| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Toronto
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:06 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Is Karma worth joining? I mean in terms of price and quality of produce. I remember going there and working there when I was a kid, but haven't been in a long time. Since it's so close, I've considered it, but right now I only work two days a week, except when I can pick up another shift (preferably not an overnight!), so I don't have a lot of extra money.

Also, if you use nutritional yeast much, the best price I've found (though I haven't been to Kensington and Tutti Frutti and Essence of Life for ages, so they may be better) has been at Noah's on Yonge St (Charles St, not up at Eglinton). Something like $5.99/pound, though it may have gone up recently.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:21 pm 
Saggy Butt

well, i didn't join that long ago, but so far, i think it is! the prices are good - some things are just average, but some things are SO much cheaper than anywhere else that it's unreal. i think they have a standard markup across the board so things that other stores jack up the price of, they don't. it also means they don't have crazy sales, but they do have good prices in general. and not a bad bulk selection (nut butters, sunflower/olive oil, maple syrup (!!!), spices, flours, other stuff too but those i found especially nice). when i joined i split up my fee so i paid $88 (i think) split into 2 installments, and it seemed like they would be very open to breaking it down however you/anyone wanted or needed, which i appreciated. volunteering is only 2 hours a month, which isn't bad at all!
if you want to go in and do a shop/check stuff out to see if you like it, they do that too.

thanks also for the nutritional yeast heads up. i burn through it. loving all these tips so far! i forgot this was part of moving, having to figure all this stuff out in a new city. it's fun, but i want to know it all NOW, haha.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:35 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Thanks for the reminder. I was thinking of checking out Karma. I looked at their website, but the price comparison thing that I was looking at just confused me (any math to do with money I get bored and headache-y). I need to actually see it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:08 am 
So Totally Yiffy

So, that's 5 people plus me for vegan dinner club--MeShell, PeaBeeJay, chimrichalds, magnolia416, and SheDevil--plus a friend of mine (and perhaps her husband) as well.

If there are no objections, I think we should take this to email to discuss. PM me your email addresses and I'll get an email chain going!

I'm back in Toronto on December 1. And I can't wait! :)

My new online dating blog: http://oklavafish.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:09 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

@ chimrichalds
Panacea doesn't have the Mimicreme whipping stuff. It seems they haven't been able to get it for a few weeks, and they agreed that if that's the main purpose of your trip, definitely call first. He thought they'd definitely get it again in the next couple of weeks, but who knows. The company hasn't said why they aren't shipping. I would contact the company and find out where else they are selling, if you want to get this soon. This page on the website lists a couple of other places in Ontario, but not Panacea, so it obviously isn't up-to-date. Otherwise there's ordering online from Viva Granola or something.
http://www.mimiccreme.com/buy_stores.html

By the way, I have seen a couple of excellent reviews for the Mimicreme Healthy Top, one of which was on Amazon. The other was someone who is not actually dairy-free, who says she was blown away by it. I can't wait to try mine.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:00 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Graceful Vegetarian restaurant-Scarborough
4396 Steeles Ave E
Unit E8

Finally satisfied my craving for veggie dimsum after years and years. All I can say is YUMMMM!! Ordered hargow ('shrimp' dumpling), siu mai ('beef/shrimp' dumplings), sticky rice in lotus leaves, stuffed bean curd rolls umm and i don't remember what else. It was all delicious (sticky rice was a bit dry but still tasty). The service was awesome.
A bit hard to find as it's behind a mall right next door to pacific mall. Never would have found it if for the one man we asked (who told us he was vegetarian)... also need a car to get there.

http://www.yelp.ca/biz_photos/XQVqyQ1Ah ... 4qgk1Xx_-w
not my pictures but looks like a lot of what we ordered..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:39 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I miss dim sum so much. Thank you.

So, when you say difficult to find... It sounds like it's not reachable by TTC. I don't drive, but I'm not giving up on this dream, yet. And when I go, I plan to take home a lot of food, because I doubt I can get out there often.I cannot wait.

So the dinner club, was the plan not to start until January? I have recipes I want to test before Christmas, and thought it would be a great forum for that. Guess I'll have to try some contenders for next year's Christmas dinner on you guys.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:48 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

SheDevil wrote:
So the dinner club, was the plan not to start until January? I have recipes I want to test before Christmas, and thought it would be a great forum for that. Guess I'll have to try some contenders for next year's Christmas dinner on you guys.

I was going to get everyone's email and deciding things like that from there. But I only have 3 emails so far, and I'm still not back in Toronto yet. So we can discuss here for now! Is anyone interested in having a preliminary/casual vegan dinner club in December? Are people's calendars filling up, so it would depend on the date? Even if some people can't make it, we could at least start with those who can, so we can get to know each other better. I think it might be nice to have a casual gathering to get to know each other, before we have our first full-blown at-someone's-place dinner. But we could do that in January too, if people are busy. But what do you guys think?

My new online dating blog: http://oklavafish.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:12 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

My schedule hasn't filled much yet, but I do work weekends. If we meet on a weekend, I can always prepare something in advance, but would possibly need to heat from frozen or something. The only other thing is our work Holiday party on the 17th.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:36 pm 

SheDevil wrote:
I miss dim sum so much. Thank you.

So, when you say difficult to find... It sounds like it's not reachable by TTC. I don't drive, but I'm not giving up on this dream, yet. And when I go, I plan to take home a lot of food, because I doubt I can get out there often.I cannot wait.

yes i was really missing dim sum. king's cafe in kensington has a lot of frozen goods, but not at the same level.. definitely need a car unless you're living in scarborough. it's north of the 401 (steeles). pretty far. we had rented a car for my b-day weekend, and i took full advantage of it!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:20 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

evolvedtriangle wrote:
SheDevil wrote:

I was going to get everyone's email and deciding things like that from there. But I only have 3 emails so far, and I'm still not back in Toronto yet. So we can discuss here for now! Is anyone interested in having a preliminary/casual vegan dinner club in December? Are people's calendars filling up, so it would depend on the date? Even if some people can't make it, we could at least start with those who can, so we can get to know each other better. I think it might be nice to have a casual gathering to get to know each other, before we have our first full-blown at-someone's-place dinner. But we could do that in January too, if people are busy. But what do you guys think?

I'm going to be out of town for most of December (starting Dec 10), so I'd rather wait until January for a dinner club meet-up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:36 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Regarding the dinner club, I may have a contract job for something to be done by Christmas, so I guess I may be too busy in December after all. I should know Monday.

Also, chimrichalds, I just called Panacea and they have a the MimiCreme Healthy Top in again. I tried mine, and it was pretty good. It seemed to go a bit flat once it got warm and had to be re-beaten. I didn't use the whole container, but now that I know they have more in, I am going to treat myself and whip up the rest for my moccacino and some berries.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:32 pm 
Saggy Butt

SheDevil wrote:
Regarding the dinner club, I may have a contract job for something to be done by Christmas, so I guess I may be too busy in December after all. I should know Monday.

Also, chimrichalds, I just called Panacea and they have a the MimiCreme Healthy Top in again. I tried mine, and it was pretty good. It seemed to go a bit flat once it got warm and had to be re-beaten. I didn't use the whole container, but now that I know they have more in, I am going to treat myself and whip up the rest for my moccacino and some berries.

oh good!! my dad tracked some down for me at ambrosia in... newmarket maybe? and dropped it off <3 <3 i was planning on making it tonight but forgot until now. thanks for the reminder.

as for a casual-type-pre-dinner-club thing in december, i'd be interested! of course depending on the day and time, but i'm pretty open.

ALSO--- tva resource centre is having a book sale and pay what you can bake sale next saturday, december 18th from 1-4. if you're around and free... come! and eat baking. and say hi. i volunteer at the rc.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:29 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Headed to Toronto the week after Christmas, I haven't been in over a year. Is there anything new that I NEED to check out? Favourite places to shop? What is the best all-vegan fancy restaurant (we are going to have our anniversary dinner there)? So far all I can think of is Fressen for fancy.

Halp!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:30 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

If there are some new fancy pants vegan restaurants, I want to know about them, too. My mother and I always go to Vegetarian Haven for special events. Not fancy, I know, but a favourite. Haven't been to Fressen in ages.

Check out Panacea for their new stuff. They've added a lot of products lately. Also, the store itself has been rearranged. And their influence has spread. As people learn about new products becoming available, they also demand other places get them. Well, I'm guessing that's why in the area I can think of at least three places off the top of my head, that carry Daiya.

I would love to hear about any new places people have to recommend.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:56 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Also, I'd love to hear if anyone has tried this place:
Vegan Danish Pastry: http://www.vegandanishbakery.com/

Since they are in Thornhill, I'm not sure it's accessible by TTC. Love to know if it's worth getting a friend to drive me (I'd pay for the coffee and treats, of course!).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:21 am 

We are going to go to Vegetarian Haven for lunch one of the days we are there.
I guess Fressen it is for fancy! We want to get dressed up and go somewhere nice, and it's really the only all-vegan place I can think of like that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:58 pm 

There is now a Loving Hut opened up at Spadina and Richmond (west of spadina on the south side of richmond). I was going to go today, but a sign on the door said that they were closed due to ventilation problems :( Anyways. THere are a lot more options for vegans now in toronto these days besides expensive (and for me, not so great Fresh).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:57 pm 
Dildo Queen

paprikapapaya wrote:
We are going to go to Vegetarian Haven for lunch one of the days we are there.
I guess Fressen it is for fancy! We want to get dressed up and go somewhere nice, and it's really the only all-vegan place I can think of like that.

vegetarian haven is amazing. the waitresses were so friendly and helpful, and the food was delicious and affordable. also, their dessert - i think we got the brownie banana split or something - was AMAZING.
fressen only offers one dessert! and their menu has chnaged, not for the better, in my opinion :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:03 pm 
Dildo Queen

oh, sorry
i'm sorry i didn't catch your earlier post. yeah veghaven isn't fancy.
fressen is nice and romantic. :) i was disappointed that they'd gotten rid of so many of their awesome tapas.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:16 pm 

We had a great meal at Fressen! After reading some reviews online about the staff being snooty, the food not being that great, etc...we had a great experience! The staff were lovely to us, very attentive. The food was really good and plated beautifully. Bonus, I spotted PPKer biorobotics across the restaurant but wasn't 100% sure if it was them so I didn't say hi. All in all, it was good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:18 pm 

Oh, and urban herbivore was great as always. We went there for sammiches while we were in kensington, we split a BBQ Tofu one and a somethingorother tempeh one. So freaking good. And we brought some of their muffins home to London, I recommend the sweet potato-date one. So good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:59 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

paprikapapaya wrote:
And we brought some of their muffins home to London, I recommend the sweet potato-date one. So good.

I refer to those as the Head-sized Muffins. Man, I really miss Urban Herbivore's sandwiches.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:22 pm 

Sorry to do this here, but it is a toronto based company.. A friend and I started a vegan baking (and catering) business this past summer in Toronto. We are a vegan/Ital business. On FB you can find us under "Omega Creations."
We began by holding a lot of outdoor bake sales from April-October. Now we've expanded into the mail order side of things, and are setting up a menu + pictures this week.
Check us out on FB.. We're still working on things, but you can at least get a bit of an idea of what we're doing. Thank you!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:22 pm 
Tofu Pup

Panacea is the only health food store I shop at!

As a side note, I am looking for a veg roommate for February 1st so if you, or anyone you know, is in need please forward them to me!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next