| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: An idea?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:29 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

So, I've been sitting here, feeling antsy because I'm not doing any activism-y stuff. I did a TON a few years back, but I've been stuck in a rut of work/socialize/hobbies, and I want to make some new friends who have the same political beliefs as me (to keep me motivated! and happy!)

I've been thinking of doing a once-month vegan dinner on Sundays at my house. All attendees must donate at least $5 (the first $25.00 would go to the groceries needed for the meal) to donate to Pigs Peace, so it all stays local. We can meet new people, plan events, talk about issues we all care about, and all that jazz. I think it would be a fun way to meet people, but I'm super freaked out by social events.

Tell me this would be a good idea! I really, really want to do this, and I think (I live in Fremont) it's a good location to do it, too. And I love cooking for big groups of people. We've tried doing dinners with friends, but our friends kind of suck.

Would anyone 'round these parts be interested? I'm thinking of advertising at Sidecar and having a cap of 20 people per dinner to start.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

Post subject: Re: An idea?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:49 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I do a supper club with jdfunks here in Portland. It's awesome but a lot of hard work. We did a story in the latest issue of TOFU Magazine about it (http://www.ilovetofu.ca). If you're cooking for 20 it might be pretty hard for you to actually socialize with people without help in the kitchen and serving, unless you're going to have it all out buffet style. Also, keep in mind, to get people to pay $30 bucks for something you're going to have to do a lot of marketing, even if it obviously worth it to you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:35 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I'll have to read the article when I'm not half asleep!
It would only be a $5 donation per person. And I'm so used to cooking for that many people (my family is huge), that the cooking itself doesn't bother me one bit! I already know the balancing act of cooking/hosting/etc.
It's the getting the message out part, trying to advertise/market it, give it a real feeling/vibe...it's still in the idea phase, so I'm open to all suggestions.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:49 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I think it's a great idea. Have you checked out Meetup.com? Seattle already has several vegan meetup groups and more that are vegetarian. Some are social, some activist. You could try attending some of those? I love the idea (since I don't know one single other vegan in real life anymore), but the events are usually at night, when I can't go. And now I live an hour and a half outside of Seattle. Plus, I don't have the scratch to eat out. Personally, I'd prefer a meetup that was a bit more active, like going for a hike or a walk around Greenlake or something. You can't interact as much, but if it's a fairly small group should be ok. Or a doggy playdate would be perfect (for me). My pup wants a buddy!

Bottom line, though, I, too,want to get back to doing more. I used to do a bunch of stuff with NARN but it's been years.

Anyone north of Seattle out there?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:05 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'd be down! I live in the U district, so super close to Freemont!

I actually don't know any other vegans, so I'd love to meet some new people. I think you could even just make it a potluck type thing.

Oh! Maybe it could be like a group of people for work parties at pigs peace? And then after wards a potluck?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:23 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Does PP even have work parties anymore? Every time I've asked about them they say there aren't any planned.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:57 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Oh, I didn't realize they didn't have them anymore. I was just thinking that it might be easier to get 5-6 people than 20, and a work party would get a lot more done than the $10 from those people would.

Psado's still has work parties, so that'd be an option as well. Though I think it's farther away.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:26 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I love this idea and would consider coordinating a visit up from Portland just to take part. If I was already in Seattle than I'd be there if at all practical!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:02 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

And there are a couple of Meetup's this week to benefit farm animal sanctuaries.....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:09 am 
Huffs Nooch

I've been having a similar thought! I was thinking of starting a Sunday Supper Club at my place, too, but potluck-style with everyone bringing one dish from a particular cookbook (or blog, or culinary genre...). That way costs are reduced, there's a fun theme each time, and everyone can get in on the cooking fun. Want to join forces and make it happen? :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:10 am 
Huffs Nooch

I've been having a similar thought! I was thinking of starting a Sunday Supper Club at my place, too, but potluck-style with everyone bringing one dish from a particular cookbook (or blog, or culinary genre...). That way costs are reduced, there's a fun theme each time, and everyone can get in on the cooking fun. Want to join forces and make it happen? :)