| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vancouver suggestions
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:14 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

If anyone is still around who can offer suggestions:

I am planning to visit Vancouver in June and was hoping for not only food suggestions but itinerary feedback as well.
I know there is a crapton of stuff to see and do but I have to be realistic on what I can do in 10 days.
is it best to focus on the mainland (Vancouver, Sunshine coast, Whistler) than try to also fit in the island?
I think that alone would fill up 10 days easily. While I would love to visit Victoria and the other parts of the island, I have to make a choice. I just don't want to make a bad one.

Note -- will have a car; like to do intermediate hiking, rafting, gondola rides etc.
Also love churches and museums.
and of course, good food and pubs.

thanks!

Post subject: Re: Vancouver suggestions
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:44 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

The island is worth it. You can go to Victoria for a day trip if you want, but I recommend at least a night there. It has a completely different vibe than Vancouver and both of them are so totally worth it. Sigh. I miss my old towns. Victoria doesn't even have close to what Vancouver has going on but it is beautiful and a really, really friendly and easy place to have only a couple days in.

I'll be back with some recommendations! But I haven't been back for three years although I lived 12 years in those two places so I'm not as up on food anymore. Vancouver has lots of vegetarian restaurants but what I really miss about that city is the South Indian, Vietnamese, Ethiopian, Korean, Japanese... I am so jealous of you.

Hiking: Grouse Grind.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:33 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Thanks so much for the reply!
I am going to try to work Victoria in to the plan. It really seems too great to bypass.

Can you also give a recommendation on what neighborhood to stay in in Vancouver?
I will likely be doing airbnb and want something very walkable to other things, and has good pubs.

thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:06 am 

Gastown or the west end for walkability! East Van if you want to be centrered there, which has amazing bars and restaurants. But I would stay downtown--for kits and east van there's a bus that connects via the skytrain from downtown that constantly goes back and forth. It is an easily buss-able city but the downtown is kind of congested (being an island). The West End is kinda yuppie but beautiful (next to Stanley Park), Gastown is much "cooler" and edgier. Davie is fun too if there are some air b&bs there.

I would choose Gastown...I bet you can get a really great air B&B there. Again I'm on my phone but I'll be back soon! I will PM you and hopefully the PPK will not go away or we can switch to email. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:31 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'm going to be visiting Vancouver in June, too! Hi!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:56 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

more questions if I may??

I am really hoping to add Victoria to the itinerary.
But I am a little concerned about logistics and getting from one place to another without a ridiculous amount of hassle.
So here is what I am thinking:

Fly into Seattle
drive to Vancouver and spend 4 nights there,
then move onto to Whistler Village for 4 nights,
then drive/ferry to Victoria for 2 nights
and then back to Seattle.

On other forums (tripadvisor) other people have asked about similar routes and they often get the response that this is doing too much moving around and there is too much time spent on driving/ferrying and not enough actually seeing the area.

I know the ferries and border crossings eat up a lot of time and I don't want rush through places - I would rather skip a spot/city entirely and give more time to other places than rush through and not really enjoy it.

what are your thoughts?

thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:09 pm 

Whistler always feels so far to me. I don't have much advice there.

For the island, Pacific Coach Lines will be cheaper than taking a car, and will take you right downtown!