| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Has anyone tried the vegan menu at YEW?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:53 am 
Chard Martyr

My parents really want to take me out for a fancy meal after my graduation. Downtown would be best. My go-tos are Wild Rice and Nuba but I am intrigued by YEW. It is so pricey though...is it worth it?

Post subject: Re: Has anyone tried the vegan menu at YEW?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:06 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Yes!

Everything I've had there has been AMAZING.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:29 am 
Chard Martyr

Cool! You you find that you need a starter and a main to get a satisfying meal? I always seem to order the wrong thing at fancy restaurants with multiple vegan options but am usually saved by the appetizer, though they are pretty expensive! However at Wild Rice I always end up ordering practically everything that's vegan...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:45 pm 

I'd probably go starter-main, or main-dessert unless you're really hungry. I've had the tacos and they were super yummy. I don't think I've had anything else off the current menu (they switch it up pretty frequently). They also start you with a bread basket and the servers are really great about knowing what's vegan. They also give you little dark chocolates with the bill that are vegan and these totally delicious breakfast cookies to take home--also vegan.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:46 am 
Chard Martyr

Thank you! I was thinking starter-main. It's still so pricey but I believe you that it's worth it! I doubt the menu on their website is current (it uses mostly summer produce) so I'm excited to be surprised!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:10 am 
Tofu Pup

i went on thanksgiving and had the vegan tacos, cashew cream pasta, and the chocolate almond mousse. everything was fantastic! so fancy. their cocktails are really good too

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:17 am 
Chard Martyr

We're going on Thursday! I'm stoked!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:22 pm 
Chard Martyr

Balls! it was great! They had an American Thanksgiving fixed menu so I was scared when we got there that they wouldn't be able to do the vegan menu, but they brought it out. It was a bit limited, however, so what I really wanted (the crispy artichoke main) wasn't available. However I liked the watercress salad and the cashew pasta with wild mushrooms just fine! The pasta was insanely delicious, and I never order pasta. Honestly the entree was better than anything I've ever had at Portobello or Millennium. That place rules, and it feels so fancy. Our server was stoked to talk to us about the chef-created vegan menu and he said that the cashew pasta is an obsession amongst many of the restaurant's non-vegan staff. It was a perfect choice for my omni parents, vegetarian husband, and vegan me, and funnily enough we all ordered vegan even though my parents love seafood. Win! And so many awesome mushrooms. The way to my heart.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:27 pm 

So glad to hear it!

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]