| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Help me with my Chicago Plans
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:05 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Thanks all for the Kitchen 17 endorsements. I was reading some Yelp reviews and you all summarized what was said. I'll definitely be getting the deep dish on Wednesday night then! I really can't wait now...mmmm, buttery doughy pizza!!!

And I will be in Chicago next week, from the 11th-14th! I bet by the time I get there next week, the beautiful weather will turn into a cold front because that's just my luck!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:47 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My Chicago trip came and went. Your city is lovely (and cold and windy!) Here is what I ate:

-Kitchen17: We got in on Wednesday night and I really wanted deep dish pizza while in Chicago, and this is apparently the only place to get it vegan! It was good! It had layers of marinara, tofu ricotta, daiya, and teese. I missed out on the buffalo chickn one, but the owner was nice enough to add his house made buffalo sauce (bomb!) and I think beyond meat chkn strips. I think if it didn't have daiya on it, it would be 10 times better. Solid pizza though. Got the potato skins appetizer - skip it or ask something to dip it with, it was too plain.

-Chicago Diner: Brunch was disappointing but dinner and dessert is what's up! We went there twice, the first time for breakfast/brunch and it was disappointing. First, my biggest pet peeve is when veg*n restaurants serve soymilk that curdles in coffee. There are so many good products on the markets these days, including non-dairy milks and creamers that don't curdle! We ordered cinnamon rolls which tasted like the fridge (the outside layers were inedible), and the biscuits (in gravy) were dense - not awful, just dense. The tofu scramble was good though. I'm glad I gave them a second chance because dinner was greaaaat. Got the reuben with cheesey waffle fries, bbq seitan wings app, a cookie dough milkshake and a slice of carrot cake to go. Everything was on point. The seitan in the reuben are what my jewish dreams are made of. The cream cheese? filling in the carrot cake was perfect - not to sweet! Moral of the story, go somewhere better for breakfast! Go here for lunch/dinner!

-Ground Control: This place is aaamazing. I need a place like this in Philly! Staff was friendly, and the food is great! I messed up by not ordering the Asian bbq seitan sandwich, but the tofu bahn mi was slamming! My partner's torta was delicious too. Fries were crispy and the portions were huge.

-Handlebar: My only regret is not coming back here at a reasonable drinking hour for cocktails. Vegan white russian? Yum! We came here for breakfast and I wish we came back here for another meal! I got the biscuits and gravy with a side of collards, it was delicious (although the collards were chewy and not tender!) Also we got the fried pickles, because why not? They were great.

-Fritz Pastries: Missed out on the vegan croissants (go early!) but got a strawberry rhubarb pop-tart! I should have gotten a doughnut but I was doughnutted out at this point (I was in Vegas the week prior and ate my weight in Ronald's!) This didn't stop me from trying out Stan's Donuts while were on Milwaukee. They were pretty good! Not Ronald's good, but good enough!

We were going to go to Quesadilla (...) but we didn't eat breakfast early enough to fit in 3 meals! One of the staff from Ground Control recommended La Cocina instead of Quesadilla -- we had full intentions of going, I wish we could have fit one more meal in!! I also wanted to try Ethiopian Diamond and Amitabul -- next time!

Not food related: I loved Quimby's!! Reckless Records had surprisingly great prices on vinyl! Intuit was cool, they have a draw exhibit I recommend seeing. The Art Institute was well worth the admission price!! The public transportation beats Philly's any day of the week. The Whole Foods had not-yet-released to the general public Kite Hill products that I should have snagged way more of! Okay, that last one was food related.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:54 pm 
BAD PASS

Ground Control's bahn mi is one of my most favorite meals on earth!

I love Quesadilla la reina...something something, though -- I ordered 6 of their tamales on Sunday to share with a friend (they deliver really quickly too!), but she didn't end up having any, so I had tamales for two days and there's NOTHIN' wrong with that.