| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Denver?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:17 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Sun Deli in Boulder is also pretty awesome, as well as delicious and my super-omni dad loved it. You can also find Biscoff spread and cookies at the Cost Plus World Market in Boulder.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:30 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Nice! Thanks lk!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:03 am 

So I just got back from my trip. I was in Denver for all of 90 minutes, but that included dinner at Watercourse. SO Yummy!! I had the seitan wings, Three Sisters salad, and for dessert - Red Velvet Cake. It was all super delicious! Had boring Qdoba in Boulder and some "real" Mexican fare in Ft. Collins.

Denverites, I'm so jealous. Totes cool city - and SO CLEAN (and flat)! Can't wait to return and explore.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:35 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Just tried a place I saw favorably reviewed by a vegan group here in Boulder.

Tiffins
http://www.tiffinsrestaurant.com/
http://www.yelp.com/biz/tiffins-boulder

I asked the woman at the counter, and she told me it was all vegetarian. The menu specifies that much of the food can be altered for vegans, gluten free, and Jain.
It bills itself as being "Southern Indian Street Food", differing from what I guess are the regular types of Indian food are (Northern). Contrary to what people seem to believe on Yelp, I didn't think the food was very spicy at all, and in terms of Boulder it is some of the more affordable food I've come across anywhere. The location is very unassuming and the decoration incredibly sparse, but the staff was friendly and our service was very quick. If you are in Boulder, or happen to be about the area and want a quick, affordable bite to eat I would recommend trying it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:01 pm 

So I'm now seriously considering a move to your awesome city, Denverites. (Sorry, Seattle, but our breakup is due to the perpetually gray weather and iciness of the locals). What do you love about your city? What don't you like? Where would you live if you were me? I'm considering Denver or Boulder. I like city life, I like to ride my bike, I love to stay active and be social and meet people. Is it easy to meet people in Denver/Boulder? Do you find the cost of living reasonable? What would be your best piece of advice for me? Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:28 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I've lived in Denver& Boulder, and I'd say Denver all the way. Denver is WAY cheaper & I had a much easier time making friends here. (despite the fact that I was in school most of the time I was in Boulder.)

Anyhow, I love Denver. I have plenty of food/beer options, and almost too much fun stuff to do. I get around ny bike, and it's pretty easy most of the time. We get lots of sun. If you mountain stuff, the mountains are close. Actually, you can ride your bike to mountains, if you like. Also, if really want to go to Boulder, there's a bus.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:50 pm 

Thanks so much, olives. I'm really hoping things pan out as I'd love to be there.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:34 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

If you like city life, you should definitely choose Denver over Boulder. Boulder is fun to visit but Denver is bigger and has way more of a metropolitan feel. Plus Denver is just really forking awesome and super affordable (definitely cheaper than Boulder, as olives mentioned). It's very bikable and we have great food, beer (SO MUCH GOOD BEER), museums, libraries, neighborhoods, indie businesses, tons of beautiful parks, and the vegan community is more active now than it's ever been. There's really nothing I dislike about Denver except for the pitbull ban.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:46 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I lived in Denver some time back....became a vegetarian while working at City Spirit Cafe many years ago, now long gone. But my friends Dan, (formerly of City Spirit), & Michelle started Watercourse & it's the first place I go if I visit! Tommy's Tai on Colfax is still open I think- there's an awesome Ethiopian restaurant and just tons of yummy places to eat downtown & around Capital Hill.

How I wish I had something to compare to that here, restaurant-wise. If you want a big city with wonderful vegan food, a great arts scene, an awesome live music scene, and all kinds of close outdoor activities, Denver can't be beat. Even the REI there is cooler than most.

Also, The Lion's Lair on Colfax is still one of my fave bars EVER.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:19 am 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

elouise wrote:
pitbull ban

denver is crossed off my list until this is repealed. major sad.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:20 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I love pretty much everything about this city as well. Except the pit bull ban. Because it's shitty, and because it keeps calcy so far away from us.

When I first moved here I wished for the light rail to be expanded, and that's happening!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:58 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Yeah, I would say Denver all the way! So many awesome things happening in the city right now. And with the light rail expansion it will be even easier to get downtown from points west. I hate the pit ban too :( but come out to Golden where they aren't banned and you're all set! We even have a shelter here where you can adopt pit bulls :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:13 pm 

please pool your resources and just get the stupid ban gone. that will really make our lives (and eternally potential move) much easier.

thanks in advance!
me & georgia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:53 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

The HSUS chapter here has been working on it, and some other group had an ad campaign about it, but I think they're having a hard time getting a legislator to introduce a bill to repeal it. ShawnieT needs to run for office already so that he can be the sponsor.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:23 pm 

abbierae wrote:
ShawnieT needs to run for office already so that he can be the sponsor.

i'll pretend move there just so that i can vote for him. "S.T. in the 1.3!™"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:57 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

ScooterDiva wrote:
Where would you live if you were me? I'm considering Denver or Boulder. I like city life, I like to ride my bike, I love to stay active and be social and meet people. Is it easy to meet people in Denver/Boulder? Do you find the cost of living reasonable? What would be your best piece of advice for me? Thanks! :)

Speaking as a Boulderite, I would say Denver.

I've been in Boulder for a couple of years, and while it has its perks, it can be matched or beaten by Denver on almost every front. I've generally found meeting people is hard here, although it helps if you start in an environment with a preset group of people. (Say, like a university department.) I've been in Boulder almost a couple of years, and haven't really made any close friends. I've found in Denver, it tends to be easier to strike up conversations with strangers, for whatever reason.

In the running/biking category, both are even I would say. But I haven't done much of running or biking in Denver, although from what I have seen it looks good.

Cost of living Denver wins hands down. We pretty much live in Boulder due to work. The rent is generally considered fairly high here. (For instance, we live in the very outskirts of Boulder in a 750sq apartment and the rent is around $1100 per month. This is considered to be 'affordable housing' in our lease. It climbs higher the closer you are to the center.)

Denver also has more diversity, and has neighborhoods with varying character. Boulder is generally just well-heeled white professionals, or well heeled college students. Also, I think I've met all of 2 or maybe 3 vegetarians, and no vegans whatsoever during my time in Boulder. It tends to be a bit more conservative than it appears at first, largely because of the influence of money and that the cultural interests of many goes little further than the local medical marijuana dispensary.

I'd also argue that as far as art house theaters, good music venues, art museums,theater, and just general cultural activities, you will find more in Denver.

Food wise, there are veggie options in Boulder, but no restaurant here comes close to City O'City or Watercourse. VG burgers went out recently, and Leaf is generally too "fine dining" to enjoy regularly unless you are well off. Other than that, there are no dedicated veg restaurants here, although a good number of places that will work with you.

Also, in Denver Watercouse is pretty much the center of civilization for about 500 miles in any direction.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:42 am 

Thanks for that, leonardo. All signs are pointing to Denver so far. I'm really hoping there'll be a job that meets my needs closer to the end of my lease here, as I really don't want to break it. I've been reading the post and watching some of the local news to get more of a community feel for the city.

Thanks so much for answering all of my questions! I actually drove by the medical marijuana dispensary in Boulder and had to do a double take - I've never seen one before.

Had dinner at Watercourse while I was in town. Awesome awesome food. Was shocked when I drove by the rescue mission downtown at night and all of the people outside waiting to get in were completely civilized. No screaming/running amok or begging for handouts. It was quite refreshing.

I am sad that there's no Trader Joe's there, but looks like Boulder will be getting one soon and hopefully Denver will follow.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:11 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

ScooterDiva wrote:
I am sad that there's no Trader Joe's there, but looks like Boulder will be getting one soon and hopefully Denver will follow.

I thought I would miss Trader Joe's when we moved here but we've got Vitamin Cottage Natural Grocers and I love it even more than TJs! Tons of bulk grains, flours, nuts, and other fun things to make awesome food with.

Hope everything works out for you!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:48 pm 

Thanks for that tidbit, hopshackgirl! It's always good to get insider info. I hope everything works out too :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:50 pm 

More questions...what do you all think of the Stapleton and Lowry areas? They both look super cute and close to the city. I'd love to live in the heart of downtown, but I work nights and sleep during the day, and think the city would be too loud for me to get any rest. I love the ideas of the planned community of Stapleton, and Lowry has what looks to be a cute town center. Also, any thoughts about Thornton? I know it's a bit outside the city.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:37 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'll be in Denver for like 2 hours tomorrow. Long enough for boyfriend to get his new-used car and to eat at Watercourse. Then driving back to ABQ. I am super-excited.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:32 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

ScooterDiva wrote:
More questions...what do you all think of the Stapleton and Lowry areas? They both look super cute and close to the city. I'd love to live in the heart of downtown, but I work nights and sleep during the day, and think the city would be too loud for me to get any rest. I love the ideas of the planned community of Stapleton, and Lowry has what looks to be a cute town center. Also, any thoughts about Thornton? I know it's a bit outside the city.

Hmm, I don't really know much about Lowry or Stapleton, but I will say that even with your sleep schedule I wouldn't rule out living closer in. As long as you don't live on a super busy street, Denver is really not a loud city. I even do live on a fairly busy street and it's still not particularly loud. Some neighborhoods I would recommend looking at are Capitol Hill, Congress Park, Baker, City Park West/Uptown, and Whittier. You might also look at Park Hill, Washington Park, and the Highlands.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:56 pm 

Thanks, elouise. A coworker of mine highly recommends Wash Park, but I don't know if it's in my budget. It looks beautiful, though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:56 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Stapleton is a cool concept, and an example of smart urban planning, but I don't know that I'd want to live there. It feels very suburban, and very new, which just isn't our bag.

Lowry is a cool neighborhood! It's a little far from downtown (which is relative, because Denver proper isn't that big), but it still very much feels a part of the city. The lots and houses are a little bigger than where we live (Whittier/Five Points), and it seems more ideal for someone that needs a yard and has kids.

And I second everything elouise said!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:34 pm 

Thanks, abbierae! I'm visiting again next week so I'll get more of a chance to scope out things :). Appreciate yours and everyone else's input so far!

Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next