| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Restaurant Suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:33 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

My family started eating Vegan on January 7th and haven't looked back. We used to go out to eat a lot but generally try to avoid it now because there are limited options and its still overwhelming trying to figure out what we can and can't eat besides the obvious.

We live near Seattle and I was thinking it would be nice to go for brunch there some weekend. I'm wondering if you could suggest a good place to eat that would have several vegan options. Bonus if it has pancakes or waffles for my daughter.

Also, family will be visiting soon and it will give my husband and I the opportunity to go out to dinner without the kids for once and so I'm wondering what Vegan restaurant in Seattle you would pick for your first experience? I'm looking for something a little more fancy then a sandwich/pizza place but not too fancy that we can't get away with wearing jeans and a nice top in.

And lastly, this may seem like a weird question and probably something I don't have to worry about but I'm wondering if I'm going to get judged for wearing leather shoes? My shoes are practically brand new and its not in our budget to just buy new shoes now. I hesitate to even call myself vegan because I'm still in the transition phase. My diet is 100% vegan but I'm sure not all my clothes/personal products are. I will be making better decisions when its time to replace clothes/shoes/personal care products. Anyways, I'm just hoping the atmosphere will be welcoming regardless of the shoes. It would be nice to go out to eat again and support local vegan restaurants/stores.

I appreciate your help. :)

Post subject: Re: Restaurant Suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:15 am 
Dead by dawn

Hi tulip! There's a "Seattle Dining Guide" thread here in the Seattle Forum. It's not super comprehensive, but check it out for more suggestions.

For breakfast or brunch, there's Wayward and Chaco Canyon. There are some omni restaurants that have good vegan options, like Blue Star and the 5 Point, but I don't know that either has vegan pancakes or waffles (and the latter is a dive bar anyway, so...) As for your date-night dinner, there are a lot of options. What kind of food do you like?

No one whose opinion matters is going to judge you for your shoes. I've been vegan for 5.5 years and I still have a leather wallet in my purse. I used to feel self conscious pulling it out at vegan places, but no one has ever so much as looked at me sideways. It's at least 10 years old, in perfectly good shape and there's just no reason to replace it until it's no longer functional even though there are some lovely ones that I covet at Sidecar.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:12 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Thanks for your response. I'm glad to hear I won't get the evil eye for my shoes. This makes me feel more comfortable.

Wayward's looks awesome!! Exactly what I was looking for. We used to love going to places like IHOP for breakfast and its nice to know that I can still have that option. My only problem would be deciding what to order. :)

I'll check out the thread on Seattle dining but hoping to hear about people's favorites. I like all kinds of food but lean towards Thai, Italian, Mediterranean and Mexican. We eat Mexican at least once a week at home, same with pasta. I'm new to eating things like tofu and tempeh so it would be nice to try it in a restaurant to see if I'm actually cooking it properly. I mean it tastes good, but who knows.

Checked out Sidecar, looks like a good place to visit. Those artisan nut cheeses look good.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:16 am 
Grandfathered In

Thai: Araya's (U District) is vegan and great; Jhanjay (one in Wallingford, one in Ballard) is vegetarian, but very vegan-friendly, and great.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:54 am 
Dead by dawn

Yeah, Thai's easy. Italian, not so much. I really don't ever purposely go out for Italian... any place that's trying to be good uses fresh pasta (eggs) and, honestly if a place uses dry pasta, I'm probably paying way too much for something I can make dirt cheap at home. Plus, cheese. There are a few options for Mexican. El Chupacabra in Phinney Ridge has gardein chicken and beef, and daiya, which you can substitute into pretty much everything; it's loud in there and their schtick is supposed to be rude service (though I've always had perfectly nice servers) so it's not everyone's thing. Mexico in Pacific Place is upscale for a mall place and has a vegan menu that you just have to ask for. It's pretty good, their salsa is yummy. And there's a new place in the market that's supposed to have a bunch of vegan options but I don't know anything about it. Falling into the none-of-the-above category, but good and nice enough for a date night, is Plum Bistro on Capital Hill.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:50 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Thank you, Araya caught my eye and so did Plum Bistro. I think we will do both.

I've yet to try imitation meats and cheeses. I wanted to wait until enough time passed since I had the real thing. But I think I'm ready for it now, especially since I made a nacho cheese the other day that was so good and I think it would fool people. I have high hopes that a vegan boca patty at a restaurant will satisfy my craving for a burger. That's the only thing I miss, burgers were my favorite food. I've tried a lot of homemade vegan burgers and none come close. So El Chupacabra sounds interesting, I could get some gardein fajitas.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:49 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I know you said no pizza places, but Razzi's Pizzeria is pretty terrific. It is more of a sit down Italian style place than a carryout place like Papa Johns. They have an entire menu that is all vegan- in addition to pizza they have pasta, "real" salads, paninis and even stuff like chicken parm and desserts too. The marinara sauce that comes with the mozzarella sticks is amazing. I usually end up using the last stick to spoon up everything left in the dish.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:52 am 
Dead by dawn

Hmm... Razzi's is right near me but I've never tried it. I knew they had vegan cheese for pizza but not a whole menu. I might have to take back what I said about going out for Italian... :)

The first time I went to Plum I had a seitan burger, which was really good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:17 pm 
Grandfathered In

Razzi's is good. There's also Turnpike Pizza.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:19 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Now I'm hungry, all those places sound great. I never thought I'd have things like chicken parm again.

In terms of bakeries, has anyone had a cake from the Flying Apron? My son's first birthday is coming up and we are doing a cake smash with him. The cake doesn't need to a be a masterpiece but good enough to be photographed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:39 pm 
Nailed to the V

I second Arayas. In the Bowl is my favorite Seattle food.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

tulip wrote:
In terms of bakeries, has anyone had a cake from the Flying Apron? My son's first birthday is coming up and we are doing a cake smash with him. The cake doesn't need to a be a masterpiece but good enough to be photographed.

I've never ordered a cake from Flying Apron, but any of their stuff I've tried has been pretty meh (maybe I just got the wrong stuff, but I kind of don't think so). Where are you guys? Corina in Tacoma does nice cakes. Also, I live on Bainbridge Island and I do a lot of baking for friends and have made lots of kids birthday cakes. I'm not a professional, but if you're interested I could probably do a cake for you and get it to you.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:22 am 
So Totally Yiffy

tulip wrote:

I sampled a few pieces from Flying Apron when I was looking for my wedding cake. It was alright, as were the cakes you can order from Whole Foods. I actually ended up getting my wedding cake from PCC. They usually care a few vegan options in the store, but you can also special order them, so you can be sure to get the kind you want. (http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/produc ... /index.php) I think it was a bit more to special order it, but they will decorate it extra than the ones you just pick up. We got a few different rounds so people could pick their favorite flavor and everyone raved about them. They also have vegan cupcakes and mini cupcakes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:07 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Pinko, thanks for the offer but I'm not sure it would work. We live in Issaquah so I'm thinking that's pretty far from Bainbridge? I've been in the Seattle area for 5 years now and I've yet to been to any of the islands.

Thanks for your honesty on the Flying Apron. I'll pass on them. I didn't realize PCC had so many options. We need cupcakes for his actual birthday so I will get them from there. The cake for his cake smash is all of him to destroy.

I'm so happy I found this forum and excited to have all these great restaurant suggestions. I've missed being able to just go out for dinner and not have to stress about it.