| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vacation ideas?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:40 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Hi all.

We've just cancelled a big holiday for Easter and are casting around for alternatives. I do want one day to go and eat my way round Austin while it's not hot, so this MAY be part of the plan. But where to combine it with and what to do except eat? For context, we're in the UK. We can probably fly into Chicago, Philly or NY and change, I'm not sure where else we can fly into directly. We can't drive, so anywhere we go would need to be public transport doable. Are there any other interesting places that we could combine with Austin? We like places we can walk around, cutesy shops, galleries, museums to a certain extent. I am completely ignorant about this part of the world.

Post subject: Re: Vacation ideas?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:26 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

This isn't super close to Austin, but I am really enjoying Denver right now. Very walkable, great food, good museums and galleries. The nearest large cities I can think of would be Houston and San Antonio, but I don't know what there is to do there. Also New Orleans, which would be a a haul across TX and LA.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:29 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Thanks Panda. We have been to Denver before because we have relatives there, so it is on the list, but as usual when visiting relatives you're kind of at their mercy, so we'll see!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:30 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Unfortunately, not much of Texas is walkable. Austin is doable by bus, and I bet you can get a ride to a few restaurants from PPKers if you want as well. The airport in Dallas is international, so you may be able to get a direct flight there. I've flown straight to London from there.

There are definitely cute shops and galleries in Austin. I also always recommend seeing an event at Alamo Drafthouse. They're the movie theater that had that youtube video about kicking out a texter, and they do fun things like sing-a-longs and Master Pancake Theater. Seeing the bats fly away from the Congress bridge at sunset is fun, too. And swimming in Barton Springs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:01 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I think coupling Austin with Chicago would work, I fly that route all the time! It is a three hour flight but it is only 200-300 dollars and it is super easy to travel around Chicago from the airport by public transport. New York, Miami, and Atlanta would be the other easy options. I wouldn't recommend Dallas or Houston.

Austin isn't nearly as easy as Chicago but certainly doable. My boyfriend and a lot of my friends don't have cars and get around ok, just stay somewhere central (like the San Jose hotel on South Congress). There is plenty of fun stuff to keep you entertained for 1-3 days. Just don't come in July & August when its 120 degrees.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:07 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Austin is about 10 hours from NOLA, so maybe you could take a bus or train? NOLA has pretty good busses and lots of the city is very walkable...

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:02 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

kittee wrote:
Austin is about 10 hours from NOLA, so maybe you could take a bus or train? NOLA has pretty good busses and lots of the city is very walkable...

xo
kittee

The trip from Austin to NOLA goes through Houston. Houston is really unfriendly to pedestrians, but it might be worth a stop overnight and a trip to some of their very nice museums to split up the travel time.