| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan friendly doctors?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:21 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Like a lot of people, I've only recently been able to get health insurance (though I got it through my job, not the ACA). Since I went so many years without it, I'm still not super quick to go to a doctor when I'm sick, and when I probably really should.

In the past, when I was vegetarian living in Houston, I had a doctor lecture me that I needed to eat meat, and it had nothing to do with any of my numbers or anything he'd found wrong with me -- he just felt everyone should eat meat.

I'm actually looking for a doctor to check out my thyroid/metabolism, since I've always had so much trouble losing weight, though I'm active and eat an extremely healthy diet. I just want to be able to find a doctor who isn't going to lecture me that I "need" to be eating meat and dairy.

Is there some kind of register somewhere that I'm not aware of that helps you find vegan-friendly doctors? Or does anyone have a good one in Chicago? (I'm in the suburbs in NW Indiana, technically).

Post subject: Re: Vegan friendly doctors?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:18 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

In my experience, most doctors are less interested in recommending lifestyle based changes than drugs, anyway, and if you eat a varied and fairly healthy diet, you're ahead of most Americans. I would focus on finding a good endocrinologist that you feel comfortable with, and just do some preemptive research about possible treatments that you would be more OK with, or that you wouldn't want. I believe there is a thread in the spa that includes folks talking about thyroid related treatments, and lots and f peoplengiving their opinion of where they are comfortable drawing their line for nonveganness of treatments. Good luck!