafood and steakhouses, have several vegan selections.

There is a restaurant called Panevino that also has a special vegan menu - they are trying to compete with the Wynn - but they are off the strip so you'd have to cab it, but it'd be a fast cab ride. I don't have any complaints about the couple times I've eaten there, and they actually keep adding to their vegan menu. Food is good, service is great, and I am always willing to give my dollars to places that have a vegan menu, but it could use a little bit of a facelift when compared to the swanky new places on the strip. I recommend the Caesar salad and the spinach tortellini - stay away from the gnocchi. While not bad it was not what I was expecting. Like I said though, they had added quite a few more items since I was last there.

Not fine dining, but there is a great (and cheap!) place in Chinatown called Veggie House. I think there are only 2 items on the entire menu that have egg; otherwise its all vegan. That is one of our favorite lunch spots.

I believe the Aria has some vegan options on its restaurants' menus. I've eaten at Julian Serrano and it was delish.

Regarding Ronald's donuts, I think you'll be able to get a cab back. May want to ask your cab driver, but I do see cabs on Spring Mountain; its a pretty busy street. When are you coming out? If I'm in the area I'll take a closer look for you.

For another option, if you are shopping, the FAshion Show Mall, right on Spring Mtn and LV Blvd has a café inside called Red Velvet Café. The food isn't mindblowing or anything, but they do cater to vegans so ok, I'll eat there. However, their vegan desserts are really good and there is a whole crap-ton to choose from.

A week is a long time in Vegas! Are you coming for a conference or something? Are you into hiking or anything like that? you may want to rent a car and drive out to Red Rock Conservation Area if you need to get off the Strip. Its pbly about a 30 - 40 min drive depending on where you are staying.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:18 pm 
Chard Martyr

We caught a cab back from Ronalds. Just take a few cab numbers with you.
Also, I recommend Komol (take cab to and from) for Thai food. they have a huge vegan menu and their coconut milk ice cream rules.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:28 am 

Emmalv and Meggs, thanks for responding so quickly!! I'll be in Vegas for a week for a conference and I'll be with my co-workers in the evening hours after the day's conference activities. I'm leaving this Saturday, November 9th and I'll be back in Philly on Friday the 15th. Wooo, it's going to be a long week!

Thanks for your alternate-Wynn suggestions..for some reason, my boss is opposed to going there since it's on the other side of the strip, so I am going to get some Wynn in before he arrives on Tuesday. I'm glad to know I can get vegan food from restaurants at Aria or the Venetian/Palazzo. I have my heart set on Sunday brunch at Terrace Pt. Cafe for those baller looking chicken and waffles (after picking up a dozen donuts from Ronald's) and dinner at either Lakeside Seafood or the Country Club or Sinatra...damn, I can't make up my mind. :) But that's an okay problem to have.

Thanks for also suggestion Veggie House and Komol - I might try to make it to Komol for pre-show dinner on Saturday night. That menu sounds amazing and my dining partner loves Thai food! If this were my type of vacation, those would be my first picks...but alas, it's a work faux-vacation.

Anyway, I'll update the post to let everybody know how it goes! Looking forward to visiting your fine city!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:14 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

has anyone mentioned pura vida yet? it's relatively close to the strip, all vegan, and crazy-delicious. but also weird in an entertaining way.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:23 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Bluedawg, I'm such a horrible Las Vegas vegan because I have yet to go there... The menu looks awesome but I have heard so many negative things about the service. My impression is that I need to carve out a chunk of my day to go there, and considering its not open for dinner so would be a day thing, I never seem to make it. Anyway, the service issue is why I didn't mention it. Is it that bad? What's your impression - I'm interested in "weird in an entertaining way."

Xstartxtodayx, have fun! Please give us updates when you get back!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:59 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

well... we went for lunch on a day that was pretty flexible, schedule-wise, but i had read the same reviews (heh) so we were prepared for it to take awhile. it definitely wasn't quick, but it also wasn't horrifyingly slow or anything. it was more the quirk factor. i got in trouble for walking in with a chai (NO OUTSIDE DRINKS!) and then the server was kind of flaky (but very nice) and they have a whole spiel about everything (try all of our juices! let me walk you through every page of the menu!), and it just seems very... amateur? god, i feel like an a-hole right now, i promise i'm not an a-hole. but i guess what i'm saying is, it wasn't the most polished of businesses.

BUT! our food was stupid-good, like we were actually making yummy noises and eating until we were so full i thought we would die, the whole thing.

actually, here's my blog post on what we ate in vegas (pura vida is heavily featured, with pictures) if anyone finds this helpful:

http://veganchai.wordpress.com/2013/06/ ... -in-vegas/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:30 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ok, you've convinced me that I need to get off my butt and head over there one of these days. And no, I don't think you're an a-hole. Stuff like that kind of irks me as well. (ok, well maybe I'm a fellow a-hole). I will report back once I go!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:05 pm 

Guys! Vegas (mostly) rules for vegans!!!

My week of eating went like this:

Saturday night at the Country Club at the Wynn/Encore: Tempeh crab cakes were AMAZING! The complimentary pretzel rolls - I am still dreaming about them! I also got the seared tofu entree and split the yuca fries and vegan creamed spinach with my dining partner. The tofu itself was great, but it came with a pile of rubbery shitaakes, which was weird. The yuca fries were good and the creamed spinach also good. No desert other than chocolate coconut-ice cream.

Sunday: Started at brunch at the Terrace Pt. Cafe at the Wynn. I got the chicken and waffles. Meh. My coffee and food came out lukewarm, but the waffles were nice and fluffy!! After brunch, we went for a Ronald's run!!
HOLY shiitake, YOU LAS VEGAS LUCKIES!!! I have eaten at ALL the vegan donut places in this country, pretty much. From Cinnamon Snail and Dunwells to Voodoo and Mighty-O and Pepples. THEY ALL SUCK IN COMPARISON TO RONALD'S!!!!! Best doughnuts ever, and sooo affordable!! I got a dozen glazed doughnut holes for a $1!!! Then I got a small coffee for another $1!! I had the best breakfast ever for $2!!! Eff you $20 chicken and waffles!! Haha!!

Sunday dinner at the Eiffel Tower Restaurant in the Paris hotel. This place pissed me off. I noticed they had 2 vegetarian options on their menu and when I called to make reservations, I asked if they were vegan options and was told yes. When I went to order my meal, I was told both options were NOT vegan and could NOT be made vegan as everything was prepped in butter. Lame. I ended up with a kale salad which was pretty good and a SHITTY fennel salad as an entree. I hate fennel! Worst.

Monday dinner at Sinatra at Wynn/Encore: BEST MEAL of the trip!! I got the chicken marsala over gnocchi, forest mushrooms and cashew cream SOOOO GOOD. I swooned the entire meal. I got the chocolate mouse bar/chocolate raspberry ice cream for desert. Such an amazing meal.

Tuesday dinner at Hussong's Cantina. I got the vegan beef chile relenos! Really tasty!! I would have loved to have gone back and tried their other vegan dishes. Really not bad for a sports bar!

Wednesday dinner at Wolfgang Puck's Postrio at the Vennetian. I enjoyed my meal while my omnivorous co-workers hated theirs. My vegan co-worker and I did this tapas style. We split the farmhouse salad (SO good), the crispy tuscan potatoes, sauteed mushrooms, roasted root veggies and cauliflower. Simple and tasty!!

Thursday dinner at Kumi at the Mandalay Bay - not bad but not filling. I split edamame, the house salad, yuzu mushrooms and the seol garden sushi roll. I was hungry later, so I ordered a Back East Buffalo pie from Slice of Vegas and shoved that down my pizza pie hole. That combined proved to be a nice last dinner in Vegas.

Friday I made an obligatory pre-airport Ronald's Run for a dozen of their finest.

All and all, I had a nice time in Vegas and ate really well!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:28 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Isn't it funny how your best food experiences (from what it sounds) cost you like $4 or something ridiculous? :) I did a veggie house and ronald's run last weekend, and man, those little donut holes are the shiitake.

I'm glad you had a good time! And thanks for posting about your experiences. There are a few that I didn't know would cater to vegans (like Postrio). The Strip is so spendy to eat at that I never really want to go unless I'm fairly certain I'm not going to end up pissed off, hungry, and poor due to The Vegan Tax (paying for a bunch of crepe you have them leave off the plate).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:04 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

xstartxtodayx wrote:
Tuesday dinner at Hussong's Cantina. I got the vegan beef chile relenos! Really tasty!! I would have loved to have gone back and tried their other vegan dishes. Really not bad for a sports bar!

Is it worth the cost if you're not tagging along on a business trip? The Reno location has a vegan menu, too. I'm intrigued. . .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:46 am 
Inflexitarian

Any Vegas folks around?

I'm going next weekend for a bachelorette party. Restaurants (Tao at the Venetian and Il Mulino at New York New York) have already been picked by the bachelorette and maid of honor, which is cool with me, but now I'm trying to figure out what I can eat. Based on reviews I've found on the interwebz, it sounds like Tao is really veg friendly (servers know what can/can't be veganized, you can get a lot of dishes with tofu instead of meat, etc.). Il Mulino is looking trickier. Has anyone eaten here?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:16 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I haven't eaten at either of those, sorry. However I can tell you that it seems the Strip restaurants, and Las Vegas in general, have been getting much more veg friendly and knowledgeable. Sure that isn't the case in every instance I suppose, but by and large, the Strip survives on visitors and most places seem to do be a bit more savvy to veganism. Like any outing to a fancy restaurant, I'd just call ahead and see if they can accommodate you. Let me know how it goes!