| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: vegan Seattle
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:29 pm 
Grandfathered In

Did anyone mention Cafe Flora? Fancy-ish. Good. Some vegan stuff.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:46 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

LazySmurf wrote:
I really thought you guys had more fine dining places! I guess I didn't know what I was talking about! Sutra looks really good.

We were thinking of staying at the city hostel which is downtown. I am actually coming just Monday and Tuesday (July 9 & 10) which is pretty weird but I'm coming up for a friend's pre wedding party in Portland that weekend. So sadly no Sunday breakfast even though brunch with PPKers is my most favorite thing. It's going to be a whirlwind trip!

There are a ton, but they're all omni. Basically any seasonal menu place will be veg-friendly, though.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:27 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

FootFace wrote:

Dumplings... Hmmm... Maybe Bamboo Garden (near Seattle Center)? Or Teapot (Capitol Hill)?

Teapot on Capitol Hill is closed. Sadface. But for dumplings, I recommend Northwest Tofu on 19th and Jackson. They have lots and lots of vegan stuff...just ask, they are very friendly. I also recommend the salt and pepper tofu there, and the green onion pancakes.

Another dumpling option is Samurai Noodle. They have locations in Capitol Hill, U District, and International District. They have an awesome happy hour where you can get one appetizer (one of the vegan options is dumplings), a beer or sake, and a serving of edamame for $5.

In The Bowl is a yummy vegetarian noodle place in Capitol Hill and has dumplings. I can't vouch for the dumplings but everything else is yum.

And Bamboo Garden.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:29 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Does Plum count as fine dining?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:13 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Green onion pancakes sounds amazing! Our trip keeps getting shorter and shorter, I want a week in Seattle!

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:33 am 
Grandfathered In

And for you locals, Northwest Tofu has crazy-cheap tofu. Like, I mean, to buy as an ingredient, not as part of a prepared dish.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:44 am 
Tofu Pup

Bumpin this very awesome post, so I can introduce myself! I just moved here with my family from Santa Rosa, California. Right now we're in Redmond but thinking of exploring more of Bainbridge Island, Sammamish, Issaquah and some others. We have 2 young children, so schools are definitely important.

I'm really interested in how easy it is to live on Bainbridge as a vegan. I kind of rely on a mix of Whole Foods / QFC / PCC / Target, and some online stores for my typical staples... lots of Gardein :O, and I burn through Parma like I have a case of it in the pantry. I haven't found too many places around here that carry the vegan Follow Your Heart salad dressings, but we found some at Vegan Haven. Are the grocery stores on Bainbridge vegan-friendly at all, and how supportive are the shopping destinations in Poulsbo and Silverdale?

A BI meetup sounds awesome...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:09 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hey! I live on Bainbridge and I think it's very easy to grocery shop as a vegan here (eating out is a little less exciting, but there are options). There are two grocery stores on the island - a large Safeway that carries a good amount of vegan products (Gardein, Daiya, Field Roast, etc) and Town & Country, which also has a lot of that stuff and a good bulk section. Both have good produce. There's also a farmer's market April through October with lots of island-grown produce.

Central Market in Poulsbo is owned by the same people as T&C and is probably the closest thing on this side to a WF. I actually almost prefer it to WF because I can get "regular" stuff at the same time and I think their bulk section is way better. No Mighty-O's in the bakery case, though. There's a Costco and a TJ's in Silverdale (about a 30 minute drive). It's a good Costco, food-wise - Gardein, Field Roast sausages, etc.

I make sporadic trips to Sidecar (aka Vegan Haven) or order online for the harder to find stuff. Like, I don't think any of the stores here have Parma (CM might, actually - I don't use it so I've never looked!).

I have two kids, too, but they're not in school yet. But the schools on the island have a great reputation and that's part of why we moved here.

We really love it here and if you ever want to check it out and do a meet up, I'm down!

Last edited by Pinko on Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:10 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oh, there's also a health food store downtown that I've only gone in a couple times. It's mostly supplements, but they do have some vegan food items.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

It's to late to edit and probably no one cares, but the farmer's market is April through December. I don't know why I said October. Anyway!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:42 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Pinko, I didn't know you were on Bainbridge! I used to live there when I was a wee one and my folks owned the apartments right by the ferry. We used to go back and visit friends a lot, but haven't in years. That TnC is special to me :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:45 pm 
Tofu Pup

Pinko wrote:
I have two kids, too, but they're not in school yet. But the schools on the island have a great reputation and that's part of why we moved here.

We really love it here and if you ever want to check it out and do a meet up, I'm down!

Our kids are young also, still a couple years away from school. Do you know how the Bainbridge schools compare to the Eastside schools? We really like the Sammamish area also, and I want to make sure we give opportunities to the kids in terms of arts and technology. I was pretty active in choirs through high school and college, and it sounds like our son is going to be a singer too.

I think we're doing a big exploration day tomorrow, and might look at some houses that are on the market. Do you have recommendations of family-friendly, walkable neighborhoods to check out?

A meetup sounds really fun. I've only been to one tech-oriented meetup in downtown so far but we've only been here for a couple months. If we do end up on Bainbridge, are there any veg-friendly omni restaurants there? I really really really want to try Emmy's, but it's closed tomorrow :(

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I don't know how island schools compare to those other areas. Anecdotally, I've met a lot of people who moved over from Seattle so their kids could go to school here. But I'm sure there are plenty of great schools in all the areas you're considering. There is a pretty active, cool-seeming musical theatre/choir group (called Ovation!) that I see at community events but I don't think it's affiliated with any school.

Hm. The whole island is what I'd call family-friendly, but if by walkable you mean being able to walk to things like stores or whatever that's something you only really have close to downtown (so Winslow/Wing Point/Island Center areas) and to a lesser extent in Lynwood Center. The rest of the island is pretty rural/residential. But if you just mean being able to take walks, then that's pretty much everywhere. We live kind of kitty corner to the Grand Forest and take lots of great woodsy walks.

We don't eat out a ton here (just because if we're going to eat out, we'd rather go to one of our favorite Seattle spots, ha) but you can find at least something at a lot of the omni places. Fork & Spoon downtown has a few easily modified things. Sawatdy and Sawan (both Thai places) can make vegan stuff. Spice Route (Indian) has some stuff, but I don't think it's that good. The sauce and crust at That's-A-Some Pizza are vegan, so you can get cheeseless pizza there. Streamliner Diner has a tofu scramble. That kind of thing. But yeah, Emmy's is great!

tofucheez wrote:
Pinko, I didn't know you were on Bainbridge! I used to live there when I was a wee one and my folks owned the apartments right by the ferry. We used to go back and visit friends a lot, but haven't in years. That TnC is special to me :)

Neat! T&C is undergoing a big remodel right now. I hope it doesn't lose ALL it's funkiness.

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3