| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: [Seattle] Dining Guide
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:03 pm 
Tofu Pup

Eudemonia, you'll be very close to the South Lake Union Whole Foods on Denny & Westlake. Since you don't mind a good walk up Capitol Hill, I believe Plum Bistro labels their soy-free options on the menu. If you don't mind taking a bus (the stop's adjacent to Whole Foods on Denny) take the 8 to Madison & 27th and walk a couple of blocks down Madison to Cafe Flora, which labels its soy-free options. I wish I had more suggestions! My BF was eating soy-free last year and it was easy at home, but tough when we wanted to go out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:04 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Thanks, I think I'll just make a stop at whole foods to stock up on a few emergency rations when I get there (now that I know how to find a grocery store haha). It's easier to be soy-free here in Canada because hardly anyone tends to fry in soybean oil - it's all canola. It seems that south of the border you guys use a lot of soybean oil so I can't even go to the pub and eat fries for dinner. I've managed a few trips before but generally end up being hangry for most of my visit. I was also hoping to find a nicer restaurant that I could eat at as my boyfriend wants to take his friend out for dinner. Might just have to tell him to do that on a night I'm not there.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:47 pm 
Dead by dawn

If you find yourself in the greater Crown Hill/Greenwood/Northgate area and are looking for food, The Alibi Room has a yummy vegan "pizza" on the menu. It's located behind the Jiffy Lube where Holman Rd crosses Greenwood and become 105th, in the unlikeliest spot for a bar/restaurant with a decent little menu. I call it "pizza" because it's vegan pesto, chickpeas, red onion, and kalamatas finished with a balsamic reduction, so it's not going to hit the spot if you're actually craving pizza but it was really good! They also have a sundried tomato/olive tapenade with foccacia so you can skip the marginal hummus plate (it's white bean hummus with no tahini, not great.)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I dunno how I haven't mentioned this yet, but Cafe Turko in Fremont is super vegan friendly Turkish food and it is so good. I eat there at least once a month since I work around the corner.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:07 pm 
Grandfathered In

Thanks—just added it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:04 pm 
Hail Seitan!

I'll be visiting at the end of the month and am looking forward to some legit Thai food. Has anybody had any good experiences eating vegan at non-vegan specific Thai restaurants? Mai Thaiku in the Phinney Ridge neighborhood particularly piqued my interest with their delicious and vegetarian-friendly sounding menu.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:54 pm 
Dead by dawn

I have not been to Mai Thaiku. If you end up there you'll have to leave us (well me, anyway!) a review. I go to Thai Siam in Crown Hill a fair amount. They are really nice people and they are on the ball about fish sauce, etc... concerns.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:43 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Mai Thaiku is NOT veg-friendly, especially compared to the abundance of Thai restaurants in Seattle.

I went there a couple weeks ago. Few of their dishes can be modified to be veg-friendly (no substituting tofu for prawns....huh?), and their servings are very small.
It was definitely not worth the price, especially when there are so many choices around. The appetizer we got was good (but not at all what we were expecting), but my pad see ew was oily and bland. My friend's salad was pretty tasty, but very small.

Thai Siam is so much better, listen to mtoes!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:30 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Have you guys been to jhanjay Thai? Used to be (?still) all vegetarian and were very accommodating. And tasty!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:41 am 
Dead by dawn

Yes, I love Jhanjay. The garlic & black pepper stir fry is my favorite.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:57 am 
Hail Seitan!

Thank you all for your recommendations, I will skip Mai Thaiku then!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:16 am 
Hail Seitan!

One more question, Seattle folks! I just noticed the note next to Highline Bar that the kitchen closed back in 2013. I was counting on them for late night dinner when I arrive on a Wednesday at 10pm. Is there any other places open after 10 on a Wednesday night that offer tasty food? I will be staying either in Ballard, Wallingford or Minor area (can't make up my mind!) and will have a rental car if that helps. Thanks!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Po Dog in Ballard has field roast dogs and is open until 2:00 a.m.!
I think El Chupacabra in Phinney (it's right next door to Mai Thaiku) serves food until eleven, and they have excellent burritos and tacos.

Other than that... we aren't really an 'open late' kind of city. All my Californian friends never let me live it down.

eta: worst case scenario, there are some diners open late- Roxy's in Green Lake area ish and Hurricane Cafe in South Lake Union area...oh, and there are some vegan options at The 5 Point in Belltown.

Oh! And Sinbad Gyros in Fremont are open until 1:00 a.m.! And it's very tasty and the guys that work there are super nice and have assured me multiple times the falafel is vegan.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:21 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

There's also Alibi Room in Greenwood. They have a vegan pizza (and maybe some other vegan options?) and they're open until 2 a.m. I think.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:46 pm 
Saggy Butt

And Aladdin Falafel Corner in the U-District is open until 2. Beth's Cafe on Aurora never closes and they have a Boca burger and vegan chili (and possibly a vegan sausage and biscuits & gravy?), and El Borracho in Ballard serves food until 1 and they have crazy-good nachos, tacos, and burritos.

The Hurricane, sadly, is closed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:56 pm 
Dead by dawn

+1 for El Borracho! Also, Georgetown Liquor is kind of out of your way but I assume that they serve food late. I guess i haven't been there late enough to test that theory so don't take my word for it. But... Picard... drool.

Also, whoa. I had not idea Beth's was at all vegan friendly.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:43 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

veganchubosaurus wrote:
And Aladdin Falafel Corner in the U-District is open until 2. Beth's Cafe on Aurora never closes and they have a Boca burger and vegan chili (and possibly a vegan sausage and biscuits & gravy?), and El Borracho in Ballard serves food until 1 and they have crazy-good nachos, tacos, and burritos.

The Hurricane, sadly, is closed.

I totally meant Beth's and I have no idea why I wrote Roxy's instead. Roxy's is not all that veg friendly and they close early and their service is crepe. A waitress lied to me about what veg sausages they used and what the ingredients were. When I called her out on it, she said, "It's not meat; what's it matter?" ...

Also, another vote on El Borracho, too...though I prefer the chup if you can make it before their kitchen closes.
Aladdin's is tasty, but they only take cash or have some weird rule about cash and cards...it's been a while since I've been there, so my memory is hazy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:18 pm 
Hail Seitan!

My Seattle/Portland trip came and went and here is a round-up of all the places I ended up in Seattle:

El Borracho - I got one of each vegan taco (there are 3 of them) - they were pretty good. The potato/poblano one was disappointingly bland, as were the mushrooms in the mushroom tacos. But I was hungry and it was late, so it was great!
Wayward - I ate here every day. It was incredible. I wish every city had a Wayward Cafe in it. The new location is nice and spacious. I ordered off all 3 menus and everything was tasty. Biscuits and gravy with fried chkn seitan steak!! So good!
Araya's - I liked this place a lot, the food was good and any place with vegan Thai iced tea/coffee is a winner.
Plum Bistro - I went here for lunch once, I got the reuben. It was okay.
Veggie Grille - NACHOS!
Chu Minh Tofu - AMAZING! I got a tofu and spicy pork bahn mi and the owner let us try things from the hot buffet bar. Nicest person ever!! We asked if we could buy things by the pound from the bar and she hooked us up amply. She said she makes the mock meats herself, and if so, she is a wizard. There was this layered yuba skin thing that I am still dreaming about.
Jhanjay - I got take out from here and it was pretty good. I got Pad Thai, not bad!
Mighty-Os - mandatory.

You guys need a vegan totally-gluten bakery!! I was dying for some pastry and always fell short!! I stopped at Violet Sweet Shoppe at their new location, apparently at a bad time because they currently aren't offering any baked goods right now. Oh well, I completely overdid it at Sweetpea and Back to Eden in Portland anyway. Thanks for the nice time, Seattle!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:12 am 
Saggy Butt

Yeah, Violet Sweet Shoppe's bakery got booted because the building's being torn down. She's looking for a new space, but it's slow going. She was supposed to start stocking baked goods at the candy store on Sunday, but I'm not sure if she has. It took a bit for her to find a commercial kitchen and get going in a new space. But soon, if not already - although that doesn't help you now!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:03 am 
Grandfathered In

Don't forget about Brown Sugar Baking!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:06 pm 
Saggy Butt

Brown Sugar Baking's stuff is also really good (those pop tarts and cinnamon rolls!), but she doesn't have a storefront right now, either. She sells at Central Co-op and farmers markets, but even Urban Buggy (her husband's deli, next door) is closed/closing now. Although she is having an in-bakery pop-up on the 12th!

There were tarts at VSH's candy shop yesterday.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:56 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'm so excited to start eating at these places! I had a mighty o donut at whole foods, so that was a start

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:29 pm 
Grandfathered In

veganchubosaurus wrote:
Brown Sugar Baking's stuff is also really good (those pop tarts and cinnamon rolls!), but she doesn't have a storefront right now, either. She sells at Central Co-op and farmers markets, but even Urban Buggy (her husband's deli, next door) is closed/closing now. Although she is having an in-bakery pop-up on the 12th!

The new Urban Buggy storefront is closing? On Rainier?

Drag.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:06 pm 
Saggy Butt

FootFace wrote:
veganchubosaurus wrote:

The new Urban Buggy storefront is closing? On Rainier?

Drag.

The website says "Urban Buggy will close permanently as a deli". I don't know when that was originally posted, but it's been that way for at least month, and there's no menu posted anymore. Their Facebook page hasn't been updated since November. Big time sadface.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:47 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I ate at Teapot Vegetarian House in Redmond last night. It was good! They don't use onion or garlic, which is awesome for me since I can't eat onions and everything is vegan. We had sizzling rice soup, Mandarin crispy tofu and spicy string beans. I'll definitely go back and try more stuff from here. I was curious about the tofu cheesecake, but they were all out so I didn't get to try it.

http://www.teapotvegetarianhouse.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next