| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VISITING 7/11-7/14
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:39 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Hellloooo all wonderful Chicagoans.
My mother and I, both vegan, need things to do while we're on vacay in Chicago these next couple of days. So, with our limited time there:

What should we do?
Where should we eat?

Our interests include: good vegan food, fancy dranks, gardens, art, music.

Please keep in mind that my mother travels sparsely. I want her to get the full experience, whatever that means to you. :) I've been there many a time but I want this to be enjoyable for my mother as well. Thanks all!

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

Post subject: Re: VISITING 7/11-7/14
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:38 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Hey there! There are threads for both favorite Chicago foods and for things to do in Chicago other than eat.

Some additional notes for fancy drinks: Scofflaw is super popular and I've had some pretty tasty fancy beverages from there. However, I've only been there like 2 or 3 times even though my partner's- and now my!- apartment is literally less than half a block away, because it is so very trendy and I'm not that excited about going to a destination bar in my own neighborhood. Also I'm always wearing paint stained clothes and I would feel underdressed or something. There's also Weegee's, which is much less of a destination place, about a mile further down Armitage which is my very favoritest cocktail place. VERY strong delicious drinks. Kind of a weird smell though. Delightful music and ambience and you can actually carry on a conversation above the music, unlike my attempts at going to the Whistler, and shuffleboard! That makes it a perfect family friendly destination, right?

Also, the new Logan Square Chicago Diner has a nice looking fancy drink menu, although the only cocktail I've actually had there is the bloody mary! Also if you like good beer, there is some relationship between the folks who started Revolution Brewery, which is right next door to the Logan Square Chicago Diner, and the Handlebar, which is one of the Chicago vegan classics. They don't have a ton of vegan options but I like their vegan tofu sandwich that has plantains and pickle relish on it, and I think there might be one or two other vegan options. And they do have a lot of very good beer.

I swear I leave Logan Square sometimes... but speaking of Logan Square, just down the street on the other side of my apartment from Scofflaw, is Palmer Square Park, which is the location of Tour de Fat, happening this Saturday! Bike parades and weird bike art and lots of silliness, hosted by Fat Tire brewery and benefiting the educational and youth programming aspects of the nonprofit bike shop that my partner manages!

I always recommend that people go eat at Ethiopian Diamond and then go just a few blocks away to see Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind, a series of 20 plays in 60 minutes.

Also the Garfield Park Conservatory is a must! It is the best. I always make more of an effort to go in the winter when I need more sunlight and plants but then I always miss anything that is outside in the summer.

Post subject: Re: VISITING 7/11-7/14
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:30 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

electric_claire wrote:
Hey there! There are threads for both favorite Chicago foods and for things to do in Chicago other than eat.

Some additional notes for fancy drinks: Scofflaw is super popular and I've had some pretty tasty fancy beverages from there. However, I've only been there like 2 or 3 times even though my partner's- and now my!- apartment is literally less than half a block away, because it is so very trendy and I'm not that excited about going to a destination bar in my own neighborhood. Also I'm always wearing paint stained clothes and I would feel underdressed or something. There's also Weegee's, which is much less of a destination place, about a mile further down Armitage which is my very favoritest cocktail place. VERY strong delicious drinks. Kind of a weird smell though. Delightful music and ambience and you can actually carry on a conversation above the music, unlike my attempts at going to the Whistler, and shuffleboard! That makes it a perfect family friendly destination, right?

Also, the new Logan Square Chicago Diner has a nice looking fancy drink menu, although the only cocktail I've actually had there is the bloody mary! Also if you like good beer, there is some relationship between the folks who started Revolution Brewery, which is right next door to the Logan Square Chicago Diner, and the Handlebar, which is one of the Chicago vegan classics. They don't have a ton of vegan options but I like their vegan tofu sandwich that has plantains and pickle relish on it, and I think there might be one or two other vegan options. And they do have a lot of very good beer.

I swear I leave Logan Square sometimes... but speaking of Logan Square, just down the street on the other side of my apartment from Scofflaw, is Palmer Square Park, which is the location of Tour de Fat, happening this Saturday! Bike parades and weird bike art and lots of silliness, hosted by Fat Tire brewery and benefiting the educational and youth programming aspects of the nonprofit bike shop that my partner manages!

I always recommend that people go eat at Ethiopian Diamond and then go just a few blocks away to see Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind, a series of 20 plays in 60 minutes.

Also the Garfield Park Conservatory is a must! It is the best. I always make more of an effort to go in the winter when I need more sunlight and plants but then I always miss anything that is outside in the summer.

Thanks!!

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine