| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shoes?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:17 pm 
Inflexitarian

Anybody know the best stores to find shoes that aren't leather or anything, that are also large sizes?

This is me coming out: I'm trans. Still closeted with most people, so those of you I have on facebook maybe don't post about it.

It seems like finding vegan shoes is hard, and finding shoes in my size (womens 12 or 13?) is also hard. Both requirements simultaneously seems to be a challenge. I found some nice shoes and boots online, but I'm worried about fitting, so I'd rather find a good store to visit, preferably either right downtown or near the TTC somewhere.

Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Shoes?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:53 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I think Payless carries womens shoes in size 12. They're not the highest quality, but most of them are manmade.

Tallgirl has shoes in really large sizes, but most of them are leather and quite $$. :(

I have walked past this place on Queen but I haven't been in, but they might have something?
http://www.heandsheclothing.ca/en/

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:12 pm 
Inflexitarian

lobsteriffic wrote:
I think Payless carries womens shoes in size 12. They're not the highest quality, but most of them are manmade.

How low quality is low quality? Like, how fast would a pair of Payless boots fall apart?

Quote:
Tallgirl has shoes in really large sizes, but most of them are leather and quite $$. :(

That's frustrating!

Do you mean Long Tall Sally? I'm looking at their shoes online right now. They have a few things that look nice. I like these.

The synthetic shoes all seem to be on the lower price end of what they have, so I'm curious how much of that is related to how well they're made versus just the cost of the material. How can you tell if a shoe is good quality before walking around in it for a month?

Quote:
I have walked past this place on Queen but I haven't been in, but they might have something?
http://www.heandsheclothing.ca/en/

Looks interesting. I'll check them out!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:23 pm 
Inflexitarian

Now I'm window shopping on Mooshoes and being tempted to give in and try ordering online. Might be dangerous. Also way too expensive.

eta: Also almost nothing in my size. Nevermind.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:52 pm 

niceshoes.ca is a vegan shoe store, like Mooshoes, that is Canadian so you don't have to pay duty or anything, but they don't carry much in larger sizes. I'm a size 11 and usually they only have up to a size 10. :(

I did mean Long Tall Sally!! It used to be called Tallgirl, and for some reason that's what I still call it. Most of the brands they sell are pretty okay quality...they also sell Blowfish which is a totally vegan line. They have some footwear in their store down at the atrium on Bay (across Dundas from where Sears used to be), but not as much selection as is online. I haven't been into their brick and mortar store in quite some time.

Payless shoes/boots will probably last you a season of heavy use, more for occasional use. If you bought a pair of boots and wore them every day you are probably going to get one winter out of them for example. That being said, some of their brands are better than others so it's worth it to go and see what they have in your size!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:03 pm 

Tea wrote:

Do you mean Long Tall Sally? I'm looking at their shoes online right now. They have a few things that look nice. I like these.

Those are super cute!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:09 pm 
Inflexitarian

lobsteriffic wrote:
niceshoes.ca is a vegan shoe store, like Mooshoes, that is Canadian so you don't have to pay duty or anything, but they don't carry much in larger sizes. I'm a size 11 and usually they only have up to a size 10. :(

Boo :(

Quote:
I did mean Long Tall Sally!! It used to be called Tallgirl, and for some reason that's what I still call it. Most of the brands they sell are pretty okay quality...they also sell Blowfish which is a totally vegan line. They have some footwear in their store down at the atrium on Bay (across Dundas from where Sears used to be), but not as much selection as is online. I haven't been into their brick and mortar store in quite some time.

I'll definitely check them out! If they don't have shoes I like in stock, it sounds like it's free shipping from online if I have it sent to the store.. and if I get my size wrong, I can probably return them then and there. Not THAT much of a hassle.

Quote:
Payless shoes/boots will probably last you a season of heavy use, more for occasional use. If you bought a pair of boots and wore them every day you are probably going to get one winter out of them for example. That being said, some of their brands are better than others so it's worth it to go and see what they have in your size!

Oh, that isn't bad. I guess I tend to get cheap things anyway and am also pretty hard on shoes, but that doesn't sound unreasonable.

Quote:
Those are super cute!

I know!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:24 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

lobsteriffic wrote:
Tea wrote:

Those are super cute!

Oh, I love those boots! I walk past Long Tall Sally all the time (there's one in Atrium on Bay near the Eaton Centre) and it does look like a pricey shop and I've never gone in to browse but there are always cute things in the windows and on racks from what I've seen just passing by.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:26 pm 

It *is* pricey, but if you shop their sales it isn't too bad. I like it in there because I'm usually one of the shortest people, and I'm 6'!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:37 pm 
Inflexitarian

Okay so what I'm leaning towards is: Get that pair of boots I like from there (not sure if black or brown is better. hmm.), and then get nice cheap Payless shoes. It's like something resembling a compromise, maybe?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:41 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I know I'm thinking of stopping in to look at those boots myself next time I pass by LTS! I, personally, get black because I always get black bootwear (because of its goes-with-everything versality and my life is about budgeting) though I will definitely look at the brown. Maybe it's time for me to get a pair of brown boots for a change.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:17 pm 
Inflexitarian

I'm torn! Black would almost certainly match basically everything but the brown just looks better on its own.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:50 am 

I think in that boot I prefer the brown, but like seitanicverses I almost always buy black footwear. But like 85% of my wardrobe is black.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:33 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Check out a store called Spring. They have really nice non-leather boots. I'm going there today to buy myself a pair. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:26 pm 
Inflexitarian

Cool! Is that this store? Definitely worth checking out. It looks like they only go up to 11 and I'm pretty sure I need 12... but maybe some of them are slightly larger? And also, I could be wrong about my mens size to womens size conversion. They're not too far from Payless or Long Tall Sally so can't hurt.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:36 am 

Thanks for posting that mamatafari! I've been searching high and low for vegan boots that I like in a size 11 and I found a pair on the Spring website! Yay!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:53 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Tea wrote:
Cool! Is that this store?

Yes! That's the store! I went yesterday to try boots on, and the foot is narrower than before. Grrrr. I'm also looking to buy something from globo shoes online. Their sizes go up to 11 at least.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:57 am 

Did you have any luck, Tea? I was in Long Tall Sally the other day and I was kind of shocked at how poor the shoe selection was compared to their online site.

I ended up getting a pair of boots from Spring, thanks for the tip mamatafari! I think they will be really slippery on ice though so I might have to figure out how to make them more grippy. Maybe those cleat things you can attach to the bottom of shoes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:54 pm 
Inflexitarian

I ended up feeling cheap and went to Payless yesterday! Only, I couldn't decide between a pair of ankle boots with heels and a pair of knee highs without heels, but there was a 50% off sale... so I just got both and ended up not being cheap at all.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:55 pm 

Haha, but yay for new boots!