| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Denver?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:17 am 
WRETCHED

The Watercourse menu looks amazing. I went vegan after moving from Denver. Which means although I know some of my old favorite places most likely have veggie options (Tommy Thai, Jerusalem's, Heidi's Deli and most of all - Sweet Tomatoes!!!!), I'm a bit lost as where to eat with other people.

We will most likely be in north Denver/Westminster/Broomfield area. So I could try to coerce them to go to Sweet Tomatoes every day but I don't think they'll go for it. I need lunch and dinner options. I imagine for dinner, PF Chang's won't be too bad one night. Lunch, I'm more stumped, last time I looked Heidi's deli didn't offer hummus as an option but maybe they do now? Any decent sandwich places in the area? I also don't know if the other people would go for ethnic food so thai/indian may be out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:49 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Yay Hickenlooper!

You might as well go to Boulder, if you're out by Broomfield... loads of vegan food goodness there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:57 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Watercourse and City O' City are great for lunch and dinner (and Watercourse is great for breakfast). City O' City is especially nice because it's a pizza place and everyone loves pizza.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:58 pm 
WRETCHED

Well I won't be in Broomfield, but will be near where 36 and 25 meet which is officially a Denver address although its not downtown and I think Westminster is the bordering suburb. I don't know why but work people tend to like to go to Flat Irons area to eat dinner. Which is why I was wondering if there was anything in Broomfield. Although we'll see.

I may stay in Denver itself although I dread 25 traffic :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:00 pm 
WRETCHED

luckyklutz wrote:
Watercourse and City O' City are great for lunch and dinner (and Watercourse is great for breakfast). City O' City is especially nice because it's a pizza place and everyone loves pizza.

City O' City is vegetarian though? I'm not sure I could sell a vegetarian restaurant. Some of the people I'll be with I know, some of them I don't so not sure what their eating preferences are but the ones I do know would probably look at me funny if I suggested a vegetarian restaurant.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:28 pm 
Huffs Nooch

linanil wrote:
luckyklutz wrote:

City O' City is vegetarian though? I'm not sure I could sell a vegetarian restaurant. Some of the people I'll be with I know, some of them I don't so not sure what their eating preferences are but the ones I do know would probably look at me funny if I suggested a vegetarian restaurant.

City O' is all vegetarian, but it doesn't seem to matter to most people. The place is ultra hip(-ster), and all of the food is comfort food goodness that can't be denied by anyone. It may be a gamble, but how about not telling them at all? You might get a bit of a reaction when they figure it out, but you'd already be there, and once they try the stuff, they'll be singing a different tune.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:30 pm 
Huffs Nooch

abbierae wrote:
elouise wrote:
As of today Hickenlover is officially our governor, ya'll!

At the office today we were talking about how we wish he could be mayor and governor. And all of our senators and representatives, for that matter.

Word. Did you hear he's putting at least one Republican in his cabinet? I just love that post-partisan SOB.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:18 am 
Bathes in Braggs

ShawnieT wrote:
abbierae wrote:
elouise wrote:
As of today Hickenlover is officially our governor, ya'll!

At the office today we were talking about how we wish he could be mayor and governor. And all of our senators and representatives, for that matter.

Word. Did you hear he's putting at least one Republican in his cabinet? I just love that post-partisan SOB.

I know. He's so forking reasonable and makes such excellent decisions. I almost can't handle it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:23 am 
Bathes in Braggs

linanil wrote:
luckyklutz wrote:

Root Down or Fuel are both good for vegans dining with omnivores. Root Down is the highlands and Fuel is in Rino, but both are right off the interstate and both have great food.

Also, my grandpa lives in Westminster and I always take Washington Street if I go see him during rush hour. There are stoplights, but you get to keep moving. And the first third or so is industrial so it goes pretty quick.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:33 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I have been combing through the forums looking for Denver related posts, I hope you won't mind if I revive this thread. There's already a lot of information here that I have found useful, seems silly to repeat it all!
I am going to be in Denver form the ACVIM conference in June. I will be arriving on Wednesday the 15th of June and the conference is from the 16th to the 18th of June. The conference is at the Convention Centre, and I will be staying nearby (possibly at The Marriott). The conference runs from 8.30am to 6.15pm every day.
Is it going to be easy for me to get from the conference to vegan fud places for dinner? What places are closest to this area? And is there are grocery store somewhere nearby so I can stock up on vegan snacks for the day? I get hungry and won't be able to dash out for anything during the conference.
Also, I was planning on spending the Sunday following the conference in Denver before I head off for some other places in the US. What would you suggest as good things to see or do? I will not have a car, so it shall be by foot or public transport.
I am please to have read in this thread about how vegan awesome Denver is! It had not really been a place I had considered visiting before I found out I was going to the conference, so I am excited to experience something completely unexpected. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:22 am 
Level 7 Vegan

So, Denver peeps - if I'm in town for a day and can pick only one restaurant, which should it be?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:58 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

zelavie wrote:
So, Denver peeps - if I'm in town for a day and can pick only one restaurant, which should it be?

Hmm...I think that depends on what you are looking for. If you want a more hipster, casual meal I would say go to City o'City; and you can pop into Buffalo Exchange and a fun jewelry/gift store next door afterwards. If you want a more fancypants meal I would say go to Watercourse. They are my two fave places--all the desserts are vegan too so you can really stuff yourself :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:57 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

dimsimkitty wrote:
I have been combing through the forums looking for Denver related posts, I hope you won't mind if I revive this thread. There's already a lot of information here that I have found useful, seems silly to repeat it all!
I am going to be in Denver form the ACVIM conference in June. I will be arriving on Wednesday the 15th of June and the conference is from the 16th to the 18th of June. The conference is at the Convention Centre, and I will be staying nearby (possibly at The Marriott). The conference runs from 8.30am to 6.15pm every day.
Is it going to be easy for me to get from the conference to vegan fud places for dinner? What places are closest to this area? And is there are grocery store somewhere nearby so I can stock up on vegan snacks for the day? I get hungry and won't be able to dash out for anything during the conference.
Also, I was planning on spending the Sunday following the conference in Denver before I head off for some other places in the US. What would you suggest as good things to see or do? I will not have a car, so it shall be by foot or public transport.
I am please to have read in this thread about how vegan awesome Denver is! It had not really been a place I had considered visiting before I found out I was going to the conference, so I am excited to experience something completely unexpected. :)

If you stay downtown, you will be walking distance to City O, and not too far from Watercourse. There is a whole foods in Capitol Hill, and a Vitamin Cottage (natural food store) near REI on 15th and Platte. For eating downtown, check out where the Watercourse food cart (Steamin' Demon) will be on the days you're there, and if you need a quick something right downtown, I like Tokyo Joe's and Cooks Fresh Market.

Denver has a bike share program with lots of pickup and dropoff points downtown, and a lightrail system that goes North-South through downtown, and a free shuttle that goes East-West through downtown. If you are are just going to be in the city that day, I would check out the art museum, modern art museum, and then pack yourself a little City O picnic and sit in Commons Park.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:05 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

abbierae wrote:
If you stay downtown, you will be walking distance to City O, and not too far from Watercourse. There is a whole foods in Capitol Hill, and a Vitamin Cottage (natural food store) near REI on 15th and Platte. For eating downtown, check out where the Watercourse food cart (Steamin' Demon) will be on the days you're there, and if you need a quick something right downtown, I like Tokyo Joe's and Cooks Fresh Market.

Denver has a bike share program with lots of pickup and dropoff points downtown, and a lightrail system that goes North-South through downtown, and a free shuttle that goes East-West through downtown. If you are are just going to be in the city that day, I would check out the art museum, modern art museum, and then pack yourself a little City O picnic and sit in Commons Park.

Thanks for the information, it really helped - especially knowing that I will be able to feed myself up easily during the days of the conference. I like the idea of the picnic as well. With my total unco abilities of accidentally injurin gmyself and lack of balance, I may steer clear of the bikes, but lightrail and shuttles sound grand.

Another question - altitude sickness... is this something I really need to be concerned about? I hadn't really thought about it beyond making sure I drink lots of water, but then I was listening to a podcast the other day and this guy was talking about how he was severely ill the entire time he was in Denver because of the altitude. I was mainly worried about being that much closer to the sun with my sensitive super pale skin!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:27 am 
Bathes in Braggs

dimsimkitty wrote:
abbierae wrote:

Thanks for the information, it really helped - especially knowing that I will be able to feed myself up easily during the days of the conference. I like the idea of the picnic as well. With my total unco abilities of accidentally injurin gmyself and lack of balance, I may steer clear of the bikes, but lightrail and shuttles sound grand.

Another question - altitude sickness... is this something I really need to be concerned about? I hadn't really thought about it beyond making sure I drink lots of water, but then I was listening to a podcast the other day and this guy was talking about how he was severely ill the entire time he was in Denver because of the altitude. I was mainly worried about being that much closer to the sun with my sensitive super pale skin!

Just drink a ton of water and you should be fine. It also helps to be really hydrated when you arrive so that you don't have to catch up. I drink about 90oz a day.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:39 am 
Level 7 Vegan

abbierae wrote:
Just drink a ton of water and you should be fine. It also helps to be really hydrated when you arrive so that you don't have to catch up. I drink about 90oz a day.

Ditto - LOTS of water! When I moved to Colorado Springs (about 1000 feet higher than Denver), I had a headache for the first day and a half, but after that I was fine. It's all about the hydration.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:44 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Speaking of City O City: they have the most amazing "parmesan" on the table. Anybody know how it's made? They told me it was nooch and ground cashews, but I don't know the proportions, or whether or not there is anything else in it (herbs and whatnot). I could mess around with it, but that gets expensive with cashews. Anybody?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:14 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

They told me it was walnuts and nooch. I pulse sea salt, nooch, walnuts in the food processor and BAM! Parm.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:16 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks. I will have to start training myself now to drink more water... I tend to live in a state of perpetual mild dehydration. If I suddenly start drinking a whole bunch of water, my kidneys won't know what to do with themselves!

I am definitely looking forward to checking out the eats that have been suggested, and also to my free day in Denver to explore. And eat more. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:01 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Important Denver vegan treat news: Yellow Feather Coffee on Santa Fe now carries vegan croissants. BeetBox makes them. They are pretty darned good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:58 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Olives wrote:
Important Denver vegan treat news: Yellow Feather Coffee on Santa Fe now carries vegan croissants. BeetBox makes them. They are pretty darned good.

Ooh, good to know! Whole Foods has Justin's peanut butter cups and they are so good. And Marczyk has vegan chocolate easter bunnies!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:26 pm 
Tofu Pup

I just posted about the Fort Collins VegFest on the MidWest board. It's this (4/22) Friday 12-3 so y'all should totes read up and come if you cannnnn.

hugs :)
chompasina

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:32 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Was just wondering if any of you Denvegans might be interested in a meet up on Sunday the 19th of June??

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:21 am 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

right now i am really missing wings and city o' pizza with that amazing veg sausage. also, the abbierae/elouise/smoothrider combo and pretty much the rest of denver and its awesomeoness.

OH: the steamin' demon banh mi. single tear shed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:26 am 
Huffs Nooch

calcuhater wrote:
right now i am really missing wings and city o' pizza with that amazing veg sausage. also, the abbierae/elouise/smoothrider combo and pretty much the rest of denver and its awesomeoness.

OH: the steamin' demon banh mi. single tear shed.

Solution: come back and stay forever. Your life can be one long string of wingz and banh mis and Watercourse biscuits n' gravy and sunshine and smiles.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next