| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chicago thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:56 am 
Shopped till she dropped

So, boyfriend's birthday is on Thursday. When I asked him where he wanted to go to dinner, he said Chicago Diner. My omni boyfriend wants to go to the Diner for his birthday? Awesome!

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:50 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I don't remember seeing it, but I might have missed it: Has anyone tried El Faro? It's a Mexican place with lots of faux meat options? I'm looking at the yelp page now and I'm super curious.

Also, thanks ifer! I've never had (or heard of) bahn mi before but I'm suggesting to my boyfriend we try it this Friday!

Formerly rad.badger

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:48 am 

P.S. if anyone knows anyone that is looking for a place to live, I need a roomie.

Formerly rad.badger

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:22 am 
Nailed to the V

El faro is a major YES! My roommate used to live really close to there, so I used to go whenever I'd visit him. It's sososo cheap and yummy. I love the soy tacos. I know some people who are super committed to the tofu a la Mexican though...which is good and so much food, but feels more like something I'd make at home. Sometimes during the weekdays the vegetarian specials are really good too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:38 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

So I just read that Chipotle has added a (vegan) soup to their menu...but only in Chicago! Pretty cool! I have yet to try it though...

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... z1AeifpgVV

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:48 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

It's official! Ian's Pizza in Wrigleyville offers vegan pizza BY THE SLICE every Thursday (you can always order a whole vegan pizza any other day, though)! They started it last week, and it's going on indefinitely. I blogged about it, but that was pretty much the gist of it.

http://cupcakesandquinoa.blogspot.com/2 ... pizza.html

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:48 am 
Shopped till she dropped

Boyfriend took me to Ras Dashen last night for my birthday.

Holy crepe, it was good. I've been there a few times before, but seriously, everything was amazing. We were less than sober, so that might have accounted for something, but we inhaaaaaaaled everything. There's leftovers in the fridge. I'm afraid they won't be as good, so I didn't eat them tonight.

I could seriously eat dupa wat (pumpkin), shimbera asa wat (aka vegetarian 'fish' balls, heh), and misser wat (lentils) with injera every day. The boy got misserana bowmia (okra and lentils), but I wasn't into it. It was my first okra ever. There's some in the leftover box, so I might try it again.

Funnily enough, there was only one other table there last night. It was also a birthday celebration.

Best birthday dinner ever!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:15 pm 
Tofu Pup

theque wrote:
Anywhere to get softserve in Chicago? Chicago SoyDairy doesn't list any places in your state with softserve.

Veggie Bite has soft serve! They make their own and it is amazing. They do shakes too, but sometimes they're kind of watery. But for the soft serve, you can get toppings like sprinkles and peanuts, soo good!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:59 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

BunzOfCinnamon wrote:
So I just read that Chipotle has added a (vegan) soup to their menu...but only in Chicago! Pretty cool! I have yet to try it though...

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... z1AeifpgVV

The soup is good!!! I totally missed this part and texted Bunz that chipotle has a new vegan soup and OMG. I felt like a dunce, but thought I finally had news for her.

Anyway, try the soup! I got it with black beans and guac.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:06 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

So, I just got a tip that the Field Museum is planning an exhibition on horses, which is great! But, their premise for advertising it is: What if horses didn't exist, so they're making all of these ads with famous pictures on people on horseback and replacing the horses with other animals. Which is fine. What's not so fine is their marketing stunt for the St. Patrick's Day parade in which they plan to dress people up as policemen and have them ride COWS down the streets of Chicago. 1) Cows are not exactly accustomed to being mounted and this seems like a dangerous idea for the people and the cows. 2) Walking on pavement is really painful for hooved animals. 3) Imagine the drunk heckling of the poor cows! Perhaps if you have a minute you could send an e-mail to the Field letting them know that you've gotten wind of this plan and encouraging them to do something smarter to advertise their exhibition.

Here is the e-mail address of their marketing manager: rpomberg@fieldmuseum.org

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:58 pm 

I'm going to Karyn's for my birthday on Wednesday, and I want to know if anyone has had the Poached Haddock? What about the burger? I've been once before and had the ribs because I remember hearing raves about it and yes, they were AMAZYYYYYZZZZING but I dunno what to get this time, I don't want to be disappointed! Any tips?

Formerly rad.badger

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:23 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

Fred took me to Green Zebra last night for Valentine's/our anniversary that was 2 weeks ago. Honestly, I don't know. I didn't leave feeling all that impressed wit the food, primarily because I was really disappointed about how cheese-and-dairy-focused the menu is. Out of 15-20 items on the main menu, only 5 were marked vegan.

The salad I had was really good--baby lettuces with a fig dressing, shaved vegetables and squash. I loooooved the broth on my second dish, shittake mushrooms wrapped in cabbage and pototoes, kind of spring roll style. But I was a little disappointed with the third dish, chantarelle porridge with garlic and leeks. It honestly just tasted like tamari and leeks. Both of the last two dishes could have benefited from some texture. I would have loved some walnuts with either. I probably shouldn't have ordered both mushroom dishes, but there was a limited selection.

Our waitress was awesome, the wine was amazing, dessert was phenomenal (lime tapioca with coconut sorbet and roasted pineapple, oh god), so all in all, it was a good experience. And I'm now over my fear of fancy-pants restaurants.

During dinner, we decided to try Karyn's on Green soonish. I'm definitely eager to try an all-vegan nice restaurant.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:00 pm 
Nailed to the V

Frozenveggies, let me know what you end up getting! I'm going there on Friday with my partner and his parents for his birthday. I went once before and got a sweet corn risotto that was way too oily.

Kara, I went to green zebra Like a year ago and thought it was quite tasty despite the surprisingly limited vegan menu. so not worth the price for me though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:16 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

If anyone is looking for a new bike for the spring, this event is going on in my neighborhood, next weekend. It looks like there will be food and drink and other what have yous in addition to a bike swap.

http://www.activetrans.org/swap

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:28 pm 

Karyn's was so great! My boyfriend and I got the Jerry's (?was that it?) pizza appetizer - so good and so much food! Then I got the Poached Haddock (I was nervous, but it was really good! I haven't had any fish-like item for yeeeaaaars so it was really exciting.) The broccoli was perfect, the rice was good. My boyfriend got the Taco Bowl and it was good, but nothing special.

We got the Pecan Pie and Coconut Cream Pie for dessert. THE COCONUT CREAM PIE WAS AMMAAAAZIZIGINGNG! Get it! I don't know how they make their whipped cream but it was phenomenal. I can't wait for another special occasion to gorge on Karyn's.

Formerly rad.badger

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:38 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I am so excited about going to Chicago again. I'll be there at the end of March/beginning of April. Certainly, I am going to the Chicago Diner!

Can anyone recommend anything close to the downtown fancy-shmancy hotels? (We are going to be there for a conference.)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:29 pm 
Nailed to the V

Karyns on green is in the west loop. Otherwise, lots of stuff will be pretty easily accessible by public transit, but I generally avoid having to eat in the loop.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:59 pm 
Nailed to the V

Karyns on green is in the west loop. Otherwise, lots of stuff will be pretty easily accessible by public transit, but I generally avoid having to eat in the loop.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:23 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

My parents called this afternoon saying they were skiing in Wisconsin and wanted to stop by on their way home. Sweet! Free dinner! We went to Moonshine, on Division. They have vegan pizza! Tofu, oven roasted tomatoes, onions, spinach and Daiya. As is my common complaint with non-veg restaurants, the tofu needed a little more flavor. But overall, it was really good. My parents seemed to like it enough, which is always good. My dad is very meat-and-potatoes, meaning we have completely opposite diets, so finding a restaurant we can all enjoy is always a challenge. I definitely want to go back when their IPA is back in. I didn't know they brewed their own beer. Mmmmm. Growler.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:19 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

TRAGEDY.

Apparently, Earwax is closing on Feb 28th, due to financial reasons. I'm so incredibly upset. Earwax has been one of my favorite restaurants in the city years before I lived here.

This sucks. I need their vegan benedict, jerk seitan sammich, buffalo seitan, and pretty much the entirety of the (vegan) menu in my life.

I'm gonna go cry now.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:25 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

kara kara wrote:
TRAGEDY.

Apparently, Earwax is closing on Feb 28th, due to financial reasons. I'm so incredibly upset. Earwax has been one of my favorite restaurants in the city years before I lived here.

This sucks. I need their vegan benedict, jerk seitan sammich, buffalo seitan, and pretty much the entirety of the (vegan) menu in my life.

I'm gonna go cry now.

No! That's terrible news :( Earwax is a crucial component of the neighborhood/eating vegan on the cheap.

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:06 pm 

Oh no! I haven't eaten at Earwax yet! I'll try to get there this weekend, what should I eat if it's the only thing I'll ever have from them!??? Suggestions in these urgent hours, my comrades!

Formerly rad.badger

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:13 am 

Anyone for an Earwax meetup this Saturday?

Formerly rad.badger

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:23 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I would be totally down for that!

--Margaret Meade

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:39 am 
Huffs Nooch

Oh man. I wish I wasn't so busy! I live soooo close.

Profile WWW  

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next