| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: must-eat in Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

creep wrote:
I'll be in Chicago with my husband and our two friends for a week in October. Please feel free to delete this or redirect me, but I couldn't find a thread with the obligatory Chicago vegan eats. Suggest, please! Less obvious places are especially welcome, because they're harder to find on Google & Happy Cow.

I left a a long and detailed culinary summary of my very recent week long trip to Chicago in this thread, which you may want to check out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:44 am 
BAD PASS

This is all awesome news, because I had no idea Girl & The Goat had vegan options! Stephanie is such a sweet lady (we do beer events with her sometimes), but I always assumed I wouldn't be able to eat anything if I ever went to her place. Same with Publican and Trencherman (our old chef opened Trencherman, and he flat-out refused to make anything vegan when he was here!).

On Sunday night I got delivery to The Map Room from a place called Arya Bhavan up on Devon. It was the first time I had Malai Kofta other than the one I made from IDA. It was amazing. Apparently all their food is vegan and they have pizza night: http://www.aryabhavan.com/event/pizza-n ... ce_id=4744 !!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:47 am 
Saggy Butt

I discovered Kitchen 17 (http://www.kitchen17.com/#!menu/cl69) last time I was there and fell in love. I had the Buffalo Greek burger and it was ridiculous. Next time I'll eat there every day so I can try more things!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:05 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I just registered for a conference in early February and I am am so excited to visit Chicago for the first time! We are there for four nights but will probably only have two nights free enough to go out for dinner, and this thread is overwhelming!

I need at least one meal to be Ethiopian, that's not even up for debate. If I had to choose another place for the second night, what on earth should I go with? Chicago Diner, or...? Is there somewhere omni that we could go to with my boss? I don't think he will go with a fully veg restaurant, but other than that he's adventurous. We all love international food but can get so little of it in NS so that is more exciting to me than vegan wings and cheeseburgers, as exciting as those are (!). For the meal with boss it would be company-paid so we can do it up without money being an issue!

Our conference is downtown if that helps.

Oh and we are there for a cider conference and my boss and husband are both winemakers, so there is a huge appreciation all around for excellent craft beers/ciders and good wine lists.

Also--any suggestions for hotels/air B&Bs near the Swissotel? Money IS definitely an issue there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:47 pm 
Tofu Pup

Everyone keeps mention the "huge" Whole Foods on North ave. But if I so a store search on their site none of them have a North ave address.... I usually stay downtown and hit the one in River North when I am in town. But which one is the big one??

If I may ask another question; recommendations for vegan sushi in Chicago?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:26 am 
BAD PASS

It's like...North and Kingsbury, I think. Right by the river. Close to Trader Joe's and Binney's (but on the other side of North).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:33 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yeah the actual address is 1550 n Kingsbury. (Also in the past listed as the Lincoln Park WF, but now that they're opening tons more stores in the area I'm not sure if that's specific enough anymore.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:45 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

For vegan sushi...I'm not sure, anytime I've eaten sushi since going vegetarian it's been more because with other non-vegetarians who want to eat it, so I stick with plain avocado or kampyo type rolls, but it looks like Wasabi in Logan Square has at least one interesting and loaded up veggie roll. I can't speak to how delicious it is or how much variety there is though, since I've only eaten the vegan ramen there. But it comes with fried lotus chips which sound awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:19 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Sunda has a vegan menu with 3 different "fancy" vegan rolls (and several other vegan options). They are definitely on the higher end, though.