| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Weee New Sub-Forum
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:54 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:10 am
Posts: 1075
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Hello.

_________________
'forking. bogan as forking fork' - Joshua
'I can puke and be naked anywhere I want' - Fee


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weee New Sub-Forum
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:38 pm 
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:01 am
Posts: 1295
Location: sunshine coast, australia
what??? our two countries put together are finally as happening as a single US state? woohhooooooo!!! go us! haha. did you do this caterpillar?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weee New Sub-Forum
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:01 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:34 pm
Posts: 922
Location: Hellbourne, VIC
I was quietly scowling to myself about us not having our own subforum just recently! Maybe the mods read my mind? (Or maybe someone else asked if we could make that happen). Anyway, this is exciting!

I should definitely start posting more.

_________________
If I chew on garlic that's been in a vagina, isn't that exploiting SOMEONE? - coldandsleepy


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weee New Sub-Forum
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:13 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:10 am
Posts: 1075
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Haha no it wasn't me, it looks like someone asked for more Canadian ones and a Europe one and Brian went on a forum creating spree.

Not that there's been much action around here lately anyway. What's been happening? I'm in Melbourne now, except by Melbourne I actually mean Frankston *cries just a little bit*.

_________________
'forking. bogan as forking fork' - Joshua
'I can puke and be naked anywhere I want' - Fee


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weee New Sub-Forum
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:24 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:34 pm
Posts: 922
Location: Hellbourne, VIC
Ahh! Melbourne! Hey, come to the Co-op at Melbourne Uni sometime if you can (I'm working there Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday). Also, next time I have a public gig with my band (our genre is "aquatica" - think the piano accordion/cello/vocals duo version of Antony and the Johnsons singing sea shanties and songs full of ocean metaphors) I will totally let you know.

But bleh, Frankston. That's a looooong way from anything. Have you been to La Panella yet?

(I am excited to have another PPKer in Melbourne. I think there's at least one or two others, but we've never managed to meet up).

_________________
If I chew on garlic that's been in a vagina, isn't that exploiting SOMEONE? - coldandsleepy


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weee New Sub-Forum
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:52 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:12 pm
Posts: 3828
Location: Canberra, Australia
I'm in Melbourne for a couple of days soon. We get there on the morning of the 26th (my birthday! I'm just going there so I can eat ridiculously well all day) and then drive over to Adelaide at probably lunchtime-ish on the 28th. I'm staying with my brother and he lives super close to La Panella and I'm way more excited about that than I am about seeing him (sorry not sorry).

_________________
Recipes. Rants. Raunch.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weee New Sub-Forum
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:55 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:12 pm
Posts: 3828
Location: Canberra, Australia
Also we need to start so many more threads.

MAYBE A CANBERRA THREAD FOR EVERYONE WHO NEVER COMES HERE.

_________________
Recipes. Rants. Raunch.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weee New Sub-Forum
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:56 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:57 pm
Posts: 67
Location: NZ
Does anyone have Melbourne suggestions for places that are in the CBD or easy to get to by public transport? I lived there for about 6 months 5 years ago and haven't been back since so I was thinking of taking a trip. I can't really think where I used to eat although Lard of the Fries is definitely on the list.

I had totally forgotten about La Panella, when I first moved I stayed out near there and ate there like every day for a week but I think only went back one other time so I'll have to go there too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weee New Sub-Forum
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:59 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:42 am
Posts: 693
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
This calls for a big plate of anzac biscuits!

_________________
Visit my blog! http://magicjelly.com.au/blog/


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weee New Sub-Forum
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:07 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:34 pm
Posts: 922
Location: Hellbourne, VIC
Erinnerung wrote:
I'm in Melbourne for a couple of days soon. We get there on the morning of the 26th (my birthday! I'm just going there so I can eat ridiculously well all day) and then drive over to Adelaide at probably lunchtime-ish on the 28th. I'm staying with my brother and he lives super close to La Panella and I'm way more excited about that than I am about seeing him (sorry not sorry).


La Panella meet-up? I live like 10 mins walk from there! I'm working all day on the 26th, though (which is unfortunate cos that's also my partner's birthday! It's a good day for awesome people to be born, obviously). But I could do the Wed arvo if you'll still be around then.

_________________
If I chew on garlic that's been in a vagina, isn't that exploiting SOMEONE? - coldandsleepy


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weee New Sub-Forum
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:55 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:34 pm
Posts: 922
Location: Hellbourne, VIC
zinnifer wrote:
Does anyone have Melbourne suggestions for places that are in the CBD or easy to get to by public transport? I lived there for about 6 months 5 years ago and haven't been back since so I was thinking of taking a trip. I can't really think where I used to eat although Lard of the Fries is definitely on the list.

I had totally forgotten about La Panella, when I first moved I stayed out near there and ate there like every day for a week but I think only went back one other time so I'll have to go there too.


So many suggestions! I mostly only know stuff northside, though, cos that's where I live/spend all my time.

Las Vegan: on Smith St, take the 86 tram from the CBD. It's super-close. They do cafe food and cakes and stuff. Plus bottomless soy chai!
Trippy Tacos: Not strictly vegan, but they've got lots of vegan options. They're now on Gertrude St, also on the 86 tram (just before you turn on to Smith St).
Also on Smith St: Friends of the Earth, Soul Food (cafe with plenty of vegan options - I don't think they're super-amazing in terms of food, it's just some nice salads and patties, but it's a good place for a coffee and they usually have vegan muffins or something).
Yong Green Foods: On Brunswick St, Fitzroy (112 tram). They do sort of Japanese-Thai-Korean fusion stuff, plus nachos and burgers and things. Also some delicious raw stuff including smoothies and desserts.
Veggie Kitchen: In Northcote, on the 112 tram line (St George's Rd). They're a Taiwanese place, nearly everything is vegan, they make their own tofu and it's sublime. Basically only go there if you feel like a tofu feast, though. They're really amazing.

If you get to Coburg (number 19 tram along Sydney Rd, or the Upfield train line), I highly suggest checking out Half Moon for kebabs. Hands down the best falafel I've ever had. Try the "cauli-baba" (roasted cauliflower and eggplant with babaganoush and falafel etc. Amazing), but make sure to ask for it with no yoghurt. They're super-friendly and accommodating. Also, if you're in Coburg you should check out Al-Alamy for za'atar pizzas and spinach pies. Yum! Those two places are in the Coburg Market area, Half Moon is in the piazza, and Al-Alamy is right near the train station.

I'm pretty sure there's like a million other places to eat... I know Crumbs Bakehouse has a cafe somewhere and they do these incredible vegan sourdough donuts. My favourites are the lemon-filled ones.
We also sell said donuts at my work, which I always spruik on here (I work at the Melbourne Uni Food Co-op - we're at the uni, in Parkville, on the first floor of Union House). Our food isn't the most super-amazing food in the world (we have pretty limited cooking facilities), but it's pretty cheap and filling. Lots of vegan pies, salad and tofu etc rolls, a huge plate of curries, dahl, and rice for $6 (but you have to come before 1:30pm for the plate cos they often sell out fast), and there's heaps of vegan cakes and slices and stuff. Lots of things are gluten-free, too. And of course, there's me! (But I am not particularly edible).

_________________
If I chew on garlic that's been in a vagina, isn't that exploiting SOMEONE? - coldandsleepy


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weee New Sub-Forum
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:24 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:17 pm
Posts: 152
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Yaaaaay! Totally going to start a Brisbane thread.

_________________
Artist formerly known as VeganAmy. @AmyVegan
http://ironchefvegan.blogspot.com.au/ - now infrequently updated!


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weee New Sub-Forum
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:12 pm
Posts: 3828
Location: Canberra, Australia
gunk wrote:
La Panella meet-up? I live like 10 mins walk from there! I'm working all day on the 26th, though (which is unfortunate cos that's also my partner's birthday! It's a good day for awesome people to be born, obviously). But I could do the Wed arvo if you'll still be around then.


Possibly! I haven't planned times for stuff yet, but I'm meant to be going to a tattoo consultation and popping in to the IWDA office at some point while I'm down. I'll figure it out soon! Or, you know, just go in to La Panella at any time and you'll probably find me wedged in the doorway or something.

_________________
Recipes. Rants. Raunch.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weee New Sub-Forum
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:17 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:34 pm
Posts: 922
Location: Hellbourne, VIC
Erinnerung wrote:
gunk wrote:
La Panella meet-up? I live like 10 mins walk from there! I'm working all day on the 26th, though (which is unfortunate cos that's also my partner's birthday! It's a good day for awesome people to be born, obviously). But I could do the Wed arvo if you'll still be around then.


Possibly! I haven't planned times for stuff yet, but I'm meant to be going to a tattoo consultation and popping in to the IWDA office at some point while I'm down. I'll figure it out soon! Or, you know, just go in to La Panella at any time and you'll probably find me wedged in the doorway or something.


Well, let me know! Tattoo consultation sounds exciting. Where are you going/what are you getting?

_________________
If I chew on garlic that's been in a vagina, isn't that exploiting SOMEONE? - coldandsleepy


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weee New Sub-Forum
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:38 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:57 pm
Posts: 67
Location: NZ
gunk wrote:
zinnifer wrote:
Does anyone have Melbourne suggestions for places that are in the CBD or easy to get to by public transport? I lived there for about 6 months 5 years ago and haven't been back since so I was thinking of taking a trip. I can't really think where I used to eat although Lard of the Fries is definitely on the list.

I had totally forgotten about La Panella, when I first moved I stayed out near there and ate there like every day for a week but I think only went back one other time so I'll have to go there too.


So many suggestions! I mostly only know stuff northside, though, cos that's where I live/spend all my time.

Las Vegan: on Smith St, take the 86 tram from the CBD. It's super-close. They do cafe food and cakes and stuff. Plus bottomless soy chai!
Trippy Tacos: Not strictly vegan, but they've got lots of vegan options. They're now on Gertrude St, also on the 86 tram (just before you turn on to Smith St).
Also on Smith St: Friends of the Earth, Soul Food (cafe with plenty of vegan options - I don't think they're super-amazing in terms of food, it's just some nice salads and patties, but it's a good place for a coffee and they usually have vegan muffins or something).
Yong Green Foods: On Brunswick St, Fitzroy (112 tram). They do sort of Japanese-Thai-Korean fusion stuff, plus nachos and burgers and things. Also some delicious raw stuff including smoothies and desserts.
Veggie Kitchen: In Northcote, on the 112 tram line (St George's Rd). They're a Taiwanese place, nearly everything is vegan, they make their own tofu and it's sublime. Basically only go there if you feel like a tofu feast, though. They're really amazing.

If you get to Coburg (number 19 tram along Sydney Rd, or the Upfield train line), I highly suggest checking out Half Moon for kebabs. Hands down the best falafel I've ever had. Try the "cauli-baba" (roasted cauliflower and eggplant with babaganoush and falafel etc. Amazing), but make sure to ask for it with no yoghurt. They're super-friendly and accommodating. Also, if you're in Coburg you should check out Al-Alamy for za'atar pizzas and spinach pies. Yum! Those two places are in the Coburg Market area, Half Moon is in the piazza, and Al-Alamy is right near the train station.

I'm pretty sure there's like a million other places to eat... I know Crumbs Bakehouse has a cafe somewhere and they do these incredible vegan sourdough donuts. My favourites are the lemon-filled ones.
We also sell said donuts at my work, which I always spruik on here (I work at the Melbourne Uni Food Co-op - we're at the uni, in Parkville, on the first floor of Union House). Our food isn't the most super-amazing food in the world (we have pretty limited cooking facilities), but it's pretty cheap and filling. Lots of vegan pies, salad and tofu etc rolls, a huge plate of curries, dahl, and rice for $6 (but you have to come before 1:30pm for the plate cos they often sell out fast), and there's heaps of vegan cakes and slices and stuff. Lots of things are gluten-free, too. And of course, there's me! (But I am not particularly edible).



Awesome, thanks very much for the suggestions! Sooooo many options compared to here.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weee New Sub-Forum
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:12 pm
Posts: 3828
Location: Canberra, Australia
gunk wrote:
Well, let me know! Tattoo consultation sounds exciting. Where are you going/what are you getting?


I'm going to see Amy Duncan at Tama. I've been meaning to see Amy for years, since she was based in Adelaide, but I'm only just getting around to it. I'm getting nightingales and roses and some other garden-type stuff (I figure she'll just draw something and it'll probably be awesome) on my thigh. I had a nightingale and roses there previously but they kind of sucked, so I've lasered it a bit and we're going to cover it up. Super excited to get it fixed up, the whole thing has been a years-long process and I want to see it finished so I can move on to other things.

_________________
Recipes. Rants. Raunch.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer