| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boulder, CO
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:29 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my husband and I and our daughter are going to Boulder for a week sometime this summer (probably mid June)

any recommendations on good places to get vegan food or good craft beer places to visit?
my husband is super into craft beer, specifically IPAs.

any fun places to go/things to do/see?
our daughter will be 3 but pretty much goes wherever we go.

we will definitely spending at least some time at Rocky Mountain National Park but using Boulder as our homebase.

we will be flying inand out of Denver and will probably spend a day there

Post subject: Re: Boulder, CO
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:07 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I live in Texas and know beer better than food so I'd recommend Avery (even though I'm sure you can get much of their stuff locally and I typically skip the big breweries for that reason, there should be some local-only or rare gems), Wynkoop, Crooked Stave (Denver), Asher, Funk Works... maybe just look at Colorado beers with the best Beer Advocate scores and go there.

If you do end up in Denver some I LOVED City 'O City. The open-faced sandwich and seitan buffalo wings were incredible.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:24 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I loved native foods while I was there. For amazing pizzeria-joint food, I can't recommend enough Sun Deli. They have a ton of vegan options, including an amazing buffalo chick'n roll with almond ricotta. Left hand brewery is a great place to hang out, as well as Southern Sun pub & brewery.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:54 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Awesome thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:12 am 
Tofu Pup

We are pretty proud of our breweries here in Boulder! Tigon is right about Avery, they've got a cool, do it yourself, brewery tour and some vegan options on their menu. But, you can't spit without hitting a brewery in Boulder. I'd try a few.
Tsing Tao in South Boulder has a Chinese vegan buffet on Thursday nights. It's a bit of a hole in the wall,but we love it! They also have a large vegan section on their menu.
I highly recommend City O City when you're in Denver. It's a sister restaurant to the Watercourse ( another Denver option) but more laid back. They are vegetarian but you can get most anything vegan. Love the vegan Poutine!!!
We have a vegetarian restaurant in Boulder,called Leaf. I'm just so often disappointed in food or service, when I'm there, I hesitate to recommend it. Some people love it!
If you have any specific questions,hit me up!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:00 am 

I went to Leaf and was quite disappointed as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:35 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

has anyone been to Beet Box which is a vegan cafe and bakery in Denver?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:21 pm 

Yes! Used to live a couple blocks from there. They have great cupcakes and cookies. Selection is better the earlier you go as they sell out. They also have doughnuts, although I prefer Voodoo, which is just a few blocks away.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:33 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

theres a Voodoo Doughnuts in Denver? i guess i hadnt come across that yet.
we had them a few times when we visited PDX. yum! ill have to add both to my list.

thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:37 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

has anyone been to Estes Park, CO which is basically right outside Rocky Mountain Natl Park?

we'll probably stay there for 1-2 days while we explore the park. looks like there is a crepe ton of stuff right in Estes Park though im not sure how much we will explore that since we will be there for RMNP.

trying to gauge the size of Estes Park. on the map it doenst look huge but there seems to be tons and tons of stuff there.
also figuring there wont be a ton of vegan options there.
im expecting a less awful version of Jackson Hole, WY which seemed outright hostile to veg*ns and Yellowstone which had a hummus wrap they put shredded cheddar cheese on (yuck!)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:31 am 
Tofu Pup

There are tons of options in Denver. There's even a little vegan market, called Nooch.
Regarding Estes Park, it's a good place stay to be near RMNP. I'm sure you can find options there. But, be prepared for crowds. It's very touristy, especially in the summer. The traffic is horrendous! Probably less vegan-friendly, but also less crowded, is the Granby/Grand Lake area on the other side of the park. If you over Trail Ridge Road, through the park, Grand Lake is where you end up. Trail Ridge is the highest paved road in the US. Lots of drop-offs and switchbacks so it's a little scary, but beautiful!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:08 pm 

I agree, Nooch is a great little market and the owner Vanessa is super nice. I wanted to shop there more but it was prohibitively expensive and marked up for me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:59 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks!
i think we'll be staying in Estes Park. ill prepare myself for crowds. we havent booked anything yet and based on the winter we're having here im wondering if we can go earlier than expected.

i know someone on the tripadvisor board for the area said because of El Nino winter might be later this year (which could still end up being true) and even though Trail Ridge Road typically opens Memorial Day weekend it might end up being later so im kind of waiting to see how things go. we were thinking mid to late June but yeah that's also tourist time! here in MA it seems like winter is done for the year. (i hope i didnt jinx myself)

we'll have our 3 year old daughter with us so i dont want to drive even further to get to the other side of the park. i wasnt even sure we were going to do the entire trail ridge rd. traveling iwth a toddler becomes complicated....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:02 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

in Denver.....

is watercourse a good place for dinner?
there are no prices on their website which scares me a bit.

we'll be in Denver one night and part of the following day so i was thinking of watercourse foods for dinner and then city o city for breakfast the next morning.

unless someone has a good vegan friendly recommendation for breakfast/brunch (it would be a saturday) that would be ok to bring a toddler to.

or a brewpub in Denver for dinner would be good too. one that is obviously vegan friendly and has good beers for my husband.

we will be there mid-late June and we booked our flights and hotels and im very excited! im just trying to ignore the fact that i just booked basically a vacation revolved around walking and hiking and i have an injured achilles tendon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:16 pm 
Tofu Pup

Sorry about the achilles.i know that takes awhile to heal. Watercourse is a little pricey. Entrees are roughly $12-$15. City O City is around $9-$12. Both are great! Fine for kids, I mean, they have kids options, no play areas or anything, though. Either place has a good selection of local beers. There is a new vegan diner in town called Handy Diner. I haven been there, yet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:14 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oh man. We'll just miss you there! We're going to be in Boulder for a few days at the end of May on the way (well out of the way really) to Seattle and Portland.
I love watercourse and will be sad not to be able to go on our trip (mr sashi has a conference in Boulder the whole time we'll be in the area). They have a kid's menu and it's loud in there so pretty ok for kids. i don't think they take reservations though, and last time we went on a weekend afternoon it took awhile to get a table. We were a pretty big group though so that could have been it. City o city is good too (also a bit of a wait the last time we went).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:05 pm 

I miss city o'city's desserts. Make sure you have one for me.