| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Toronto in May!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:56 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

As I mentioned a while back on the old Toronto thread, I'm going to be there for about 10 days in May for a wedding and to see my dad. I'm arriving on the 11th and leaving on the 20th. I'm booked for bachelorette party stuff on the 11th, and wedding stuff on the weekend of the 18th/19th, but my schedule in between that is flexible. I'd love to meet up if anyone has time/is interested.

I'm staying on Bloor near St. George, actually right up the road from Fresh, but I think I've eaten there like 4 times every time I visit, so I'd love to try anyplace else you guys recommend!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Post subject: Re: Toronto in May!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:17 pm 
Dildo Queen

YOU MUST EAT AT VEGETARIAN HAVEN, Hot Beans, and Urban Herbivore!
I've heard Hogtown is really good, too!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:40 pm 

Thanks, semiautomatic! I'll check those out!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:35 pm 
WELFARIST!

May is such lovely weather in this city, too! May might be my favorite month. Sunny days and not too hot or humid yet.

I don't eat out much, but I really like Urban Herbivore (I go to the one in the Eaton Centre every second Saturday and get a BBQ tofu sammich or one of their sammiches to go). And they have Fauxstess cupcakes that are yum, too. And a nice selection of other cupcakes if Fauxstess style aren't your thing.

I've been to Live (raw restaurant) two or three times (always with PPKers) and both times I was really impressed with my food. I think I got a raw pizza one time that I especially loved. Live is near Dupont subway station.

I haven't been there yet, but I saw a new organic eatery named Kale near Yonge and Eglinton (across the street from Noah's Health Food store) and I plan to eat there soon. I looked at their menu online and I thought some things looked good and reaasonably priced but again, haven't been there yet but can't say. But I hardly ever find bad restaurants, honestly.

Oh, and a group of us went to Hogtown Vegan in March and I think everyone really liked their food. I had the BLT and it was great. I thought their fries were overbrowned for my liking, but no biggie. The sammich was tasty and hit the spot. Hogtown Vegan is near Ossington subway station (western side of Toronto).

Years ago, I went to Fressen with some PPKers (who else!) and we had a lovely brunch of tofu scramble and homefries and the like. That was tasty, too.

Of course, there's Fresh which you already mentioned and I stop in there for one of their burgers and fries sometimes when I'm out and about downtown and in the 'hood for lunch.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:01 pm 
Chard Martyr

I know it doesn't always get the best reviews on the internet but Fressen was definitely my favourite place in Toronto! Maybe it helped that we ordered like every vegan item on the menu.

edit: oops. Google says they closed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:08 pm 
WELFARIST!

^Oh, no, I had no idea it closed!

But the guy who owned Fressen owns Urban Herbivore and that has two locations so maybe he just focuses on UH now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:42 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Vegetarian Haven for SURE. It's everything Fressen tried to be but way better. Fressen came back with a new name and new branding, but I haven't heard good things.
Hogtown Vegan which is also on Bloor, just West of Ossington. It's vegan soul food, so so good. Their mac and cheese and collard greens are my favourite thing,, the mac and cheese is the most Kraft-dinner-like one I've ever had (which is a good thing!)
I love Urban Herbivore and Hot Beans in Kensington Market.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:02 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm not into the above types of foods, as I find I can make them myself. My favourite places for vegan foods are Ethiopian (there are a TON of places on Bloor, all with veg options), Asian (Greens Vegetarian on Dundas/west of Spadina), and Indian (especially Udupi Palace in Little India). Have fun!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:02 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

here's another vote for urban herbivore! and hot beans!
also, a friend of mine was working at the urban herbivore in kensington, and now she's working at the owner's new place (forget the name); apparently it's more upscale/expensive, but it's probably great.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:16 pm 
Inflexitarian

Hot Beans is great! I was there yesterday. Make sure you scout out their secret menu. Going in early on Saturday or Sunday is good too, because that's when they have breakfast burritos. The regular burritos are good but the special ones are better.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The new Fressen is called Grasslands, definitely more upscale-ish, I was there with two omnis tonight and it was SO GOOD. It is not inexpensive, but we ordered three starter things (charcuterie board, corn chowder for two and polenta cakes) and we all left suitably full. They also have a bar menu for cheaper eats.

I just finished eating my Urban Herbivore double chocolate cupcake, it was pretty delicious.

I would love to do a PPK meetup if one gets going!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:20 am 

mamatafari wrote:
I'm not into the above types of foods, as I find I can make them myself. My favourite places for vegan foods are Ethiopian (there are a TON of places on Bloor, all with veg options), Asian (Greens Vegetarian on Dundas/west of Spadina), and Indian (especially Udupi Palace in Little India). Have fun!

Thanks, mamatafari! I think I've actually been to Greens once before. Although I love all the cuisines you mention, those are usually the kinds of foods that I can get over here, so I'm actually more excited to go places like Urban Herbivore and Vegetarian Haven because stuff like that is harder to find in Europe.

Moon wrote:

I'm totally up for it if anyone else is! I just don't know if folks are available on the dates I'm there. Maybe Sunday the 12th or a weekday evening?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:07 pm 
WELFARIST!

lepelaar wrote:
Moon wrote:

I'm totally up for it if anyone else is! I just don't know if folks are available on the dates I'm there. Maybe Sunday the 12th or a weekday evening?

I could probably do Sunday the 12th (if I'm not hungover as I have a dinner party to attend Sataday night at my friend's patio that might go late and I might let loose ifyouknowwhatI'msayin') but I realistically expect I should be able to make a brunch or lunch the next day. Also, it's Mother's Day so restaurants will be crowded for sure (not sure if veg restaurants will be crowded but it'll be a busy day for restaurants for sure). But it's an okay day for me and I feel like I should be able to make it. See what others think...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:22 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Not food, but if you haven't been there the Bata shoe museum is so much fun. Even if shoes aren't your thing. It's still fascinating.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:28 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

HOGTOWN VEGAN!! And Hot Beans!! Definitely my favourite places.

I'd be down for a meetup on the 12th!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:38 am 
Inflexitarian

I'd probably be down, too! I won't be able to say for sure until closer to the day, but I'm interested.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:08 am 

Great! I'd love to meet you all! Seitanicverses, I'm likely to be jetlagged AND hungover on Sunday (I'm flying in and pretty much going straight to a bachelorette party on Saturday) so you'll be in good company. Would 1 pm be doable for folks?

I'm probably going to end up trying all of the places mentioned here at some point during my stay, so I'm pretty easy about where to go. What's good for a lazy Sunday afternoon (and maybe least likely to be packed with Mother's day diners)? Hogtown Vegan? Urban Herbivore? Hot Beans? Vegetarian Haven?

Would it make sense to reserve a table somewhere?

Annak, the funny thing is, I'm in TO maybe once every 1-2 years and stay pretty much across the street from the Shoe Museum and still have never been there. I tend to favor the ROM and the AGO. I'll have to drop by there one of these days.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:12 pm 
WELFARIST!

1 pm would be fine with me on May 12 (Sunday). Where should we go? I'm not familiar with what places get crowded. I do wanna say the set up of Hot Beans is not good for meet ups (no tables, but bar stools where we have to turn away from our food to talk) in general. Unless, of course, that's changed. Of the other ones mentioned, I'd like Veg Haven but no idea if it'll be more crowded because of Mother's Day. If everyone likes Veg Haven, I can call and try to make a reservation. I'll wait for some others to chime in with their thoughts on it.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:33 pm 
Dildo Queen

I might be available on the Sunday too!!! I'll be in town, I'll see what my bf is planning. I'd love to meet up. But oh yeah...mother's day...damn.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:11 am 

Great, semiautomatic! The more the merrier!

Ok, so it sounds like Hot Beans is not ideal, and I just checked Vegetarian Haven and it looks like they don't do lunch on the weekends (unless I read that wrong). If that's the case, should we go for Hogtown Vegan or Urban Herbivore? (Or someplace else? I mean, I do like Fresh if folks prefer to go there, or if one of the locations would be easier.) You guys just went to Hogtown for a meet up, didn't you? Don't know if folks want to go there again, or which place would be less likely to be swamped.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:52 pm 
WELFARIST!

I could go back to Hogtown Vegan. There's definitely other stuff on the menu I'd like to try there. I don't know how crowded it would be for Mother's Day though (I actually think it would be all right, but I have no proof of this other than just my instinct--it's not downtown downtown, for one thing, it's a little bit in the west end so maybe not as desirable place as a downtown downtown location might be for Mother's Day but I suspect any place we go might possibly be more hopping than usual in light of Mother's Day).

I'm happy to go to Urban Herbivore too, if others like. I'm just at UH a lot due to the Eaton Centre location so I'm pretty familiar with all the items on the menu. Wherevers everyone would like.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I ALWAYS want to go to Hogtown Vegan, but I would also be down for Urban Herbivore. I kind of feel like Hogtown Vegan is normally busy for weekend brunch. I don't think it would be a lot busier than usual for Mother's Day, but like seitanicverses I'm not basing that on anything other than instinct. I have no idea about Urban Herbivore. Does Urban Herbivore do brunch or is it their regular menu?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:11 pm 
WELFARIST!

Just basing on the Eaton Centre location, Urban Herbivore doesn't do brunch and always serve the regular menu. I've only been to the Kensington Market location once and it was near closing because they were running out of food because I was limited to an item or two. Does the KM UH location have tables and you think it's better for a meet up if we decide to go there? The Eaton Centre UH is in a food court so loud with high turnaround tables.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:45 am 

Should we go for Hogtown Vegan then? Sounds more brunchy, and it sounds like everyone is happy to go there! Is it possible to reserve? (I know some brunch places refuse to reserve.)

Should we maybe get a head count of who wants to come? I'm definitely in (duh) and it sounds like lobsteriffic and seitanicverses are too.

Maybes are Moon, Tea, and semiautomatic? Anyone else thinking of coming?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Unfortunately Hogtown doesn't take reservations (and FYI they are cash-only). But the deliciousness is worth having to potentially wait for a table!