| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moving to Vancouver
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:25 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'll be moving to Vancouver at the end of the summer for graduate school and I was wondering if anyone has any `where-to-live' advice? I'll be attending SFU so I think Burnaby is my best bet, but that's all I know thus far. I've been cruising craigslist and it looks like everything at this point is for April, so I might need to hold off on looking.

I'm also (and this is probably bigger than location) wondering if anyone has any tips on finding (a) vegan roommate(s)! I can settle for vegetarian, but this will be my first time moving out so I'd like to be as comfortable as possible.

Aside from worries about where to move, I'm suuuper excited about my aliyah to Vancouver. I'll be coming from Calgary and won't miss the Alberta beef mentality!

(Long time lurker... I guess this is how I'm choosing to break into posting!)

Post subject: Re: Moving to Vancouver
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:16 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Vancouver is a really irritating city to look for housing in...people don't post until the month before and often not until like two weeks before the move-in. It can be pretty stressful but it tends to work out.

In terms of vegan roommates, probably craigslist is still going to be your best bet. There are a fair number of vegan households around, but they tend to be in the hippie areas of Vancouver (though it's easy to get to SFU from there).

Welcome!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:59 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

If you're commuting to SFU then try to live somewhere along the 135 bus line (downtown and follows the North side of the city) or near a sky train station. Living in Burnaby is good for spending less money but not as good for having a good time and good eats (though SFU does have an all vegan soup place).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:23 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Anywhere by Hastings in Burnaby is GREAT for SFU and for getting downtown. The 135 runs until like 2:30 am and pretty frequently throughout the day. It's better than the skytrain because you don't have to deal with the bus that goes from the station to SFU, though the skytrain is good for getting to Commercial area in Vancouver (lots of vegan food). There is a place at SFU that does vegan stuff at Cornerstone (Nature's Garden).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:46 pm 
Tofu Pup

I've read a bit about living where the 135 runs because other busses up to/from SFU stop running earlier and then you're stuck, etc. I'm excited to hear about the vegan stuff! My campus now is nowhere near vegan friendly so that'll be a really nice change. Thanks!