| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New (or old) products that you love (or hate)!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:52 am 
Bathes in Braggs

keeping my eye out for those! i'm quite obsessed by capsicum/chilli/paprika flavours right now. i've been putting byron bay chilli co. "smokin mango chilli sauce with chipotles" on everything i eat. fave new product, but not an intentionally vegan one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

LittleChicken wrote:
joshua wrote:
didn't spoons shut?

Noooooo! Please don't let it be true!

The shopfront on Enmore Road is closed, it's a vegan cafe now. It seems like Spoon's will reopen at some point in the future. Not sure if you can still get stuff at the markets, might be worth checking out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Also that Byron Bay mango chipotle sauce is the best! All of their sauces are vegan except for the coconut one, which has fish oil in it (gross).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:30 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Erinnerung wrote:
LittleChicken wrote:
joshua wrote:
didn't spoons shut?

Noooooo! Please don't let it be true!

The shopfront on Enmore Road is closed, it's a vegan cafe now. It seems like Spoon's will reopen at some point in the future. Not sure if you can still get stuff at the markets, might be worth checking out.

Doh, I didn't realise they had a stall at the markets! Ah well, there's always next time.

I just discovered Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Milk and Chocolate Almond Milk yesterday at Woolworths. I'm quite excited to try the almond milk in cooking as it's the first unsweetened non-dairy milk I've been able to find. I think I'll try using it to make Isa's mayonnaise this week. The chocolate almond milk is nice, although I'd prefer it had a little more cocoa and a little less sugar; it's a tad too sweet for my tastes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:16 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

LittleChicken wrote:
I just discovered Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Milk and Chocolate Almond Milk yesterday at Woolworths. I'm quite excited to try the almond milk in cooking as it's the first unsweetened non-dairy milk I've been able to find. I think I'll try using it to make Isa's mayonnaise this week. The chocolate almond milk is nice, although I'd prefer it had a little more cocoa and a little less sugar; it's a tad too sweet for my tastes.

is it the same as the US product? or is there an AU production facility too?

http://www.bluediamond.com/?navid=52 - nutritional info -> ingredients

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

You guys! You can get Frank's hot sauce at Woolies now! I'm super excited, I'd been driving across town to get it at this Filipino supermarket that carries heaps of American imports, but this is way easier and cheaper.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:55 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

That's exciting. I'm still not sure I know what "hot sauce" actually is, but I think I might pick some up and make the red hot tahini from the PPK blog.

These days I'm really pleased about the fact that all the Woolies veggie burgers are vegan - not that I buy them myself, really, but the fact that they're everywhere and cheap means that sausage-sizzle type events now have vegan options at least 75% of the time. Makes quidditch tournaments a LOT easier. As a bonus, they're quite tasty!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:31 am 
Saggy Butt

I sent the family to check out a health food store at the other end of the state that promotes itself as a vegan foods stockist, I was looking for soy cream. According to the staff at the store they've recently stopped stocking it, but it's made by Kingland and they did some looking up and said it was at Coles and Woolworths.
Well no it's not in my local ones, and a check of the Kingland site and there's no soy cream listed. Is there soy cream here in Oz?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:52 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

darksideknitter wrote:
I sent the family to check out a health food store at the other end of the state that promotes itself as a vegan foods stockist, I was looking for soy cream. According to the staff at the store they've recently stopped stocking it, but it's made by Kingland and they did some looking up and said it was at Coles and Woolworths.
Well no it's not in my local ones, and a check of the Kingland site and there's no soy cream listed. Is there soy cream here in Oz?

Some places stock MimicCreme and because it's in a tetra pack it's easy enough to buy online, although pricey. Then there's Soyatoo brand. Kingland do a sour cream but it's not very nice. If you have a stick blender, it's so much cheaper and really quick and easy to make cashew-soy cream yourself. No good if you have a nut allergy of course. I'm obsessed with making different kinds of cream and have a few recipes on my blog. http://magicjelly.com.au/blog/2013/07/n ... cream-etc/ http://magicjelly.com.au/blog/2012/07/v ... ped-cream/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:26 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

LittleChicken wrote:
I just discovered Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Milk ....

I bought some of that this week to try. I think it will take some getting used to as it's so much 'thinner' than my favourite soy milk (Vitasoy Hi Fibre).

Bought oat and rice milk to try as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:37 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I discovered a couple of months ago that all the Woolworths within driving distance now stock some Linda McCartney products.

Our favourite product is the Peri Peri Burgers. I usually buy half a dozen packs at a time because if we run out of them (or Woolies does), I get into trouble.

The sausages are nice and actually brown and look like 'real' sausages. I just keep one pack on hand when a quick meal is needed.

The mushroom and ale pies have a nice flavour but no matter how I cook them (oven temperature and cooking time), I can't get the bottom pastry to cook. It's always soggy and tastes like raw pastry. They come in foil containers and you're supposed to cook them in the foil. I've tried without the foil and it's worse. This is exactly the same problem I have with Fry's mushroom pies. For some reason, frozen vegan pastry items just don't come out nice and flaky like their meat equivalents.

Thankfully, I'm minutes from Mountain High Pies in the Blue Mountains who have a delicious range of veg*n pies.

http://mountainhighpies.com.au/

Linda McCartney has an enormous range of products in the UK but I doubt we'll more than the current three or four that are available. Woolworth's must have some arrangement with the distributors to stop Coles from stocking the products.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:22 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Boyfriend just bought home a bag of Beanfields bean and rice nacho chips, which are like Doritos only way better. They're American so they're imported and overpriced, but Woolies had them in the health food aisle and they are a forking TASTE SENSATION. They're also gluten free (I think, I kind of mangled the bag).

Also I got some Linda McCartney sausage rolls from Woolies a little while ago in the midst of end-of-semester panic when I had no time to cook. They were okay, but I can make way better ones with reasonably little effort so I probably won't bother with them again.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:58 am 
Bathes in Braggs

oh i forgot about this thread! i had weird chips that i can't get enough of from coles last week... i can't remember the brand, but they are lentil chips and they were in the health foods aisle :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:00 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Liking the Kirkland vegan chocolate chips from Costco. Very cheap at $9 for a huge bag!

Anyone known where to buy cheap nutritional yeast? I find it really expensive in Australia, whereas its very cheap in Canada (got a big bag last time I was there).

The Lotus one is like $12 for small bag!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:55 pm 

Speaking of lentil chips, love Chicca chips, stocked in Drakes Foodland http://www.piranhacorp.com.au/product/c ... ginal-75g/ I think only the plain are vegan, but that's good enough for me, they're delicious.

And I just tried King Island Creamer the other day and it is *soooooo* creamy and really doesn't have an overpowering coconut taste at all - love it! http://kingislandcoconutwater.com.au/our-products

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:02 pm 

otherdimension wrote:
Liking the Kirkland vegan chocolate chips from Costco. Very cheap at $9 for a huge bag!

Anyone known where to buy cheap nutritional yeast? I find it really expensive in Australia, whereas its very cheap in Canada (got a big bag last time I was there).

The Lotus one is like $12 for small bag!

Did you know you can buy it in larger sizes? We eat so much of it that I could almost justify buying this 4.5kg bag (that works out around $5 instead of $12 per 200g) https://www.organicbuyersgroup.com.au/s ... cts_id=939

Even the 500g bag works out at almost half the price of the 200g https://www.organicbuyersgroup.com.au/s ... cts_id=575

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:17 pm 
Tofu Pup

dalron wrote:
I discovered a couple of months ago that all the Woolworths within driving distance now stock some Linda McCartney products.

Our favourite product is the Peri Peri Burgers. I usually buy half a dozen packs at a time because if we run out of them (or Woolies does), I get into trouble.

I loved the Peri Peri burgers but when I transitioned from vegetarian to vegan, I had to give them up because of the egg. Sometimes I get more frustrated at veggie products that are not vegan than the mainstream grocery products because it is more disappointing when I find out I can't have them.

http://www.lindamccartneyfoods.co.uk/ourfood/periperiburger/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:00 am 
Tofu Pup

Erinnerung wrote:
Boyfriend just bought home a bag of Beanfields bean and rice nacho chips, which are like Doritos only way better. They're American so they're imported and overpriced, but Woolies had them in the health food aisle and they are a forking TASTE SENSATION. They're also gluten free (I think, I kind of mangled the bag).

I love these. I've tried the Nacho and the Salsa ones. I like the Nacho the best. The only thing stopping me from buying tons is the price. At $5 a bag, I'll have to limit myself to one bag per fortnightly shop.