| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First time in Toronto next weekend! Where to eat and go?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:44 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

After four years of living in Canada, I FINALLY get to piggyback on a business trip of my husband's and see Toronto for the first time!

But OMIGOSH, you guys have so many options! What would you recommend for a first-timer?

(Note: my husband went to university there and lived for a while after graduating. But the city is new to us in terms of being vegan.)

Post subject: Re: First time in Toronto next weekend! Where to eat and go?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

HOGTOWN VEGAN! They have an amazing brunch, but their regular menu is great too.
Fresh is really good, there are a few locations (the BBQ burger is OMG delicious).
Hot Beans is in Kensington and is delicious. It's more of a take out place but there are some stools and stuff to sit down and eat if you want.

All 3 of those are accessible via public transit if that's how you are getting around.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:58 pm 
WELFARIST!

I love The Big Carrot on the Danforth between Pape and Chester subway stations (it's a store, I guess sort of like a Whole Foods but they have a take out deli)and Happy Planet is right up the street, another supermarket type deal and that's a shiny new store and no one's ever in there when I pass (I don't think they'll last long, honestly. They're geographically too close to The Big Carrot and The BC is a well-established market with a pretty devoted following and thus hard to compete against, methinks). The Big Carrot is closer to Chester subway station and Happy Planet will have you walking toward Pape subway station. Both on the Danforth (aka Danforth Road).

I don't eat out much but I've enjoyed Live (near Dupont station) for its raw foods. I'm not a raw foodie, per se, but I enjoyed the food there.

I second Hogtown Vegan and I like Fresh too. I think Hogtown Vegan is sort of an extra special treat!

If you're in the Eaton Centre, you can get a yummy sammich at Urban Herbivore in the food court.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:12 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Ooooh!

Hogtown Vegan - yummy soul food. Get their combo! Chick'n, mac and cheese and collards

Go to Kensington Market, first and foremost because it's one of Canada's most vibrant and multiethnic neighbourhoods but also because of Hot Beans (tacos and burritos, get their seitan burrito omg), Sadie's which is next door to Hot Beans for ice cream, floats and donuts, Urban Herbivore (amaaaazing sandwiches, juices and muffins), and a new place called Thomas Lavers Cannery does vegan Banh Mi and Reuben sandwiches, but I haven't had them so can't vouch.

For fancy sit-down food, go to Vegetarian Haven. It's near the Ontario College of Art and Design. Make reservations in advance. It's amazing and fancy, really reminded me of a slightly less fancy version of Candle 79 in NYC.

If you find yourself out in The Beaches (which is pretty far from "downtown", imo, but a nice area by the water), go to Tori's Bakeshop. Suuuper cute, everything is delicious, the cinnamon buns are so yum.

For breakfast, go to Sadie's Diner (the sit-down restaurant affiliated with the ice cream place in Kensington). It's vegetarian/vegan. Their french toast and vegan rancheros are both killer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:33 pm 
Tofu Pup

I just visited Grasslands (a new concept which has recently replaced Fressen, a well known high-end vegan staple in the city) for the first time last night and it was easily the best vegan meal I have had in Toronto in a very long time. If you're looking to have a nice dinner out or some unreal cocktails it is definitely worth a visit. The seitan roast was unbelievable.

http://www.grasslands.to/

Enjoy your visit!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:00 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Definitely check out Kensington Market! Hibiscus is my favourite place to eat in the city (http://www.yelp.ca/biz/hibiscus-toronto)
The soup and salad combo is amazing, and so is the ice cream!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:54 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

trix mafia wrote:
Definitely check out Kensington Market! Hibiscus is my favourite place to eat in the city (http://www.yelp.ca/biz/hibiscus-toronto)
The soup and salad combo is amazing, and so is the ice cream!

hibiscus is great! i have not gotten enough meals from there (the pictures on yelp look faaantastic). the past few times i've been, it's to get ice cream (black sesame, do it!).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:04 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Have fun!!
I always say go for Ethiopian if you don't get a chance to eat it often!

I know Sherbrooke doesn't have the same variety and diversity that Toronto offers.

As I've said before, I'm not so into the hogtown vegan type of restaurant. I'd rather do some delicious sushi/japanese, chinese (there's Greens downtown near kensington market or some awesome places with dim sum just north of toronto), indian etc.