| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Visiting 6-9 Oct: Tips & Folks to explore with wanted!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:44 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Hello Seattle folks,

I'm planning my next visit to your city & would love your thoughts on how best to enjoy my time up there. Also, it would be lovely if any of you would like to meet up & wander about with me!

While I welcome any & all suggestions, I thought I'd get things started with a list of things I'm definitely interested in:

- Community spaces, such as cafes, libraries & bookstores: Which really stand out to you? Where do you go to find out whats happening around town and/or to meet cool folks?
- Bargains, freebies & other frugal delights: As usual, I'll have minimal cash but even when thats less of an issue I still enjoy hunting for great deals! What are some specific places, times or tricks to getting great food for less? Whats your favorite Grocery Outlet, Goodwill or local version of these sorts of places?
- Walking & Nature spots: What are some nice natural areas and neighborhoods where you enjoy relaxing or wandering about in or near Seattle?
- Day trips, particularly by local/regional transit: When you want some time away from Seattle, where do you like to go? I'm often but not always on foot so I'm very interested in spots that I can reach using public transit.

Go! :)

Post subject: Re: Visiting 6-9 Oct: Tips & Folks to explore with wanted!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:28 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Where are you staying? Seattle proper? What neighborhood? A 'burb?

That would help for ideas, especially if you might use public transport :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:46 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Thanks for the reply. I'll be staying up north in the "Maple Leaf" area but please share ideas for all over Seattle & beyond! I try to visit Seattle at least once every few months so even if I don't make it somewhere this time chances are that I'll check it out later.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:23 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

then you've probably read about my undying love for Gordito's (85th and Greenwood)....I posted in the Seattle dining thread. my favorite place to eat ever. have a good time whilst here!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:30 am 
Dead by dawn

For walking and nature spots, check out Discovery Park. There are a pair of looped trails that go through the woods and, with the larger loop, down to the water. Pretty, slightly more hike than walk but easy. I've lucked out and seen some bald eagles there a couple of times.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:27 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Discovery Park is great. Also near Maple Leaf is Carkeek Park. Lots of trails, right on the Sound.

But one of my favorite things to do with good company is to just set out on foot. Since you're in the city, I'd just grab a coffee and set out wandering around. I love looking at houses and searching the shops in the different districts (especially fun in the ID looking at vegan/Buddhist foods!). Lots of stuff to see when you're on foot. I'd frequently spend an entire day walking from my house in Greenwood to downtown and beyond. Maybe weird to some, but to me a guaranteed good time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:23 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

A ferry ride is always my pat answer for a cheap, pedestrian-friendly day trip. The crossing to Bainbridge Island (where I live) takes 35 minutes and you'll see some pretty views. You can head right back to Seattle or walk around Winslow (downtown Bainbridge) - there are lots of shops and restaurants (including a little vegan place, Emmy's Vege House), a new art museum and a nice park.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:51 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Pinko!! I used to live in Winslow! Such a cute place.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:20 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Thanks for the great replies!

I visited Gordito's on my last visit and it's now on my list of places to return to. Discovery Park is also on my short list. I've driven through and checked out the visitors center but thats it... I've also briefly visited Carkeek Park though it was several years back and I'd enjoy exploring it more too!

tofucheez, I also very much like just picking an area and starting out! Might you (and/or any other cool folks) be free to join me for such an excursion, even for a short while?

Regardless, I'm sure that I'll end up rambling around but with limited time and Seattle being such a massive metro area, I'd like to get some suggestions for particular areas that might be particularly neat. I have a fairly good grasp on the city overall and want to keep exploring it in more depth. Been on any good walks lately folks?

The ferry between Seattle and Bainbridge/Winslow is also one of my top suggestions for folks visiting the Puget Sound and a meal at Emmy's makes it all that much better! I even have some BOGO WSF coupons from my 2013 Seattle Chinook Book!

On that note, have any of you had a look at the new Seattle Chinook Book and if so, what are some of the new &/or better coupons for 2014? By the way, sharing & swapping coupons is a favorite of mine - anyone down?

So we're off to a great start! Now what do you folks suggest for hangouts - cafes, bookstores & other cool spaces? Any favorite spots for frugal treasure hunting & cheap eats?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:11 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'd love to hang out but ironically I'll be in Portland during that time!

And I've no Chinook book :)

I assume you've already done Pizza Pi? Not cheap, but good (UDistrict).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:33 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Woohoo - almost time for my visit! Sadly, I've not yet heard from anyone wanting to hangout...

Have fun in Portlandia tofu - hopefully you know folks down here?

I've had pizza from Pizza Pi. It's been awhile and honestly I didn't care much for it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:11 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Thanks! I'm actually here right now!