| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Visiting Washington in July! Can I visit you?
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:00 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

This summer I will be on a road trip with my partner (elahrairah13 on here) and 6 year old daughter.

We will be camping, staying with friends, and couchsurfing.

And it occurred to us that it might be fun to see if any ppkers want to be couchsurfing hosts for us. Neither of us is extremely active on here these days, but we know some names, and even if we don't know each other, we'll have the vegan thing in common, and it could be fun.

We're pretty much only ever looking to stay for one night. We like meeting new people, and like talking and swapping stories of life and adventures over a meal.
We generally arrive in the late afternoon and hit the road the next morning. We tend to be night people (but we won't keep you up if you're not!) We are not high maintenance, so if you're interested but think your place is too small... it's probably not too small.

Thursday July 25 - Mount Rainier National Park, maybe? Camping. Do you have any advice?
Friday July 26 - Olympic National Park. Camping in the Hoh Rain Forest area, probably.
Saturday July 27 - Seattle. Can we stay with you? Will you show us the best vegan restaurant(s)?
Sunday July 28 - North Cascades National Park, maybe? Camping. Do you have any advice?
Monday July 29 - Spokane. Will probably try to find a couchsurfing host.
Tuesday July 30 - Glacier National Park

The schedule's possibly flexible in Washington. I could imagine us deciding that any of Portland, Olympic, or Seattle is worthy of 2 nights and therefore scratching Mount Rainier or North Cascades.
Because we're traveling with a 6 year old, we prefer hikes that are 1 to 2 miles total (I wouldn't try any more than 3 miles). I don't know enough about those parks to know if we're going to have a great time there.

before the above dates we'll be visiting Portland and some other spots in Oregon, so if you have advice on those fronts, I posted a thread in the Portland forum

http://www.facebook.com/carrotmonogamy

Post subject: Re: Visiting Washington in July! Can I visit you?
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:51 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Don't scratch North Cascades! Favorite mountains!

SR 20 over the cascades is the prettiest road I've ever been on, so make sure you do that. I might be biased because we used to spend summers there when I was a kid, but the Twisp/Winthrop/Mazama area is pretty great, and SR 20 sets you down right in the middle of it. The Methow has some great swimming holes, and hikes up the Twisp River drainage are both seldom-used and beautiful. Reynolds Pass hike is my favorite, but might not be doable for a 6yo. Lookout Mountain is also a favorite, and is probably more doable with a kid. If you have a good car, you could also take the drive up to Hart's Pass and camp right near treeline, which would mean you wouldn't have to conquer a ton of uphill hiking before getting to good views. Poplar Flat is also a nice campground and doesn't require the rough roads Hart's Pass requires. It's near a nice quiet section of river. Twisp has a burrito place with a vegan option that's pretty good (rice, beans, GIANT roasted poblano, etc) + a nice farmer's market + a health food store that generally has a vegan lunch option, and has all the other vegan staples you'll need.

The Maple Pass Loop is right off of 20 and is probably the best quick access to classic North Cascades scenery I've ever seem.

Post subject: Re: Visiting Washington in July! Can I visit you?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:14 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

pastabake wrote:
Don't scratch North Cascades! Favorite mountains!

SR 20 over the cascades is the prettiest road I've ever been on, so make sure you do that. I might be biased because we used to spend summers there when I was a kid, but the Twisp/Winthrop/Mazama area is pretty great, and SR 20 sets you down right in the middle of it. The Methow has some great swimming holes, and hikes up the Twisp River drainage are both seldom-used and beautiful. Reynolds Pass hike is my favorite, but might not be doable for a 6yo. Lookout Mountain is also a favorite, and is probably more doable with a kid. If you have a good car, you could also take the drive up to Hart's Pass and camp right near treeline, which would mean you wouldn't have to conquer a ton of uphill hiking before getting to good views. Poplar Flat is also a nice campground and doesn't require the rough roads Hart's Pass requires. It's near a nice quiet section of river. Twisp has a burrito place with a vegan option that's pretty good (rice, beans, GIANT roasted poblano, etc) + a nice farmer's market + a health food store that generally has a vegan lunch option, and has all the other vegan staples you'll need.

The Maple Pass Loop is right off of 20 and is probably the best quick access to classic North Cascades scenery I've ever seem.

Thanks! I've kept it on the list because of your post.
Camping right at Diablo Lake seems like a reasonable option, but I will look into the above options. As for the car, it's reliable, but it's a sedan, no four wheel drive.

I am wondering a bit if I am getting in over my head on overnight temperatures in some of these parks - we are not cold weather campers... we're summer folks!

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]