| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: public transport
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:36 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

how easy is public transport in seattle?
is there a subway? is it buses?

my friend and i will be in town for a night to go to a show at Neptune Theatre and im looking at an apartment to rent for the night in the Ravenna/Bryant area.
we will have a car but unless Neptune Theatre has it's own parking lot i dont want to try and drive around a strange city looking for a parking spot.
it's only 2ish miles (i dont have the exact address of the apartment im looking on VRBO.com) would that area be safe for 2 ladies to walk late at night?

Post subject: Re: public transport
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:52 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

http://metro.kingcounty.gov/maps/

http://m.soundtransit.org/schedules#40_100479

Non-Seattle-ite here, but I have visited a number of times for work & play (and I don't drive, so rely on public transit). There is a lightrail from the airport. I would recommend attempting to grab one of the rolly carts if you have a bit of luggage, it's a walk through the parking garage area from the airport to the actual lightrail stop. I'm not familiar with the area you're thinking of staying in, but I've never had issues taking buses to various neighborhoods.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:06 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

perfect thank you! i will take a look at that!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:10 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I haven't lived in Seattle since 2000 but I walked around Ravenna/Bryant at night when I was in high school and it was fine. I'd probably walk from Ravenna/Bryant to or from the Neptune now. There are quite a few buses that go from Ravenna/Bryant to the University District so the bus should work. It also might not be too spendy for a cab ride home since it isn't super far (I don't usually take cabs though so I could be wrong about that). Also, parking in the University District isn't super terrible (I'd rather park there than downtown Seattle), what kind of a day is the show? Weekend? Weekday?

Unrelated to your bus question, but eat at Wayward while you're in Seattle. It's an all vegan diner style restaurant on 65th and 8th. I go there pretty much every time I'm in Seattle for pancakes, tofu scram, sausage, ham, and hashbrowns (the lumberjack!). They also have lunch things but I usually go for breakfast because I can't get a vegan pancake in the city I live in now unless I make it myself or convince my guy to make me pancakes.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:01 pm 
Grandfathered In

Bryant is very close to the U-district, where the Neptune is. (Around a mile and a half.) And several bus routes are a possibility. They'd probably take around 25 minutes.

Longer, less relevant answer: Seattle has a light rail system (some parts belowground, some parts elevated, some parts surface level) that is still quite small and not necessarily all that useful. Two new stations are opening next week, and the plan is to continue expanding. Come back in 20 years, and it might be awesome. For now, count on taking the bus.

(Get the OneBusAway app for easy navigating and accurate-ish info about when your bus will actually get to the stop.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:18 pm 
Dead by dawn

Yes to the one bus away app. I would feel safe walking that area with a pal but the bus shouldn't be too much of a hassle. Also, definitely go to Wayward! You can drive there; it's right across from a park & ride lot under the freeway and there's usually ample parking (like maybe not in the middle of a weekday when commuters are using that lot... I dunno.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:42 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

You could also Uber it if you're feeling at all unsafe. A 2 mile ride would be relatively cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:43 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

that's a good point! that actually might be the easiest thing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:18 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

If the shows on a Saturday, you could park on campus for free after 12pm, or if it's on a weekday after 5pm it's only $5. Then you can drive yourself. The Neptune theater is only like 3 blocks from the main campus entrance for UW (45th and 17th). The Neptune is on 45th just passed University Way if I'm remembering correctly, so it would be a super quick walk and you wouldn't have to worry about anything.

Uber or the bus would be quick and easy too though!