| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm moving to Toronto! ...help?
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:01 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Hi Guys/Girls/Fabulously Other Gendered Folks,

I'm moving to you! Not til late August/September, but I'm starting to stress already!

I haven't been to Toronto since I was about 2 (fun fact, I was conceived there! Ew!), so it is a brand new city to me.

I will be going to York, I will be broke as shiitake (sigh), and I have been told I probably want to live in the West End(?)/Side(?), close to the TTC.

Where do I live? How cheap can I find rent for a bachelor/studio? How hard is the city to navigate? What do I do in a city with 5 times the population of my own? Hold me! (And cheer me with tales of delicious food!)

See you soon!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

Post subject: Re: I'm moving to Toronto! ...help?
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:23 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Wooooo! That's really exciting. I'm perhaps a bit biased, but I've been around the block and I forking love Toronto. It's such an incredible, diverse hub of awesome.

I'll let others chime in on where to live to be close to York, since my experience with living in Toronto is living right downtown, which wouldn't make sense if you're attending York which is actually in the Northwest part of the city. If you live in Vancouver, Toronto housing prices shouldn't scare you too much, especially outside of the downtown core.

Between the subway, streetcar and bus system, you can get anywhere you need to go. The subway is basically a big capital H shape and it's easy to learn, it'll take you like a day or two.

The streets in Toronto are laid out very gridlike, North-South and East-West. Once you get the feel for what street names are, it's really easy to get around.

And the food! And culture! So much vegan food. Familiarize yourself with Kensington Market for vegan burritos, donuts, shakes and tons of fresh produce.

Yay! Once you get settled, you'll have to meetup with us!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:28 pm 
Inflexitarian

Yay!

I don't know anything about the area around York University, and hardly ever use the TTC so can't offer much help there, but... if for some reason you want to live near College and Bathurst, with housemates and a kitty for ~$600, one of my housemates is moving out around then (late August/Sept) so you'd be in luck! (York is quite a ways away from here though so maybe not, but we ARE close to TTC)

I find the city pretty easy to navigate, after growing up somewhere with with maybe 1/10 of the population here, although again I have no idea what the area around York is like. A friend of mine is in a pretty nice bachelor for $800 a month, a ways out West (Basically right next to High Park). She's a bit further from TTC, though. You might be able to find cheaper at the expense of maybe being a bit less nice.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:48 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I moved here last June and I had never been to Toronto before. It's pretty easy to figure out how to get around on the TTC. When you are apartment hunting I would definitely keep TTC closeness in mind. I've never been to York, but I hear there is a free shuttle bus from Downsview subway station. It's kind of boring around Downsview so you may not want to live up there, but I would probably not stray too far from that subway line (it depends how long of a commute you are comfortable with).

if you are close to a subway line it is pretty darn easy to get to other parts of the city relatively quickly.

When I was planning to move here I asked the PPK a ton of questions and it definitely helped!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:16 am 
Chard Martyr

Whoa! All I have to say is congrats, since I'm assuming this is a job or school move, or even if not not, have fun! I find Toronto really easy to navigate, but I am no expert. I do have a lot of friends who live there, and they are the type of friends who would be more than happy to help out with stuff.

Compared to Vancouver, Toronto is cheap! Or at least, cheaper.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:19 am 

vijita wrote:
Whoa! All I have to say is congrats, since I'm assuming this is a job or school move, or even if not not, have fun! I find Toronto really easy to navigate, but I am no expert. I do have a lot of friends who live there, and they are the type of friends who would be more than happy to help out with stuff.

Compared to Vancouver, Toronto is cheap! Or at least, cheaper.

Grad school! And thank you!

I have this fear I'm going to arrive mid-August and not be able to find a place and then...I don't know what comes after that. It probably won't happen like that but it could!

I will probably be back with more questions as we get closer to August...

Thanks err'body!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:24 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I scouted out places on the internet before I got here and had a few neighbourhoods in mind. Then when I actually arrived, I booked a week at a place on Airbnb and hit the ground looking for a place to rent. I found it easier than arriving here without a clue where I wanted to be.

When you arrive we definitely need another Toronto PPK meetup!

EDIT: P.S. What will you be studying in grad school?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:31 am 

Health Policy and Equity. It's such a cool program! It's basically bringing social justice into healthcare policy.

Thankfully I've got family I can stay with while I'm looking, and my mom is coming out with me for a week or so to help me look for apartments/bring more stuff/etc. And she grew up in TO so she can help me navigate until I have a handle on what's what.

And I look forward to meeting everyone, though I warn you, if what I hear about Toronto summers is true I may non-functional until Fall....we don't really have summer here!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:33 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh cool, a portion of my work is on health equity research so we'll have to talk. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:36 am 
WELFARIST!

yay! More future meetups! I'm not too experienced on the current market housing front but I agree that TTC accessibility is very important. Close to a subway station is best and second best is having a bus that runs down your street that will take you to the subway.

Summers can be unpleasantly humid here--it's true! <3

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:37 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

York has such amazing programs! Congrats!!

I would say don't move tooo too far away from the school. Maybe try to find a place close to Eglinton Avenue west or St. Clair Avenue west. Join the Toronto Vegetarian Association page. There are sometimes apartments advertised (shared or non) just for veggies!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:13 pm 

Thank you mamatafari!

I will check all those things out.

Who knew, uprooting and moving cross country gets harder the older I get!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:26 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

yeah, summers in SW Ontario...yeesh. You kind of never get used to how oppressively humid it gets! But there's plenty of other awesomes, so it's all good.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:21 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Not sure how mobile you will be, but these are my favourite grocers in Toronto:

http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2012/09 ... s-a-vegan/

Others have already said how easy it is to use the TTC, although I know York is not particularly central. Get a bike, it will be easy to get around then. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:35 am 
Inflexitarian

Mmm. I go to Essence of Life and Tutti Frutti pretty often, and my partner lives more or less right next door to Lucky Moose.. Those places are magical.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:24 pm 

Hi Everybody, I'm here!

I've been to Noah's and had a yummy butter "chicken" thing, I've had an obscenely overpriced bowl at Fresh ($16 for maaaaybe $3 worth of product! And he overcharged me by about $3 when he punched it in the debit machine), and I've had decent pad thai from some local place.

Can people tell me about vegan frozen yogurt options? This city is bizarrely full of frozen yogurt and the internet says a few offer vegan options!

I'm in the Casa Loma area which *I think* is basically Bathhurst and St Clair but I could be completely wrong on that front.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:52 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yay you're here! Bathurst & St Clair is such a great area!

I would also be interested in vegan froyo intel.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:09 pm 
WELFARIST!

Welcome! I think Casa loma is a great area!

I don't know about frozen yogurt though...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Someone once told me Tutti Frutti has vegan froyo, but it's way out in the 'burbs.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:38 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I live at Bathurst and St. Clair -- welcome to the neighbourhood!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:15 pm 

Thank you!

I tried Yo Yo Yogurt today (Bloor and Spadina basically) and it was pretty good. They had two dairy-free options which apparently rotate. They were both fruit based (peach and kiwi) which is okay but I just want a god damned plain vanilla! And I have never seen a dairy-free vanilla. The neat thing there, though, is that all the vegan toppings are marked and there's a pretty good selection--fruit, nuts, granola, sprinkles, oreos, as well as some yummy sauces that are also marked. Off the top of my head what I remember being vegan were a yummy peanut butter sauce, chocolate sauce, a maple sauce and maybe a strawberry sauce.

I got a nice sized bowl plus toppings for about $5 I think.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

oh sweet! Next time I'm in the area I'll need to check it out!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Also, if you join the Toronto Vegetarian Association group on Facebook (not liking the TVA page, but join the actual FB group), you could probably post your inquiry re: dairy-free vanilla froyo there and folks could chime in.

I don't think I've ever had froyo, vegan or otherwise.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:26 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I am in that neighbourhood too! I would love to have a meetup. Anybody want to go for lunch at Hogtown Vegan one day? I am in the mood for a giant sandwich and some fries...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I love Hogtown!