| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coming to Vancouver! Now what?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mr Moon and I have decided to stay in Vancouver for a couple says after our cruise in June. So, I'm looking for suggestions!

Where to stay? Where to eat? What to see?

I'd like to stay at a fairly nice hotel, that's near whatever is worth seeing. I'm considering The Sutton Place based on reviews, prices, and what appears to be a good location. I'm very happy to have recommendations, though. Seeing as this is our BIG TRIP I'm willing to spend for a nice room, but not $400 a night or that sort of craziness.

As for eating, hubby isn't veg so veg-friendly options are fine, as are veg options that aren't too "scary" (he is still wary of tofu and seitan but I'm getting him there).

I'm so excited, and can't wait for your input, PPK!

Post subject: Re: Coming to Vancouver! Now what?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:47 pm 
Chard Martyr

The perfect restaurant for you and your hubby to eat at is YEW. :) It's spendy, and a seafood restaurant, but the food is SUPERB and they have a vegan menu that is fantastic.
http://www.yewseafood.com/

Hotels are hard in Vancouver. They are all really expensive but I recommend choosing by neighbourhood and reading lots of reviews. I've stayed at the Lard Stanley in the West End a whole bunch of times and it's awesome (you can't beat the location, and the rooms are gorgeous) but only because I get a discount from my uncle so it only costs us about $100. Their rates might not be TOO bad though...I love love love looking out on North Van, the mountains, and Stanley Park. Places in East Van have awesome restaurants but if you only have two nights and really want to see the core of the city I would stay downtown.

There are tonnes of vegan-friendly restaurants/food trucks/etc in Vancouver. What kind of food do you love? For example everyone loves the Loving Hut truck and the vegetarian Mexican restaurant on Commercial Drive (and the raw places, etc...) but I would rather get dosa or Nepalese. Vancouver has it all though, and YEW is my most recent best ever dining experience.

For what to see, it's all right there in front of you! It's a pretty stunning city! :) What kind of attractions do you normally like?

Have fun! Vancouver is awesome. http://vancouverisawesome.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:27 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I am in Vancouver right now (from Seattle). We're renting a condo through Airbnb; we're in the Mount Pleasant neighborhood. We've loved 3G, Bandidas, The Black Lodge (eaten there twice!), Nuba. We've been to Fairy Cakes (cupcakes and cookies and fairy buns!) and Edible Flours (croissants, and croissants filled with cheese!), and we got a dozen donuts at Cartems. All of this is highly recommended; we've eaten so well and had such fun. There's a vegan shoe store here, which is lovely; stock is limited, though, and neither of us bought shoes (we did leave with socks, a cookbook, and a guitar strap). We spent a day on Granville Island, which is wonderful, especially if you like art. If you like books, Gastown is amazing for used books (and there's a Nuba there, too); we fell in love with The Paper Hound, which has a poetry vending machine and scrapbooks of photos found in used books. We even drove to Happy Veggie World in Richmond, to stock up on all sorts of vegan meat and seafood analogues.

We're about to go to dinner at Graze. We considered YEW, because their vegan menu does look amazing, but the idea of eating in a restaurant that possibly smells like fish/seafood makes me want to throw up. I think Graze's menu looks incredible, too.

We're spending tomorrow in Stanley Park, taking photographs with vintage cameras and lounging in this amazing weather. I think we're grabbing lunch at Mom's Grilled Cheese truck and dinner at Po Kong on the way out of town.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:45 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Veganchubosaurus sums it up nicely! There is a Vancouver Vegans facebook page which you can join to ask questions, but I bring it up because there is currently a poll about favourite places. The top three are Bandidas, Loving Hut Food Trunk (really limited hours) and Graze.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thanks for the input, guys! I can't wait to eat my way through the city!

I love all food, really. The only thing I haven't tried is Ethiopian. Mr Moon is not too picky, but anything too "weird" can turn him off. Occasionally a random ingredient or spice can make his IBS flare up so he can be a little less adventurous. I think Nuba and Bandidos would both be easy sells. YEW will be great for lunch, I think.

Any tips on the transit system? I've only ever used TTC subways in Toronto and public transportation is a little scary for me.

Vijita, thanks so much for recommending The Lard Stanley. Rooms are coming up at $189 which is fine to me. I love the location and Mr Moon would love to look over the marina. Looks like it isn't too far from Canada Place either, which is good. Only downside is there's no pool, so will definitely consider it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:37 pm 
Chard Martyr

$189 is good for what you get! The views are amazing--request a north or park-facing view! There's a Whole Foods a couple of blocks away and some good restaurants on Denman, including Legendary Noodle House, which doesn't have tonnes of vegan options but the ones they do have are awesome, and they have the best iced tea I've ever had in my life with gingko nuts and stuff.

The continental at the LS is pretty lame for such a nice suite, but there is peanut butter and bagels. The best part about the suites is the full kitchen and also the comfy sun rooms where you can stare across at west-enders cooking fancy dinners in their sleek apartments.

I'd consider Cafe Kathmandu! (Assuming it's still around) http://www.cafekathmandu.com/
I know some PPKers are huge fans of Grub too! I've never been to Graze but it looks fantastic.
Reviews are mixed about Heirloom and I think it's ridiculously pricey but I really swooned over my last meal there.
La Taqueria is essential!

veganchubosaurus' suggestions are ace. Edible Flours is really great. Get a scone!

I actually really like Panz for downtown fully vegan Chinese.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:49 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Tips for transit: if you're going to be using it a LOT in one day, it's probably worth it to get a day pass (I think it's 9.75, whereas each individual trip is 2.75 - with a transfer that lasts 90 minutes). Being on the Skytrain is much better because it's more reliable and comes every 5 minutes or so. The website translink.bc.ca has a trip planner, and I think there is a real time app if you have a fancy phone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:15 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Gotta say that our dinner at Graze was one of the best meals either one of us has ever had. The antipasti platter with several kinds of house-aged nut cheeses, and smoked tofu and olives? To die.

I've eaten at Po Kong on every Vancouver trip, but this time I was underwhelmed and unimpressed. I'll probably stick to 3G and Panz next time. 3G has our eternal appreciation for serving us even when they had technically closed early for a family event. We told them that we'd come back another night, but they insisted - like, took my boyfriend by the shoulders and lead him to the table - that we stay for dinner when we said we'd come from Seattle. They are the nicest. And the food is delicious!

We didn't stay downtown, but we paid less than half of what the LS is asking, and we got an entire apartment. Even the apartments/condos we looked at downtown through airbnb were only $100 or so per night.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:13 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I love the tasting menu at The Parker. It's a good way to see what you like. Everyone at the table has to do it and you all share each dish, so your portions of each thing aren't huge, but for five of us, we got about ten dishes and a taste of five desserts. I really wanted to keep the sunflower risotto with onion stuffed with cashew cheese and the rice pudding to myself but now I know for next time exactly what to order!

I also really love Heirloom -- I've been there three times but only for brunch!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:38 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh man, just over a week away! So excited.

Thanks for all the recommendations, it is so hard trying to decide where to eat and when. Considering all the options, I figure we will be eating at least two lunches on the Monday. Not that that's a bad thing.