| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: moving to NZ for a year
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:48 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Hey! so I just found out how easy it is for me to get a working holiday visa for a year to come see NZ for a year. I, uh, am VERY strongly considering it since I still have some grace on my loan repayment, I know some printmakers down that way looking to collaborate, and I don't have work lined up for the next school year.

Any NZ tips? What do you love there? what do you hate? how is the part-time work game? what cities are the best?

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://emmelinesolomon.tumblr.com

Post subject: Re: moving to NZ for a year
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:25 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I have NO tips but am so jellus! my fav writer, Katherine Mansfield comes from there ... she is said to have changed the 20th century short story & was the only writer Virginia Woolf was ever jealous of ...

New Zealand has NO serpents ... after Saint Patrick cleared them out of Ireland he went on his hols to NZ & tidied up there ...

my apologies that I have no info / advise about printmakers ...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:57 am 
Hail Seitan!

Things I love: the open spaces, the fresh food (compared to the UK, anyway; most produce is grown in NZ, whereas here it seems like everything is imported and stale), the people, Pacific culture, Lake Taupo, you can buy fresh falafel mixture at any supermarket.

Things I hate: public transport sucks, the cost of living is quite high, the current backward conservative government.

I've lived in Palmerston North (small provincial place where I grew up), Wellington (my favourite city in the entire universe) and Auckland (also a really nice city, but suffers from urban sprawl and can be hard to get around). Almost everywhere is expensive, but Auckland is off the charts expensive. I was studying and working part-time when I lived in Auckland, so it is doable, but it isn't particularly fun. If you want to try and figure out living expenses, take a look at listings on http://www.trademe.co.nz/flatmates-wanted for flatmates (that's kiwi for room mates) for an idea on rent.

NZ hasn't traditionally been a particularly vegan-friendly place (it's built on meat & dairy exports) but the difference between when I moved to the UK in 2011 and when I visited in December was amazing. In part because of an awesome campaign called the V Sticker (http://speakupforanimals.org.nz/v-sticker-campaign/) so if you do go, look out for bright green stickers on cafe/restaurant windows indicating that they serve vegan meals!

Happy to answer (or at least, try to answer) any other questions you have. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:55 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Yeah, New Zealand!

I've never been to the States so have no comparisons there, but I really love living in New Zealand and know several people who have shifted here from the UK and enjoyed it.

Public transport does suck, especially if you're from a city that has an actual planned public transport system. I live in Auckland so don't really find or notice I guess that it's expensive because it just is what it is.

There are more and more vegan food options, both in cafes/restaurants and supermarkets but a huge drop in packaged/processed vegan food compared to what seems to be available everywhere else in the world!
I'm a fan of our climate and have to say that most New Zealanders are painstakingly friendly. If you like beaches/parks/bush walks/general outdoors stuff then it's a great place to be : )