| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Changes in Vancouver
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:12 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Whole Vegetarian on Main Street is no longer and apparently the seawall location has started serving meat.
Slow Bean is closed but may apparently open somewhere else.

Post subject: Re: Changes in Vancouver
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:33 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

The seawall location is super weird. Super bummed that they closed the Main St location!

(And I really thought this thread would be about the bra store...which is pretty great, in case anyone needs a well-fitting bra.)

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:31 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Newly opened Tonkin restaurant on Main near 28th has a full line-up of vegan options. The owner's daughter is vegan.
http://www.yelp.ca/biz/tonkin-vancouver

Good stuff, including a vegan fish sauce.

Black Lodge is also supposed to be great.
http://www.yelp.ca/biz/the-black-lodge-vancouver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:49 pm 
Tofu Pup

theque wrote:
Black Lodge is also supposed to be great.
http://www.yelp.ca/biz/the-black-lodge-vancouver

It is! Comfort staples like grilled cheeze, chili, and like 6 different smokies (with a choice of 4 different vegan sausages). The poutine blew my mind. Even the side salad was good. Not a lot that you couldn't make at home, but the prices are good so who cares. If I still drank I'd probably never leave this place.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:36 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

You know you're in Vancouver when:

Avocado & Toast
smashed avocado, sourdough, smoked salt,
(v, gf option) 12.50

(from Heirloom, which we opted not to visit because $$$$$ but I guess what can you expect for South Granville).

I was really sad to notice that the Vietnamese restaurant in the West End that used to be Chau and then became something else (but with an identical menu) has become some random meat-y bistro. I settled for Vietsub on Robson (hold the mayo) but they ignored my request for sriracha and jalapenos so it was basically just really dry bread, dry tofu, and the tiniest handful of pickled daikon and carrots. Sad Banh mi. After that sad sammich my visit went steeply downhill so I didn't get to do any more fun eating.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:33 am 

My gluten-free vegan friend and I got take-out from Gurkha Himalayan Kitchen on Davie last night and it was really yummy! Not as spicy as I like it, but then I did neglect to ask for more heat. The vegan momos have an amazing tofu-spinach-curried filling and the mint chutney is amazing. Another favourite was the black eyed pea, potato, and bamboo shoot curry. Everything is flavoured with what I assume to be a lot of lemon juice and it really brightens up the flavours. My only complaint is that they completely cut the roti out of our order because I said my friend's meal needed to be gluten-free, and I guess they skipped the part where I said I'd happily eat her roti!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:30 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

vijita wrote:
My gluten-free vegan friend and I got take-out from Gurkha Himalayan Kitchen on Davie last night and it was really yummy! Not as spicy as I like it, but then I did neglect to ask for more heat. The vegan momos have an amazing tofu-spinach-curried filling and the mint chutney is amazing. Another favourite was the black eyed pea, potato, and bamboo shoot curry. Everything is flavoured with what I assume to be a lot of lemon juice and it really brightens up the flavours. My only complaint is that they completely cut the roti out of our order because I said my friend's meal needed to be gluten-free, and I guess they skipped the part where I said I'd happily eat her roti!

Ooooh, I've been wondering about this place, as it's about 5 minutes from my apartment! I've heard the patio is pretty nice? I don't usually crave curry in the summer so I'll have to check it out when the weather cools. Too bad about the roti!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:25 pm 

Oh we also went to Heirloom. The service, space, and my Bloody Mary were insanely amazing, but the food was meh for the $$$$. Their vegan hollandaise tastes like just straight up tahini. I like tahini, but salt? Lemon juice? Garlic? Please?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:28 pm 

vijita wrote:
Oh we also went to Heirloom. The service, space, and my Bloody Mary were insanely amazing, but the food was meh for the $$$$. Their vegan hollandaise tastes like just straight up tahini. I like tahini, but salt? Lemon juice? Garlic? Please?

I've never had their vegan hollandaise, they usually sub pesto on the bennies. I did try their non-vegan hollandaise thinking it was vegan (had a bite of my mom's) and went "holy shiitake this is authentic!" Turns out...it really was authentic.

I have a feeling Heirloom is amazing for vegetarians, but pretty hit-or-miss for vegans.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:31 pm 

Weird! How is a benny a benny when it's just scrambled tofu with pesto?

Jay's vegetarian and he wasn't super impressed (he got served a fried egg on his benny instead of the medium poached he ordered). The portions are pretty small for the price/quality. We had to order some potatoes because we were starving--they were five bucks for a tiny bowl but they did come with an outstanding house made spicy ketchup (and I hate ketchup, this was more like chutney). The lunch options at the tables next to us looked much more interesting, so I'd try it again but skip the brunch menu.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:33 pm 

I think I always like the idea more than the reality. Though they did at one point have this AMAZING beet dip with fresh house made chips.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:22 am 

Wild Rice in Gastown is closing its doors. I am so gutted. I know, I know there is a location in New West, but New West is like another world, especially since I already live on the island! My friend invited me to come over to Vancouver tomorrow for the Dine Out menu. I am so excited because: Smoked mushroom risotto with truffle scented potato chips! Kabocha squash ravioli in coconut dill sauce! Crispy salt & pepper tofu, cauliflower puree, pea and pickled mushroom vinaigrette! Callebaut chocolate pudding with red wine poached pears! I looked through tons of the dine-out menus and Wild Rice's is totally the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:28 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

vijita wrote:
Wild Rice in Gastown is closing its doors. I am so gutted. I know, I know there is a location in New West, but New West is like another world, especially since I already live on the island! My friend invited me to come over to Vancouver tomorrow for the Dine Out menu. I am so excited because: Smoked mushroom risotto with truffle scented potato chips! Kabocha squash ravioli in coconut dill sauce! Crispy salt & pepper tofu, cauliflower puree, pea and pickled mushroom vinaigrette! Callebaut chocolate pudding with red wine poached pears! I looked through tons of the dine-out menus and Wild Rice's is totally the best.

Is that one of the places you suggested I go when I'm in Vancouver for that show?! crepe! When is it closing? I'll be there on the 10th of February for dinner (can you come meet us for dinner?!).

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!