| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Toronto
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:27 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

annamal wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:
Is anyone signing up for the Toronto Walk for Farm Animals on Sept 29th? I did the one in San Francisco last year, it was a pretty good time.

I'm not sure yet. Maybe? I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I adore Farm Sanctuary, because obviously. On the other hand, I feel for the local farm sanctuaries that struggle to make ends meet and to the extent that I'm fundraising for sanctuaries I feel a sense of loyalty towards them.

Also, there's only so much hitting up of family and friends for donations one can do, so I want to choose my campaigns strategically. There's so little work being done in Canada for animals, relative to the US, and I worry that if Canadians aren't funding campaigns for animals in Canada, nobody is.

So that is my long answer as to why I might but probably won't sign up for the walk, despite loving Farm Sanctuary, farm animals, and walking.

What do others think about this?

Just curious because I'm new to the area: what are some of the local farm sanctuaries? I've been looking for some local places to volunteer since moving here. I've reached out to like 3 cat rescue organizations and they all say they are interested/need volunteers, but then they never get back to me. I understand these are busy volunteers, but it gets frustrating after awhile.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:16 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

The closest farm sanctuary one (to my knowledge) is Cedar Row near Stratford. It'd probably be an hour and a half drive, though, but there's often Toronto people there who would probably carpool. That's the one I volunteer at! It's great and there's always a massive vegan potluck at the end of work visits.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:48 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I love Cedar Row as well! Snooters is also wonderful, and they periodically have both open houses and volunteer days. Wishing Well is new, a beautiful spot, and they're going to start offering visits later in the summer for a small donation. Then there are the specialized sanctuaries - in the region, there's a primate sanctuary (Storybook), and donkey sanctuary, and a pig sanctuary.

As for volunteering more generally, I love the TVA and volunteer with them in a variety of capacities quite frequently.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:42 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

The donkey sanctuary in Guelph is a wonderful place! I think they are open to visitors on wednesday and sunday...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:20 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

PPK Toronto people, I'm coming to Toronto the first weekend in october. I'll be spending most of it at a Supernatural convention in some airport hotel, but I'm hoping to at least get out and walk around for a couple hours on one of the days. Any favorite restaurants to grab food at or places I should see? Should i eat lunch with one of you?? (All I know right now is that I'm coming)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:14 pm 

I would totally meet up with you for lunch but my parents are going to be in town visiting for Canadian Thanksgiving, boo!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:42 am 
WELFARIST!

I'd love to meet up too but since it's Canadian Tanksgiving, I'll likely be tied up with family cookin' that weekend. But post around the time you're coming and maybe we can meet Saturday for lunch!

I'm terrible for recommending restaurants because I don't eat out all that much, but I've had some lovely raw meals at Live (near Dupont subway station). Veg Haven (on Baldwin Street, right beside the Toronto Veg Association headquarters) is nice as well. I've enjoyed a tofu scramble and homefries brunch at Fressen in the past and sometimes, when I'm downtown, I'll stop at Fresh for a veggie burger and fries if I'm in a 'hood where a Fresh restaurant is.

I think (hope) a lot of the Toronto PPKers will unite at the Veg Food Fest this September. According to my latest TVA newsletter, Isa and Terry will be demoing at the festival this year. I'll be there with my PPK shirt on to cheer them on and hopefully will meet up with other PPKers then!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:46 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

seitanicverses wrote:
I'd love to meet up too but since it's Canadian Tanksgiving, I'll likely be tied up with family cookin' that weekend. But post around the time you're coming and maybe we can meet Saturday for lunch!

I'm terrible for recommending restaurants because I don't eat out all that much, but I've had some lovely raw meals at Live (near Dupont subway station). Veg Haven (on Baldwin Street, right beside the Toronto Veg Association headquarters) is nice as well. I've enjoyed a tofu scramble and homefries brunch at Fressen in the past and sometimes, when I'm downtown, I'll stop at Fresh for a veggie burger and fries if I'm in a 'hood where a Fresh restaurant is.

I think (hope) a lot of the Toronto PPKers will unite at the Veg Food Fest this September. According to my latest TVA newsletter, Isa and Terry will be demoing at the festival this year. I'll be there with my PPK shirt on to cheer them on and hopefully will meet up with other PPKers then!!!

Lobsteriffic, Seitanicverses I had no idea it was Canadian Thanksgiving! Oops! Well, I will certainly post closer to when I'm getting there about timing and stuff. Well, I'm still looking forward to seeing Toronto! I'm sure it's pretty awesome already. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:48 am 

seitanicverses wrote:

Yes! So stoked to see Isa demo, watching Terry demo last year was fantastic. Those of you who don't yet have PPK shirts - get one! We need to represent in full force. <3 Maybe we could all arrange to also meet at a certain spot at a certain time, so instead of just casually meeting everyone while walking around, we could also see everyone who's there and maybe get a group photo! I wouldn't miss VegFest for anything!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:49 am 
Inflexitarian

Hmm.. I was thinking of signing up for the Toronto Island Run, and I just realized that is on Sept 9th which overlaps with the Veg Food Fest... Which day would PPK meetup type things be occuring?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:21 am 
WELFARIST!

Hmmm...not sure yet. I don't know if Isa and Terry are demoing both Sat and Sunday, but I definitely want to attend whatever day they're there if it happens to be just one or t'other. I guess I'll wait to see when everyone else is available to meet up, sort of thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:19 am 

I just wanted to say that I just received my PPK shirt in the mail. I bought it just for Toronto Veg Fest!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:02 pm 

I'll be there on the Saturday! Which I think is the 8th.
I don't plan on attending any other days, unless of course Isa's demo is some weird time on a Sunday or whatever, but usually the "big" demos are on the Saturday.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:58 pm 
Inflexitarian

paprikapapaya wrote:
I'll be there on the Saturday! Which I think is the 8th.
I don't plan on attending any other days, unless of course Isa's demo is some weird time on a Sunday or whatever, but usually the "big" demos are on the Saturday.

Hmm. Maybe I'll just bank on this. The run is on the Sunday, and it's in the morning anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:32 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I don't have a ppk shirt, but I'll be there as well (the demo). Another fab author who's going to be at the veg fest is Taymer Mason (Caribbean Vegan fame-that was me who got her to come!! I'm bragging cause i'm excited!)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:34 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

oh! I got my certified kitchen (big one) to cook from (finally), and am now getting insured to sell from stores. More vegan baked goods in Toronto :) I'll keep you all updated on where/when you can find my goodies! nadia (omega creations and/or nadia fresolone on facebook)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:39 am 

mamatafari wrote:
I don't have a ppk shirt, but I'll be there as well (the demo). Another fab author who's going to be at the veg fest is Taymer Mason (Caribbean Vegan fame-that was me who got her to come!! I'm bragging cause i'm excited!)

Holy shiitake! NO WAY! I love Taymer. I just got giddy from excitement!
I might have to make my trip to Toronto an overnight one so I can catch all of the demos!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:32 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

The schedule for the Food Fest is up!

http://festival.veg.ca/schedule/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:53 am 

Yay!!! I think I need to go both Sat and Sun so I can see both Isa and Terry, in true PPK-stalker fashion.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:20 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

The schedule doesn't say what Isa's cooking demo is going to be.

Quote:
4:00pm – Isa Moskowitz

Are we just going to bask in her presence?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:26 am 
WELFARIST!

PeaBeeJay wrote:

Quote:

That's enough for me!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:06 pm 

seitanicverses wrote:
PeaBeeJay wrote:

Quote:

That's enough for me!

Me too! Who needs a demo when we can just sit and stare at her in awe?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:07 pm 
Inflexitarian

Anybody here have a truck or a van or something? I'm moving to a new place September 1st and am trying to figure out how I'm going to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:45 pm 

I don't have a vehicle, but if you can't find one U-haul rents out cargo vans and pick up trucks for $19.95 plus $0.49 a km or something like that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:06 pm 
Inflexitarian

Full disclosure: The biggest vehicle I've driven is a car and the busiest roads I've driven on were Saint John, New Brunswick. That was over a year ago. If I need to get a u-haul or something it would work but the idea scares me shiitake-less.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 28  Next