| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bamboo Garden Isn't Vegan
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:58 am 
Nailed to the V

Local vegan activists have done an investigation of Bamboo Garden, and it turns out they are using lots of products containing eggs, dairy, and honey: http://justanotherveganin.wix.com/bambo ... 6f7fca5cc5

I've been suspicious of them for a while - I was certain that their bacon was Morningstar Farms, as I ate a lot of that stuff before I was vegan - but this is still very upsetting.

Post subject: Re: Bamboo Garden Isn't Vegan
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:12 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Isn't this pretty extremely dangerous? For those with allergies etc? I don't have an allergy, just an intolerance, but if I ate dairy I'd be knocked out sick for days. Is it not illegal in the US to do something like this?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:45 am 
Dead by dawn

You know, I have always been a little skeptical of them because it all seemed too good to be true, but the fact that they have their kosher certification convinced me that they were legit and understood what they could and couldn't feed people. Ugh.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:07 pm 
Grandfathered In

Wait—what?

Well this forking sucks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:09 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Oh no. That sucks!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:27 pm 
Nailed to the V

monkeytoes wrote:
You know, I have always been a little skeptical of them because it all seemed too good to be true, but the fact that they have their kosher certification convinced me that they were legit and understood what they could and couldn't feed people. Ugh.

Someone in a Vegan Seattle FB group accessed their kosher certification - it's a dairy certification, indicating that the products contain dairy and are kosher. So more support for the allegations.

So sad and so angry.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:35 pm 
Dead by dawn

Well fork

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:09 pm 
Grandfathered In

Rotten liars.

I want all my money back.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:43 am 
Grandfathered In

What about other places? Are they all under suspicion now?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:49 pm 
Nailed to the V

FootFace wrote:

A lot of people are asking that. I learned from a few friends that In The Bowl was revealed to be lying about their fake meats a few years ago, but somehow I never heard about that until now. Same about Jhanjay. I know that there's some suspicion about Moonlight Cafe, but nobody's undertaken an investigation. I saw one comment doubting Loving Hut and a lot more expressing their confidence in Loving Hut. Nobody seems worried about Araya's.

My husband and I eat at Snappy Dragon a fair bit. They don't have fake meats but we're going to contact them to ask about things like their potsticker dough.

If I ever find out that Blossom in Renton has been lying about what has egg/milk in it, I will just drown in a pool of tears.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:11 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I find this whole thing really bizarre and incomprehensible. Surely there are vegan products available that they could use instead? And the whole allergy thing - why risk making someone really sick? I am painfully intolerant to dairy so would be very angry if I someone gave me a "vegan" meal which made me ill!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:18 pm 
Nailed to the V

Quail wrote:
I find this whole thing really bizarre and incomprehensible. Surely there are vegan products available that they could use instead? And the whole allergy thing - why risk making someone really sick? I am painfully intolerant to dairy so would be very angry if I someone gave me a "vegan" meal which made me ill!

It doesn't make any sense to me, either. Looks like most of the products are Worthington, and almost everything they make comes in a vegan version.

A few people are saying they have called the restaurant in the past couple of days to ask, and the restaurant is now saying - as they do on the audio from the investigation - that they have vegan options but lots of their food has milk and egg. They are claiming this is a recent change, as the restaurant has new owners in the past year or so; however, this is also a lie, as records show that the restaurant has not changed hands in at least 10 years.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:51 pm 
Grandfathered In

Moonlight?!

Jhanjay?!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:22 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I feel like i trust Teapot vegetarian house in Redmond. They don't have a million different types of fake meat. I looove blossom in Renton a lot. I had a jackfruit salad that was so good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:15 am 
Grandfathered In

Have you read the comments on the Slog article about this?

Don't.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:08 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

veganchubosaurus wrote:
FootFace wrote:

A lot of people are asking that. I learned from a few friends that In The Bowl was revealed to be lying about their fake meats a few years ago, but somehow I never heard about that until now. Same about Jhanjay. I know that there's some suspicion about Moonlight Cafe, but nobody's undertaken an investigation. I saw one comment doubting Loving Hut and a lot more expressing their confidence in Loving Hut. Nobody seems worried about Araya's.

My husband and I eat at Snappy Dragon a fair bit. They don't have fake meats but we're going to contact them to ask about things like their potsticker dough.

If I ever find out that Blossom in Renton has been lying about what has egg/milk in it, I will just drown in a pool of tears.

I will be drowning in a pool of tears with you if Blossom isn't really mostly vegan! GAH. I go there every time we visit my boyfriend's family.

I'm curious about the Snappy Dragon potstickers, if you find out they aren't really vegan let me know please! I also eat there a fair amount with my family when visiting.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:18 pm 
Nailed to the V

Oh, the Stranger finally deigned to write about it? The investigators were trying to get them to write about it before they set up the blog post, but they weren't interested.

I should say that I have no reason not to trust, say, Blossom or Snappy Dragon. I think everyone's just a little paranoid now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:34 pm 
Grandfathered In

I am definitely paranoid now.

And I am still sick of the Stranger's incessantly dismissive anti-vegan attitude. But I've only felt this way for the past 20 years or so.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:35 pm 
***LIES!!!***

veganchubosaurus wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

Someone in a Vegan Seattle FB group accessed their kosher certification - it's a dairy certification, indicating that the products contain dairy and are kosher. So more support for the allegations.

So sad and so angry.

This is so old but actually this is not what that certification means, in case you come across it in other vegan restaurants. Most kosher supervisors will only certify "meat" or "dairy." If it says dairy that doesn't mean there is any actual dairy in it, they just don't have another meaningful certification, they're really just communicating "definitely not meat." Even if they certified "pareve" (that is the only other choice), that category could still include eggs and fish. For example, Oreos have a kosher dairy certification. They do not contain dairy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:32 pm 
Nailed to the V

Ariann wrote:
veganchubosaurus wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

So sad and so angry.

This is so old but actually this is not what that certification means, in case you come across it in other vegan restaurants. Most kosher supervisors will only certify "meat" or "dairy." If it says dairy that doesn't mean there is any actual dairy in it, they just don't have another meaningful certification, they're really just communicating "definitely not meat." Even if they certified "pareve" (that is the only other choice), that category could still include eggs and fish. For example, Oreos have a kosher dairy certification. They do not contain dairy.

Good to know! Turned out to be basically irrelevant in the face of so much other overwhelming evidence, but I appreciate the clarification. It was pretty confusing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:27 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Jeez...I'm visiting Seattle soon and this was one oldies I was planning to revisit but not anymore. ugh :(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:49 am 
Grandfathered In

You're coming to Seattle?!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:24 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Yep! I will be there for a work conference that's taking place downtown.