| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan shoes in Toronto?
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:43 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Anyone have any tips on where I can look for vegan shoes in town? It's looking increasingly like my Macbeth sneakers aren't going to last out the week here and the only other pair of shoes I've got with me are heels for the wedding!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Post subject: Re: Vegan shoes in Toronto?
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:13 pm 
WELFARIST!

The only vegan shoe place I used to go to was Left Feet on Naussau Street in Kensington Market and he closed a couple of years ago. The only shoes I buy lately are running shoes which are easy to find non-leather at sports stores...

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:14 pm 
Dildo Queen

I wear Vans - they have a ton of styles, made with canvas. (and you can find theirshoes just about anywhere in toronto, especially yonge street and queen st west). If you like Macbeth's I'm assuming you'd like vans, similar styles.

I used to buy Macbeth's at Neon but they closed I think (unfortunately).

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:05 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I wish I knew! We buy most of our shoes online since it's a real problem to find good ones in SW Ontario.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:47 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thanks, guys! I ended up getting a pair of Sketchers at Eaton Centre. I've had luck finding comfortable, non-leather shoes from them before. They're probably not 100% vegan (glue), but not only were my sneakers falling apart (after only a half year) but they were really not supportive enough for walking around Toronto.

Considering how vegan friendly TO is, I'm surprised there isn't a vegan shoe/bag shop somewhere! Amsterdam is kind of the opposite. Not a lot of good vegan grub, but there is a great shop for vegan shoes/bags/wallets/stuff.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:06 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I've got a good pair of hiing shoes from MEC. They're not exactly stylish, but very comfortable. I find MEC's staff is really helpful if you say you need something with synthetic materials.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:24 am 
Tofu Pup

Groovy Shoes on Queen St W! They're located downtown, and the store has a pretty decent selection of vegan sneakers. They're not exclusively vegan, but they label all the shoes that are (which is helpful, since I always get funny looks when I visit shoe stores and flip over each shoe to check what materials it's made from). Their website has a vegan shoe section as well, but I don't think it's been updated in a while.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:25 am 
Tofu Pup

There's a store Balisi which has 4 Toronto locations and offers great dressy and trendy styles. By no means are they a vegan/vegetarian store, however they carry a couple lines of vegan shoes. I got a great pair of brown, mid-calf height 'leather' boots for next to nothing during their winter sale and have been very happy with them. I found out about their vegan lines when I was actually shopping with a friend and overheard a sales associate telling a customer that the shoes she was looking at were vegan. Store staff is generally helpful and knowledgable HOWEVER beware... I suspect they work on commission because their demeanour TOTALLY changes when you articulate you're NOT going to be buying an item.

Get Outside is another place to get great shoes... particularly the hipster, casual and sporty variety. This store has a downtown and uptown location. They carry a lot of different labels but not all are vegan, so ask.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:27 pm 
Tofu Pup

Incredibly late to the party, but throwing in my two cents...

John Fluevog (Queen and Peter St.) occasionally has vegan shoes. I just popped onto the website and there is an astounding two pairs for women listed. Slightly disappointing, but another option should the need arise. :-)