| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: road construction on I-5 in tacoma
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:21 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

tomorrow is the day i leave for my weekend PNW trip and apparently there is major construction on the southbound side of I-5? and my friend is freaking out.

we get into Seattle around 10 and will be getting a rental car and leaving Seattle to drive to PDX and stopping in Olympia on the way for lunch.

is this road construction going to be a major fork up for us?
is there a way around it that doesnt add hours to our trip?

is it not that bad since it will be the middle of the day on a saturday?

we're driving back to Seattle sunday morning but that shouldnt be affected right? what i read it was just the southbound side that was going to be down to one lane??

my general plan is to see what happens when i get there. once we leave the airport i figure google maps will magically tell me what to do. it usually tells me how long it will take and tries to reroute around traffic.
that's my plan.

my friend said to download waze but i dont know what waze will do differently for me than google maps does already and i dont want to have to figure out how to use something new

Post subject: Re: road construction on I-5 in tacoma
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:10 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I-5 around JBLM (further south of the area where the closure will be) is pretty much always awful (and there's a big air show there this weekend, so it might be worse than usual) and this sounds like it will turn it into an even bigger cluster. Unfortunately, there's not really a better direct way to get to Portland. I think you can go a back way that will get to 12 and you can get to I-5 from there, but it adds hours onto the trip. Do you have a specific time you need to be in Portland by?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:20 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

well technically we dont *need* to be in PDX til that night for the show (doors at 7 maybe?) but we wanted to like go to our hotel and change and do a couple quick PDX things and eat dinner.....

so i dont think we'll be late for the show (cause it shouldnt take us like 6 hours i hope) but it may ruin our other plans which would stink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:20 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

So it ended up not being bad. Looking at google maps there was a slight delay but it rerouted us. I think we ended up getting caught in the air show traffic when we got back on I-5. We stopped for lunch so not sure how long it took us total but between 3-4 hours which seems reasonable