| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fall/Holiday Potluck?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:45 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Phoebe has become quite that little Princess. She has gotten a lot bigger, up to 17 pounds now! I am sure Oliver would be nice and play! :-) Phoebe will play for hours these days. So much energy!

I think that I have decided to bring maple baked beans in the slow cooker. I think that this will be easy to transport & easy to reheat when we get there! I probably will bring some pumpkin cornbread to go along.

I think that I will also make this Brownie Pumpkin Pie recipe. http://ohsheglows.com/recipage/?recipe_id=6005705

I am really looking forward to the potluck! :-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:02 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I would love to meet some local PPKers. Do you have room for one or two more? I need to find out the exact location and cat situation. If I can't make it to this meet up, I do want to join in at some point. An all vegan potluck sounds like so much fun!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:39 pm 
Nailed to the V

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I would love to meet some local PPKers. Do you have room for one or two more? I need to find out the exact location and cat situation. If I can't make it to this meet up, I do want to join in at some point. An all vegan potluck sounds like so much fun!
Absolutely! New people are always welcome. Hope you can join us on Sunday!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:58 pm 

I'm fairly certain I can make it. It looks like we could use something green on the menu. Maybe I'll make a hot vegetable side, or a salad, or a soup with lots of greens in it. Does anyone object to kale, brussels sprouts, cabbage, or root vegetables such as turnips, parsnips, or beets? Those all sound autumnal to me. Any gluten free people, or nut allergies, or any thing else I should know about? I also want to bring a dessert, but I can't make up my mind. I'm thinking about pumpkin woopie pies, but it looks like a lot of pumpkin already. Maybe I'll make a pear tart.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:14 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Yay! I am so excited for this Sunday! I just confirmed with Mike that he is in too.

We decided to bring Dreena Burton's Savory Chickpea Tart since I know Nissa was curious to try it too. I was originally going to save this recipe for our actual Thanksgiving dinner, but decided I don't want to wait :-) http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?cat ... ageId=1201

Rhizopus Oligosporus - I'm looking forward to meeting you and all your ideas sound good to me! Have you decided which you want to bring? I was thinking of bringing Dreena Burton's Curried Kale Salad but if you wanted to bring a salad, then I'd be happy to bring a homemade cranberry sauce instead.
http://plantpoweredkitchen.com/recipes/ ... -dressing/

-Diana

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:57 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Oh, greens and vegetables and all of it sounds so good! I'm delighted we'll have a crowd, it will be great to meet you, Rhizopus Oligosporus . And Mike is coming, too! And there will be a chickpea tart!
I'm switching it up, and making squash risotto. Looking forward to seeing you all.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:07 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Yay!!! Hector, Phoebe & I are really excited to see everyone. I just have to remember that we are 1 hour ahead of Chicago, but I am sure that we will be on time!

Diana--I have been wanting to try Dreena's Tart too! I keep seeing it posted all over & have been curious to try it.

Rhizopus Oligosporus- everything sounds wonderful! :-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:09 pm 

VeggieNextDoor wrote:
Yay! I am so excited for this Sunday! I just confirmed with Mike that he is in too.

We decided to bring Dreena Burton's Savory Chickpea Tart since I know Nissa was curious to try it too. I was originally going to save this recipe for our actual Thanksgiving dinner, but decided I don't want to wait :-) http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?cat ... ageId=1201

Rhizopus Oligosporus - I'm looking forward to meeting you and all your ideas sound good to me! Have you decided which you want to bring? I was thinking of bringing Dreena Burton's Curried Kale Salad but if you wanted to bring a salad, then I'd be happy to bring a homemade cranberry sauce instead.

-Diana

No, I'm not at all attached to making a salad, I just thought salad would balance out the meal. Curried Kale Salad sounds delightful! Go ahead and make that. I'll make mustard maple roasted brussels sprouts with tempeh bacon or sausage.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:17 am 

Thank you for all the warm welcomes! I am excited to meet all of you as well! After much debate, I have decided that if no one else is making a pear dessert, I will make the VPITS Pear Frangepine Tart.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:02 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thanks, Rhizopos Oligosporus! The Curried Kale Salad it is. I can't wait to try your Mustard Maple Brussels Sprouts too - and the Pear Tart - wow, wow, wow!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:31 pm 
Nailed to the V

Everything sounds delicious! I'll be making a Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan topping, and an Apple Sausage Cranberry Stuffing. Can't wait to see everyone tomorrow!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:37 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Oh what a feast! Just a reminder, bring empty containers with you to share the leftovers!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:09 am 

It looks like we are in for some nasty weather today. Is everyone still going? I'm willing to brave it if everyone else is. After all, I can't eat all this bussels sprouts and pear tart by myself, and everyone else's food sounds delicious. Plus I'm excited to meet everyone. My husband has a cold, so he's going to keep his germs at home and it will be just me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:10 am 
Nailed to the V

I'll be there for sure! But I may leave Oliver at home, since the two things he hates most are wind and rain.

See everyone soon!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:29 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Of course we'll be there!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:26 pm 

I had the BEST time! It was so nice to meet all of you, and the food was soooooo goooood! It was very worth braving the bad weather and the scary drive! I hope to make it to more potlucks and meetups in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:04 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

It was so great to meet you Rhizo! Thanks for doing us and bringing your cheerful personality and AMAZING Brussels & Pie!!! My leftovers tonight were somehow even better!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:16 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I had lots of fun, and those leftovers are delish, again! So good to meet Rhizo, and to see you all. I now wish I had more of...everything. VeggieNextDoor, what recipe did you use for that salad? I think I want to make it for Thanksgiving!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:42 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

EmJaeDee wrote:
I had lots of fun, and those leftovers are delish, again! So good to meet Rhizo, and to see you all. I now wish I had more of...everything. VeggieNextDoor, what recipe did you use for that salad? I think I want to make it for Thanksgiving!

Here's the recipe, EmJaeDee!

Believe it or not, I had actually doubled the amount of curry powder, since the recipe as-is is only very lightly seasoned. Otherwise, I followed the recipe pretty much to a tee and used my food processor to quickly shred the carrots & fennel.