| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Omni- and Vegan-friendly Recommendations in San Antonio?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:06 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

My boyfriend and I are going to San Antonio to visit his parents. It'll be my third time, so I know the places I want to hit up (Vegaria, Green, The Cove), but my bf's dad is a picky omni. He likes places like Chili's and Morton's, and Mexican food, but not much else. Last time he came to Green with us, but didn't like it, which made the whole dining experience rather awkward. Does anyone have any suggestions of a place where he'd be satisfied, but my bf and I would still have something to eat? We're making a 24-hour drive down from Ohio, so ideally I'd prefer a local place that we can't visit at home. Bonus points if it's somewhat near where my bf's parents live, which is in the northeast of the city.

Post subject: Re: Omni- and Vegan-friendly Recommendations in San Antonio?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:07 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

On your drive down I would stop at the Elite Cafe in Waco, TX for a meal. It is right next door to Rudy's BBQ and the highway. They had several vegan options such as grilled veggie sandwiches, salads, etc. Austin is amazing for places to eat if you are driving through and want something yummy -Try Mother's Cafe or Counter Culture. Austin also has several vegan ice cream places.

One place local that might surprise you would be to try The Sea Island Shrimp House. Vegans can order the Shrimp Gumbo bowl w/o shrimp. I have talked to the company and reviewed the recipe and it is completely vegan. They add the shrimp once you order it and not before so it is ok. We eat it with saltine crackers and my husband gets a side of cold green beans or corn cob (comes without butter). I usually get a dinner salad w/o croutons and cheese. They have oil/vinegar in the dining room. You will be addicted to the gumbo and they have a large seafood menu for non-vegans.

Try Red Robin Burgers for a good variety for everyone. They have a vegan burger with a wheat bun that you can customize. Make sure you avoid the red robin seasoning as it is not vegan. We end up going here with out of town family as my brother is gluten intolerant and they have a gluten free bun.

Adelante's Mexican Resaturant has plenty of vegan options that are out of this world. Veggie tacos, tamales, enchiladas, etc. A must try if you are vegan! They have a lot of regular non-vegan dishes for everyone to choose from too.

Twin Sister's Bakery and Cafe is great for lunch or breakfast (I prefer breakfast here) and will have something for everyone.

If you want Pizza a really great place is Fralo's Art of Pizza. Just let them know you want a vegan pizza because they have vegan cheese and crust available. We liked the Vegan Portobello bake. It is outdoor seating (so keep that in mind with our hot weather) and live stage entertainment on weekends. You can also bring your own wine if you want but they charge a uncorking fee. It is popular so if you go during peak times you may have to wait. You can order a Vegan pizza and everyone else can get a regular one - that should please everyone however it will be a long drive as it is on the Northwest side of town heading out of San Antonio.

I hope this helps!

Post subject: Re: Omni- and Vegan-friendly Recommendations in San Antonio?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:22 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

This is a really good up-to-date map of vegan-friendly places in SA. http://veggieangie.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... n-antonio/