| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Vancouver Island Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:04 am 
Chard Martyr

Because there isn't one.

Have any of you been to the Venus Sophia Tea Room in Victoria? It's newish, in Chinatown, and all-vegetarian. The menu looks pretty vegan-friendly/exciting! I tried to go yesterday but I was a bit too late (they close at 6). THEN I tried to go to Rebar (closed), then Le Petit Saigon (closed), then Green Cuisine (oh yeah, fire damage=closed), THEN Mo:Le (closed, duh), and ended up getting a crappy veganized sandwich at Ferris'. Anyway, you Victoria people should check it out! I'm so jealous that it's in my old neighbourhood.

The new incarnation of the restaurant across from the Belfy looks interesting, too! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kulu-Rest ... 8318463637

And since this is the Vancouver Island thread, one of my all-time favourite restaurants on the Island is Nha Trang Maki Sushi/Vietnamese restaurant in Duncan. Perfect day: ferry from Vesuvius to Crofton, lunch at the Corfied Farm Cafe in Duncan, bookstore shopping and a drive to the Cowichan river for swimming/tubing down the river, beers at Craig Street Brew Pub in Duncan, then Vietnamese food (a ton of vegan options for both the Vietnamese and Japanese restaurants) at Nha Trang. Minus the swimming that's exactly what we did on my birthday.

Post subject: Re: The Vancouver Island Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yay, a Vancouver Island thread!

Thanks for the heads up about the restaurants in Duncan - I'm not far from there, so I might actually check it out. I only ever hear about awesome Victoria things, and I'm more towards the middle of the island.

There's a raw vegan restaurant opening up soon where I live. I will post about it once it's running!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:23 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Yay!!! Thanks for starting this thread :) the tea room sounds neat, I didn't even know it existed!

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:13 am 
Chard Martyr

I'm gonna go to the tea room this week! Some time. Even if it kills me. And it might, if I don't get new tires put on our vehicle soon.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:59 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

vijita wrote:
Green Cuisine (oh yeah, fire damage=closed)

What? What happened to Green Cuisine? Were any hippies damaged in the fire?!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:08 pm 
Chard Martyr

I tried two new (to me) restaurants this weekend.

1) Venus Sophia Tea Room - We were so excited and it was so cute. The menu looked amazing. I ordered a veganized panini with oyster mushrooms, watercress and hummus, and a side salad with tahini dressing. My boyfriend ordered a seitan shawarma which was supposed to have tahini sauce (and, we assumed much more like veggies and normal stuff included in shawarma), also with a side salad. We ordered a pot of tea to share and didn't realize that tea was $7.95 for unlimited service (it was smoking hot so we barely had a cup each). I wanted to like it so much! The salads were beautiful, but mysteriously, Jay's seitan wrap just had unseasoned rubbery seitan...nothing else. No sauce at all. My wrap had some nice chunks of mushrooms in it, but nothing was seasoned and the hummus was bland. Super disappointing. If I go back, I'll definitely just get a salad.

2) Pizzeria Prima Strada: It's probably not new at all, but somehow I never noticed this Pizzeria across from the Beagle (where I spent a lot of time one summer in Victoria, though that was a few years back!). They have a vegan marinara pizza: delicious sauce, olive oil, fresh garlic, and oregano. A huge pizza on beautiful thin crust for $11. I added roasted mushrooms and amazing olives. I loved it so much. I've never had had better vegan pizza...the crust was more delicious than Amici's in SF, and the wood-fired cooking was fun to watch. Thank god it wasn't ruined with Daiya or something. They have a couple vegan salads too. And our server was vegan!

ps...Green Cuisine is still closed. No hippies were damaged. I miss stocking up on cheap tempeh! But their tofu sucks!

Sarah Kramer's new shop was closed both times I tried to go by, but I peeked in and she has some cute stuff! And some foodstuffs like Go Max Go bars.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:45 am 
Chard Martyr

Yesterday I got the momos (Hi Momo!) at The Mint for the first time. They were delicious, but tiny. The achar is awesome. It was packed in there...I'm glad they seem to be doing better than a few years ago. I will never forget the time my little sister found a thumbtack in her soup.

I'm going to Shine Cafe for breakfast after walking past and checking out the new menu at the Blanshard location. Vegan options!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:44 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I love the vegan breakfast at Shine! I lived literally across the street from there so it was great! The sesame tofu!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:06 pm 

Yes, the Shine breakfast is so good! I always ask for extra sesame sauce with the tofu so I can drench the bean & rice "sausage" patty too!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:02 am 
Chard Martyr

Did you live across the street of the Fort Street location, Dubz? Cause I totally did.

I think the garlicky spinach and mushrooms were my faves but the tofu and sausage were pretty good. Victoria vegan breakfast options are so much better than Vancouver vegan breakfasts.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:47 am 

Yes, the Fort one! I didn't even know there was a Blanshard one. Oh god I miss Mo:Le.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:48 am 
Chard Martyr

Whoa! Did we live in the same building? I lived at 1445 Fort Street.

The downtown Shine just opened at Pandora and Douglas, where Demitasse used to be. It's great! And it opens at 7. I had a full vegan breakfast at 7 am on a Saturday. Solid.

I've been in Victoria for 3-4 days a week lately and I miss you!

I finally had a decent dish at Lotus Pond. The Shiitake mushroom special or delight or whatever it is. It's too sweet, but tasty with rice and the hot and sour soup. I do like the hot and sour soup.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:00 am 

Almost! I was at 1485.

And damn! Our timing never works out!

Have you had the fried oyster mushrooms? They're like calamari. Also the spicy szechuan eggplant is my absolute favourite thing ever. Oh man.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:49 am 
Chard Martyr

I need to try the eggplant! I've had the oyster mushrooms. I like them, but it is impossible to forget the fried oyster mushrooms I've had at Millennium. They are tasty, though.

I just find that anything that does not attempt to be super fried or relatively spicy is always kind of boring at LP. But since the dinner menu is huge, I will continue to experiment.

Oh, I thought I posted this somewhere. Green Leaf (Douglas and Fisgard) has vegan banh mi at lunch. It's pretty good.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:38 am 

You guys are making me hungry! I am having Lotus Pond for dinner :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:57 pm 

I will warn you that the eggplant is pretty sweet. But because it's also spicy I think it works. My favourite is to get mapo tofu, szechuan eggplant, rice and turnip cakes and then eat it for like three days. Oh god the day I realized LP delivers was the greatest day of my life. And then I left. Why did I leave?!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:39 pm 
Chard Martyr

What! They deliver?

Why did you leave? I'm thinking the same. I miss Victoria!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:59 pm 

vijita wrote:
What! They deliver?

Why did you leave? I'm thinking the same. I miss Victoria!

They deliver? My world just got awesome!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:43 pm 
Chard Martyr

I'm spoiled as fork being able to frequently eat out in Victoria (out of necessity) these days! I tried a new place today. Sizzling Tandoor, on Johnson, just up from Lotus Pond. It used to be a cute little Thai place, but it is now vying for my favourite Indian food in the city. They don't use ghee on their garlic naan, and when you ask for spicy you actually get spicy! But I mean beyond that, the food is just delicious. I had an amazing eggplant bharta, fluffy rice, garlic nan, and complimentary papadum and chutney for $13 (before tip/tax, but it was easily two-three meals worth of food, and I was starving). Apparently the lunch buffet is really cheap and tasty, too.

And, this is kind of huge news to me, Rebar has a new menu!!! I mean, it's pretty much the same as the old menu, but it's a little bit more thoughtful, and there are more veganizing options than the old one offered. I haven't tried it yet. I didn't notice on the menu outside if they still had all of the sides, but I really hope they do because I love making a meal out of them. Also, it's nice that it is basically the same people working there than there was in 2002 when I moved to Victoria. I might go there for dinner tomorrow but I should really save money and get some grocery store provisions instead.

Blah blah blah, etc!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:19 pm 

I was going to ask if you get Calzones at the Joint (one of the things I miss most!) but then I remembered that you don't like Daiya. God I miss Victoria food.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:53 pm 
Chard Martyr

Do they only have Daiya now?!

I miss Victoria food too! It's just so easy to get to, you know?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:46 am 
Chard Martyr

La Taquisa - MEH. Only one vegan option, and it's just beans, salsa, and lettuce. Not bad, but I'd take La Taqueria mushroom tacos over it any day. Also, no serve yourself salsa bar! What?! I went to the Esquimalt location, and since vegan food other than Blue Nile is hard to find in the area, it's a nice option.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:39 pm 
Chard Martyr

Oh hi! We are moving back to Victoria in late March. I know there isn't a huge PPK Victoria presence, but if any of you have leads on places to rent (we're looking for a 2-3 bedroom, preferably a house, outside of the city is fine), please let me know! Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:24 am 

I would love more information about Vancouver Island - I'm coming out to a conference in Vancouver mid-May and would love to spend some days exploring the island. Any rec's for activities, b&b's, cafes (obviously!) would be fantastic.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:15 pm 
Chard Martyr

Let me be your tour guide! (I love passing on recommendations). Are you thinking of just heading into Victoria, or spending some time travelling around a bit? Do you like hiking and nature or are you more interested in fun attractions/restaurants/etc.

To start, ameyfm's relative owns a five-star vegan-friendly B&B in Victoria, that looks amazing, if you can splurge. I've stayed at two very nice b&bs in both Sidney and Victoria that weren't too pricey. Places are usually fine about accommodating for vegan stuff. I'll dig up the names for you if you're interested!

My favourite cafe in Victoria is Solstice Cafe, on Pandora downtown near Chinatown. I don't really go anywhere else for cafe needs.